New to trading, What's the difference between the metals?

Squizzy

I just got a premium account a few days ago. I've seen a couple of Youtube videos on trading and it seems like something I'd want to get into. I have a general understanding of everything with keys being the main currency, but I'd like a breakdown on the ref./rec./scrap conversion list. Doesn't it go something along the lines of one ref. worth 1.00, one rec. worth 0.33, and one scrap worth 0.1? On top of that, any other useful tips for noobs would be great.

I'd like to know before I get scammed lol. :)

1.00 = 1 ref

.33 = 1 rec

.11 = 1 scrap

.05 = 1 unique cartable weapon

a site to help with math of metal

https://calculator.tf/

also always cross-reference calculator key price with the actual key price as it can change and very don't always trust the price bp shows 

backpack says 64.11(64 ref 1 scrap) -64.22 (64 ref 2 scrap) ref actual price is rn 60-60.33 ref (60 ref and 1 rec)

https://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Mann Co. Supply Crate Key/Tradable/Craftable

Edited by Sir Spoon The Second
put 1 ref instated of 1 rec

you can also go to the backpack discord for help with trades and figuring out if you got a good deal or if its a scam, you'll get faster response times there on average

Honestly, if you're just starting out, skip the trading for right now. Instead, buy 1-2 keys, then trade them for metal. Then, use that metal to first buy 1 of each non-skin weapon. What that does is basically unlock the whole of Tf2 to you, everything else afterwards is purely cosmetic. You'll then have enough metal left over to buy some of the cheaper cosmetics to make a decent look for each class, and maybe even a cheaper taunt or two on top of that. After that, you can just focus on enjoying the game.

If afterwards, you then really want to get into serious trading, be prepared to invest at least $50 into starting capital. Trying to start with a backpack full of scrap is not worth it (and hasn't been for years) as you'll be spending hours trying to earn fractions of a penny; At that level, looking for change in the street pays more.

4 hours ago, Sir Spoon The Second said:

1.00 = 1 ref

.33 = 1 ref

.11 = 1 scrap

.05 = 1 unique cartable weapon

reported scammer

If you go to the crafting tab in game you can see why these conversion rates are fixed.

2 weapons can be crafted into 1 scrap

3 scrap can be crafted into 1 reclaimed

3 reclaimed into 1 ref

You can also break down metal to the lower tier (but not back into weapons), so the conversion rates are fix.

All other crafting recipes are not worth it, as you can get the output cheaper in trading. Some people gamble by using 3 ref to craft a hat, but the output is usually worth less than 2 ref.

On 2/13/2024 at 9:10 AM, Squizzy said:

@DominantDog??? Does this have anything to do with that one guy in the forums talking about his dog?

yes, its now a bit of a meme in the community

On 2/13/2024 at 2:47 AM, Sir Spoon The Second said:

you can also go to the backpack discord for help with trades and figuring out if you got a good deal or if its a scam, you'll get faster response times there on average

I wouldn't recommend the backpack.tf discord, especially not for any trading advice. It's gone downhill from what it once was. Unless of course you're terminally online and want to share your sexuality with others alike lol

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DRIFTA said:

I wouldn't recommend the backpack.tf discord, especially not for any trading advice. It's gone downhill from what it once was. Unless of course you're terminally online and want to share your sexuality with others alike lol

ty