Questionable Temporary Suspension on BackpackTF

Maelstrom

What does paying for premium have to do with anything? Just cause you give backpack.tf money doesn't exempt you from the rules.

7 minutes ago, mintyyy said:

its 2 days bro grow up

Maybe so, but when people who I know and talk to/trade with go to my backpacktf profile and see that I'm suspended, whatever the reason may be, it reflects poorly on me. The average person who goes to my profile and sees that are going to assume I was caught doing some shady stuff. That's just how it is.

11 minutes ago, wersady said:

What does paying for premium have to do with anything? Just cause you give backpack.tf money doesn't exempt you from the rules.

I appreciate feedback, but not from people who don't even bother to gather context. I'm not simply saying that since I have premium I shouldn't have to follow rules.

It is specifically written in the rules not do to that, a suspension might be a little harsh if its your first offence but if you’ve broken listing rules before then I’d say a suspension is justified. 2 days is a pretty short time regardless but I understand your concern for your image but people won’t see that if you disable your listings

20 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I appreciate feedback, but not from people who don't even bother to gather context. I'm not simply saying that since I have premium I shouldn't have to follow rules.

Fine then, let's take a look at this. https://backpack.tf/rules very clearly states that "Buy orders for specialized or professional killstreak weapons must be for any sheen/effect - listings stating things like "any but hypno-beam" violate this rule." (Buy Orders rule no 5). The rule is "unlisted" or "niche." If you didn't read the rules carefully and broke one by accident, that's on you.

You clearly think you're entitled to something, otherwise, you wouldn't have brought up the fact that you pay for premium or that you've "been using the site since it was created." Neither of those things mean anything. You broke a rule and got an appropriate, temporary ban.

You can't seem to accept the fact that you made a mistake, so you're trying to throw shade at the mods and stir up drama, and now that people are telling you you're wrong, you're just calling them stupid because they don't agree with you. Extremely childish behavior.

7 minutes ago, wersady said:

Fine then, let's take a look at this. https://backpack.tf/rules very clearly states that "Buy orders for specialized or professional killstreak weapons must be for any sheen/effect - listings stating things like "any but hypno-beam" violate this rule." (Buy Orders rule no 5). The rule is "unlisted" or "niche." If you didn't read the rules carefully and broke one by accident, that's on you.

You clearly think you're entitled to something, otherwise, you wouldn't have brought up the fact that you pay for premium or that you've "been using the site since it was created." Neither of those things mean anything. You broke a rule and got an appropriate, temporary ban.

You can't seem to accept the fact that you made a mistake, so you're trying to throw shade at the mods and stir up drama, and now that people are telling you you're wrong, you're just calling them stupid because they don't agree with you. Extremely childish behavior.

The rule is a new one, so yeah I didn't know about it. I also doubt many people have every rule and guideline memorized. I don't see an issue with speaking out when I feel I've been wronged, no matter how small an issue it is. It may be dramatic of me to have made a forum post of this event, but I may at least save someone else from making the same mistake. As far as me "calling people stupid" that don't agree with me, I'm not sure where you got that from unless you're referring to my joking response to Esteban... You initially made a seemingly shallow post on here and then I responded in kind, so now you've decided to become emotionally invested and hostile towards me and called me childish/entitled. I'm curious as to why you think a ban is necessary in this scenario as opposed to a warning? You seem to have formed a strong opinion on the subject once you decided you didn't like me.

https://imgur.com/a/NxXANnI

I was contacted by someone else who was temporarily suspended for the same reason who let me know that he was banned for only 24 hours for the same issue. I've blurred out their name for privacy reasons but I believe there should, at the very least, be a uniform punishment for breaking this rule.

I was banned for like 3 days but I was buying a bunch of pro ks kits for doing the same thing having a BO for any combo but was only looking for set combos, I have since fixed the issue and here's how for those wondering

https://imgur.com/a/HueJMKy 

this is something that isn't that big of a deal being temp banned for it the only thing is I wish a mod showed me how to fix my mistake when I got banned apposed to just saying if you want a specific combo list the kits for the specific combo well now I know

also bro tbh just chill for a bit its just a temp and not that big of a deal it could be a lot worse

1 minute ago, Sir Spoon The Second said:

I was banned for like 3 days but I was buying a bunch of pro ks kits for doing the same thing having a BO for any combo but was only looking for set combos, I have since fixed the issue and here's how for those wondering

https://imgur.com/a/HueJMKy 

this is something that isn't that big of a deal being temp banned for it the only thing is I wish a mod showed me how to fix my mistake when I got banned apposed to just saying if you want a specific combo list the kits for the specific combo well now I know

also bro tbh just chill for a bit its just a temp and not that big of a deal it could be a lot worse

Thank you for sharing. I may have made this post for selfish reasons, but at least maybe someone will be able to avoid the same issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

The rule is a new one,

The rule about killstreak kits was added in mid-2018, so it's not exactly a new one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The rule is a new one, so yeah I didn't know about it. I also doubt many people have every rule and guideline memorized. I don't see an issue with speaking out when I feel I've been wronged, no matter how small an issue it is. It may be dramatic of me to have made a forum post of this event, but I may at least save someone else from making the same mistake. As far as me "calling people stupid" that don't agree with me, I'm not sure where you got that from unless you're referring to my joking response to Esteban... You initially made a seemingly shallow post on here and then I responded in kind, so now you've decided to become emotionally invested and hostile towards me and called me childish/entitled. I'm curious as to why you think a ban is necessary in this scenario as opposed to a warning? You seem to have formed a strong opinion on the subject once you decided you didn't like me.

