Why are traders such robots now?

Ridley

17 minutes ago, Vincentius said:

I see nothing wrong with blocking people, if the person is a known lowballer or spam offeror and only trades for quick profit or to get rid of trash, its a fine block in my eyes. 
Blocking people you see as not worth your time I'd say is completely acceptable.

Had too many occasions where I have had people offer less than half my listed price asking if it was enough or people begging that I block a lot of people now. Great example is that someone offered me about 130 keys in items for an item with buyers at 170+ (at the time the offer was made) that was listed at 500 and sent the offer then 3 times even after clarifying it was low saying "consider it". Blocking is there for a reason. https://imgur.com/a/EYSwILD

Begging example. https://imgur.com/a/XinJFqU (regular unique was 3 ref, so the user knew it was not unique, nor was I selling one)

Another great example, user offers less than half the listing aswell offering buyorders. Like why. https://imgur.com/a/JqmHcEY

Some people are just not worth your time.

-edit

Other few reasons I say are fair game for blocking are self-explanatory being (overtly rude, scamming, obvious manipulation attempts (sharking))

yeah, the example you used for sure is block worthy, if they don't actually have items worthy of the item they want.

but even then I rarely ever block anyone, even the person who scammed me in the past I never blocked, they came back and repaid me 8 years later.

I dunno, for me the only time I block is if its an obvious phishing bot.

44 minutes ago, Owe said:

Well done, I still stand by spelled one with good spell will get 300 confidently.

If you have the patience (which you do) it will eventually find its way to a buyer willing to pay 300. It’s just you could have had 75 keys profit over a few weeks Vs possibly, what, anywhere from 3-6 months for another buyer to match/offer more than what I did? And I only offered that much because I’m such a little slut for company mans and the spell matched my Tossle, not really because it was super special

the violet footprints burning cm is 5x duped, 5 different active owners who could all undercut you at any time

back in my trading days I would have taken the 75 extra keys and used those to flip more hats Vs waiting on the full 100 keys profit, but I’m also washed up and reminiscing so I guess my opinion doesn’t matter much these days

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Bananas said:

If you have the patience (which you do) it will eventually find its way to a buyer willing to pay 300. It’s just you could have had 75 keys profit over a few weeks Vs possibly, what, anywhere from 3-6 months for another buyer to match/offer more than what I did? And I only offered that much because I’m such a little slut for company mans and the spell matched my Tossle, not really because it was super special

the violet footprints burning cm is 5x duped, 5 different active owners who could all undercut you at any time

back in my trading days I would have taken the 75 extra keys and used those to flip more hats Vs waiting on the full 100 keys profit, but I’m also washed up and reminiscing so I guess my opinion doesn’t matter much these days

I have almost 2000 keys rn, I dont need pure, 25 keys is $40, pretty nice amount if u ask me. Also violet is poopy compared to corpse gray I'm not worried about em

41 minutes ago, Vincentius said:

Some people are just not worth your time.

I really "like" the people that try adding you for something you clearly have no intention to sell. Like it's pretty obvious what effects I collect, but some people are just like "he'll break up his collection just for me, especially with my offer of under market price".

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bananas said:

there’s a lot of reasons why

10 years ago halloweens were affordable, miscs were unboxable, and game was actively updated. 

today:

game is old

lots of old unusuals/items are rotting with collections/dead bps/whales

crypto boom and crash

csgo boom and crash

whales are way bigger than they were decade ago (lots more to hoard)

bots on a mass scale instead of just a few services

miscs aren’t unboxable

this leads to the cesspit of trading we have today. The god tier market is literally like a few dozen people all trading back and forth, with the occasionally whale waddling in to yoink a hat for their collection.

the rich decided what items will Seperate them from “the disgusting poors.” Why rush to take offers and sell when eventually some rich asshole will buy your hat for full pure if you wait? 

When I used to trade shit was awesome and you could discuss trades with anyone. These days you’re lucky if someone even responds to a trade offer. 

I don’t understand this pessimism, I trade with people of all inventory sizes going up to the top 200 and down to 100,000. I have good negotiations and discussions with most of them as well. If you are having a hard time getting responses you might be doing something wrong. 

4 hours ago, karma miguel said:

I just wanna cope for a moment and ask why some people use the block button so frequently, I go and offer pure and some items on a misc, or decent hat, I get blocked. I make an offer that might be considered low, with text asking to add stuff they have interest in, I get blocked. Feels like half the top backpacks blocked me for no reason, and I just don’t understand how they sell stuff if they block everyone over little things.

one example I have was I had a scorching boa, strange batsaber, and like 400 keys, I offer it to the guy, he blocks me, I sell the batsaber and offer the boa plus pure using my alt, he accepts the trade then blocks my alt.. 

if you get blocked by someone, you’re never going to come to a deal with them anyway. I’ve been blocked by a dozen top bps just because they aren’t actually trading, they’re selling for their listed price ONLY. 

