Are strange unusuals worth investing in?

socks.

how well do strange unusuals sell compared to non strange counterparts? how much higher should they be priced? are collectors the only people interested in them?

1. It depends
2. It depends
3. It depends

They're tricky and the ability to price them is through experience, but where it matters the most, are on hats that a lot of people would love to main normally.
So, Strange Nebula Translator, about double the price, Strange Burning flames crones, about double. So if it's a REALLY good hat, listing for double can be reasonable, sometimes less sometimes more. If it's a meh hat/effect, then it'll just add a little more value.

Strange unusuals make for great keepers, so most buyers interested are likely wanting a signature hat or looking to really use them. So they take longer to sell since it's more commitment paying more for the same thing but with silly counter.

ALSO, important note, there are hats that have a strangifier, such as the anger, villains veil, etc, that usually do not add value to the unusual versions, so just make sure to check that. Goob luck!

its not all that different from investing in other items but it always boils down to "it depends"

From my experience, it takes longer to sell strange unusuals than regular ones. Both weapons and hats. I'm not sure why, but that seems to be the case. Maybe people are more reluctant in buying them as their price is less situated?

If you are talking about strange unusual weapons, I wouldn't bother with them because from my experience they are a very difficult item to trade>

If you are talking about strange unusual HATS, I myself have had alot of success trading and making a profit off of them. However, it is totally dependent on the hat + effect combo. I had luck with all class hats that strange, but something like a lower tier hat with a bad effect would be just as hard to sell as the non strange counterpart.

4 hours ago, socks. said:

how well do strange unusuals sell compared to non strange counterparts? how much higher should they be priced? are collectors the only people interested in them?

Gonna split this up into two segments: weapons and hats 

For hats, it depends on the hat. I've noticed that hats from cases that are older (like gun mettle and gargoyle), the hat being strange usually adds a good amount. Also, on very liquid hats like neb universal translators, p moon hat outta hell... i can continue but you get what kinda hats im talking about, it being strange can also add a good amount. However, if there is a strange on a newer hat with not a lot of prestige, it's not gonna add much unless its a higher tier(like assassin+). Also, some older hats have strangifiers, some being WAY more expensive than others (compare big chief strangifiers and eliminator safeguard strangifiers) if the strangifier is very expensive it can add a good amount of value. 

TL:DR= for hats, older and liquid usually add a good amount, newer usually isn't worth it, keep an eye on strangifier price. 

Now for weapons/warpaints... it depends if you know what you're doing, but from my experience Strange Unusual weapons and paints are usually worth it most of the time. There are a couple things to keep in mind though. First, the paint is very important, most  "sticker" (horror holiday, calavera canvas, pumpkin pied, you get it) and "holiday themed" paints are absolutely horrible and unless you're buying to keep for some ungodly reason they aren't worth it full stop. Also, for paints id say assassin grade or lower, you want to look for effects that match the paint colour (like cool on Glacial Glazed, Isotope on Health and Hell (Green), Hot organically hellraised). Some platforms like mannco and occasionally scm have these strange unusual paints for the price of other effects, so if you can pick it up for cheap do it.

Older weapons are worth it and since older case prices are ballooning right now they'll be a point where prices start to inflate. Winter 2017 and old gun mettle/tough break especially. 

TL:DR= strange unusual warpaints are worth it if they're matching, a decent price for assassin grade or higher, a non shitty sticker or holiday themed paint. Cash sites are your best place to find em. Weapons, especially ones from older collections, are worth it as well due to rising case prices and more widespread case scarcity. 

It depends as the others have said. I own a couple strange unusuals, but they could strangified, like the Bonk Boy, Villain Veil and Big Chief. The irony is that people prefer the non strange variants than the strange variants.