Been a rule since at least 2018 https://web.archive.org/web/20180220003848/https://backpack.tf/rules so I don't know where you're getting the idea that it's new. Your messages to the mods, initial response to me, and response to Esteban came off as very hostile and condescending IMO. Maybe that's not how you meant it but that's how I perceived it. A two-day ban for a first offense may be a bit much, but your response to the situation, in both your comments to the mods and in making this forum post, feel overly aggressive and overblown for what is ultimately a mild inconvenience.

I was contacted by someone else who was temporarily suspended for the same reason who let me know that he was banned for only 24 hours for the same issue. I've blurred out their name for privacy reasons but I believe there should, at the very least, be a uniform punishment for breaking this rule.

Ban length is usually based on the severity of the offense. A listing for a Pro-KS wrench kit may be considered a greater offense than, say, a Spec-KS axe kit, and therefore warrant a longer ban.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wersady said:

Ban length is usually based on the severity of the offense. A listing for a Pro-KS wrench kit may be considered a greater offense than, say, a Spec-KS axe kit, and therefore warrant a longer ban.

Ban length for classifieds depends on how many times you were banned for classifieds previously (1 day -> 3 days -> 1 week -> 1 month -> Perma), this has nothing to do with which killstreak kit you're buying.

• Like 3

In regards to the ban length being "2 days", it seems like the unban time is not localized since my friend 2 time zones over says the same time as me, and the one in the screenshot. If the timestamp is UTC then you're unbanned in ~10h from this comment.

8 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

https://imgur.com/a/pNCWlNI

Just gonna leave this here for anyone who cares. I know its only a 2 day suspension, but I pay for premium features on this site and it just seems wrong to me. Let me know if I deserved it.

Interesting, I see people do this all the time with spells/parts i.e they will put the price they're willing to pay for the modified item rather than the unmodified item.  So common I didn't even consider it was against the rules, learn something new everyday.

Anyway good to see the solution that Sir spoon shared

13 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Maybe so, but when people who I know and talk to/trade with go to my backpacktf profile and see that I'm suspended, whatever the reason may be, it reflects poorly on me. The average person who goes to my profile and sees that are going to assume I was caught doing some shady stuff. That's just how it is.

I'm going to stop you right there, after 24 hours, the suspension would have been lifted and no one would have been the wiser. Making a forums post drawing attention to yourself but also claiming you don't want your actions to "reflect poorly on me" is so unbelievably ironic. The average person can read, so it's detailed pretty clearly about your ban reason and it realistically hasn't stopped your trading within the 24 hour time frame. This just feels like sensationalism, Toughsox lists it out pretty clearly and in all my time being on the site, I've seen plenty of people get warned, suspended and sometimes banned for buy order manipulation and other buy order related offences.

Frankly, soapboxing here just speaks to your character. There's a joke in the community about when someone complains about a suggestion taking a long time to be accepted, the mods delay getting around to it by one more day. A little patience goes a long way blah blah blah

That's my 2 yaps, just learn from your mistake and move on

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Abstract said:

Ban length for classifieds depends on how many times you were banned for classifieds previously (1 day -> 3 days -> 1 week -> 1 month -> Perma), this has nothing to do with which killstreak kit you're buying.

Why did I get banned for 2 days instead of 1 then?

38 minutes ago, ajdislikesyournamingpolicy said:

I'm going to stop you right there, after 24 hours, the suspension would have been lifted and no one would have been the wiser. Making a forums post drawing attention to yourself but also claiming you don't want your actions to "reflect poorly on me" is so unbelievably ironic. The average person can read, so it's detailed pretty clearly about your ban reason and it realistically hasn't stopped your trading within the 24 hour time frame. This just feels like sensationalism, Toughsox lists it out pretty clearly and in all my time being on the site, I've seen plenty of people get warned, suspended and sometimes banned for buy order manipulation and other buy order related offences.

Frankly, soapboxing here just speaks to your character. There's a joke in the community about when someone complains about a suggestion taking a long time to be accepted, the mods delay getting around to it by one more day. A little patience goes a long way blah blah blah

That's my 2 yaps, just learn from your mistake and move on

Lol, first of all it was a 48 hour ban, and I know the suspension disappears from my profile after it is lifted. It didn't stop people from viewing my profile in the meantime and making assumptions about me being a "queue cutter/misleading prices." If you truly think me making a post on that on the forum shows poorly on my character, you must be pretty perfect.