2 hours ago, Owe said:

Well done, I still stand by spelled one with good spell will get 300 confidently.

Kinda funny that you wouldn’t accept a 9% discount off your full buyout in pure lol

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rainy said:

if you get blocked by someone, you’re never going to come to a deal with them anyway. I’ve been blocked by a dozen top bps just because they aren’t actually trading, they’re selling for their listed price ONLY. 

It's funny because the last sentence in the quote contradicts the first sentence in your reply

10 hours ago, TheRenegadeSniper said:

Most of the people that have any actual investment in this game don't want to discuss with 50 people that are going to lowball their high tiers over and over again, and would rather just sit until somebody pays the price they want

Although I agree, the type of traders he's describing aren't reasonable in their ask prices. Think EnderSlicer & similar accounts. Most of the hats they've been sitting on for months or years were purchased for much much much less than they're listed for. It's frustrating to see that as someone trying to trade up even just simply collect items at reasonable prices

5 hours ago, Rainy said:

This happened to me with 2OG, he’s had the Misty skull larrikin robin since before the history wipe and I offered him 350 keys so I could add it to my collection and he said he’s going to wait for the market to go up more 😭😭😭 tell me how waiting for 2+ years to make an extra $50-100 is worth it. 

This. This x1000. 2OG is not the only one, there's a bunch of traders just like him, most of them are in the top bps. But that's a perfect example of what's so frustrating
Even accounts like this one dude named SajtosPufi. The dude sells level 100 vintages & genuines, but he has all of them posted too high. Some of them are only worth $5-10 but have been sitting for YEARS. Like is letting an item sit for years for an extra 10-20% worth it? (and "erm acktually" nerds- don't say some BS about the average return of the stock market to justify this. The question is rhetorical, and the right answer is "no".)

4 hours ago, karma miguel said:

one example I have was I had a scorching boa, strange batsaber, and like 400 keys, I offer it to the guy, he blocks me, I sell the batsaber and offer the boa plus pure using my alt, he accepts the trade then blocks my alt.. 

Based alt strategy. Works every time 1x.webp

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Rainy said:

Kinda funny that you wouldn’t accept a 9% discount off your full buyout in pure lol

well when full buyout is at a fair price why should I?

44 minutes ago, Rainy said:

I don’t understand this pessimism, I trade with people of all inventory sizes going up to the top 200 and down to 100,000. I have good negotiations and discussions with most of them as well. If you are having a hard time getting responses you might be doing something wrong. 

100% on me, i no longer have the same patience i used to have

im very very picky when discussing (already have everything i want) and dont like dealing with the traveling salesmen (big traders that add me and ask "is there anything you want for that x?")

i dont usually add people anymore, i prefer to send an offer and if theres interest ill get a friend invite or counter offer

the pessimism comes from an old school trader not happy with modern hyperinflation. i dont really interact with the top backpacks anymore because i see 0 point into speaking to what is basically the love child of a dragon hoarding treasure in a cave and a brick wall. Look at owes response, he has 2,000 pure and isnt worried about waiting for the extra squeeze of his lemon.

His attitude is pretty typical for big traders, i usually either expect a response like that OR alternatively a counter offer which has me overpay like way too much

Like offering around 520 in mix on a 480 key hat and the counter is me adding an extra 250 key hat

i can count on 1 hand the number of good experiences ive had from 1% players, its usually pretty mediocre or a bad time dealing with them

• Like 2

image.png.7b0671326ffc62fc248369bcc8b8dd52.pngimage.png.d9703284f0020450bdf91b31917b8358.png

i come from a time where i could trade a pro ks aussie scatter and a unusual deep fried and get a knifestorm modest. or back when spells and miscs meant jack shit so a chromatic fetti veil only costed me a scorching hound dog.

prices of EVERYTHING was way way different back then. taunts used to be worth something.

forgive me for the pessimism, the world i used to know is long long gone.

I also came back to trading in the past year after last being really active in 2017-2019. It's so bad lol. The market is just the same dozen guys sitting on the same shit for years or just trading it between each other at increasingly insane prices until one of them finds some Saudi prince willing to overpay. Smaller traders are strangled out because either they have to accept bot prices or also wait years to sell anything, and they don't have the capital to hoard like that. It doesn't help that if you reduce your buyout the bots just reduce their buy orders accordingly.  I used to get adds and offers every day or two if I put something up and now it's lucky if I get a single offer per week, even if the item is legitimately very well priced. The actual demand for items has not increased, there are fewer active traders, not more, but the prices keep increasing anyway.

I mean, really, it's just a micrcosm of the real world where a few guys are hoarding more and more wealth and using it to screw the rest of us over. Kind of depressing tbh, I just want to wear silly hats and trade my silly hats with other people who also want to wear silly hats.

One stupid situation that happened kind of recently: my friend wanted a particular hat, and there were two up, both for 290 keys. Both had been sitting for months at this price. He offers 250 pure on both, one gets accepted. So the seller of the other one, a soulless top 100 bp, changes his price to like 450 keys. The actual demand for the hat didn't notably change, it was literally just one guy buying one for less than buyout and this guy thought that justified adding 200 keys onto his hat that already hadn't moved in months. When my friend asks about it he lied about the offer he got to justify the price hike, not realising that it was the same person (my friend offered using an alt).

1 hour ago, Esteban said:

It's so bad lol. The market is just the same dozen guys sitting on the same shit for years or just trading it between each other at increasingly insane prices until one of them finds some Saudi prince willing to overpay.

I find there’s a peak price for these hats from 1 person paying way too much and then you come across the “zombie bp” that nets a whale some fat profit

on mannco in the last month I’ve seen:

Harvest Moon Rotation Sensation for $1300

Spellbound Tough Stuff Muffs for $2000

both of those were insta flipped and now the harvest is $5k and the muffs are $4100

money makes money as the saying goes

expect those muffs and sensation to be hot potato’d around the rich people after one of the big traders get ahold of them off mannco

mf's be like "tradings dying!!!! no one sends out any offers anymore!!!! tf2 = omega dead!!!!"

while at the same time if someone sends you an offer and you think "meh, shit offer, might as well block them" no wonder people wont send out anymore offers, just cause they dont want to be constantly thinking "oh no, was this too low? am i going to get blocked now? what if i find it fair but the other party doesnt and i need to literally never contact them ever again unless i use an alt" 

like please make up your minds, either complain that tf2 is dying and that no one sends offers anymore, or just stop blocking every person with an offer that you dont see as "worth your time", maybe that might help revive the market if people could stop being so self centered and stop complaining and actually try to trade 🫡

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Esteban said:

One stupid situation that happened kind of recently: my friend wanted a particular hat, and there were two up, both for 290 keys. Both had been sitting for months at this price. He offers 250 pure on both, one gets accepted. So the seller of the other one, a soulless top 100 bp, changes his price to like 450 keys. The actual demand for the hat didn't notably change, it was literally just one guy buying one for less than buyout and this guy thought that justified adding 200 keys onto his hat that already hadn't moved in months. When my friend asks about it he lied about the offer he got to justify the price hike, not realising that it was the same person (my friend offered using an alt).

Forgive me for being a top 100 bp apologist, but this is common? Competition creates lower prices; where were all the complainers when Jarool (I think it was him anyway) bought out the frostbite impaler market because the sellers kept undercutting each other back in like 2017/2018? This is a phenomenon across all markets, not just tf2 although I'm not sure a nearly 2x price increase is justified lol

1 hour ago, FishtheFish said:

Forgive me for being a top 100 bp apologist, but this is common? Competition creates lower prices; where were all the complainers when Jarool (I think it was him anyway) bought out the frostbite impaler market because the sellers kept undercutting each other back in like 2017/2018? This is a phenomenon across all markets, not just tf2 although I'm not sure a nearly 2x price increase is justified lol

It's common, yeah, but that's the problem lol. Everyone lists stuff for ridiculous prices even though actual demand is pretty low, and because these guys keep hoarding more and more of the unusuals in circulation they can get away with it. You do know monopolies are a bad thing, right? lol and same with price fixing and price gouging.

So often I see something listed for like 150 keys, and then an actual normal person will list theirs for 50 keys (the kind of price you would expect for the item) the rich guy will relist for 48 to try undercut, eventually forcing the other person to accept a lower price, and then they'll pop theirs right back up for 150 or possibly more once it sells. It's a broken market that doesn't actually function on supply and demand. It's just greedy scum trying to extract as many keys as humanly possible from the increasingly dwindling base of actual traders, no matter how long it takes.

You can be an apologist for these people if you want but I mean, it's morally scummy behaviour lmao and because of it we've got a zombie market of bots and people who trade like bots, it's a wasteland compared to how it was 5+ years ago. There are some genuinely nice and reasonably fair high-tier traders, and a few non-whale people actually buying nice hats to wear,  but they're few and far between.

Send offer with 500 keys and 200 keys in easy to sell items

Blocked.

Offer 650 keys

accepted

Trader main moment (the extra $100 is worth after a year trust)