Which items will show a Generic KS Sheen?

Ranx

Please, no educated guesses for question 1, strictly experts that have seen what actually works here, and people who have traded these items

Question 1: I've always been curious about this, which items will actually show a generic KS sheen?  Like if you have a cosmetic with Specialized or Pro KS?  Action slot items?  Only Weapons?  Also can generic KS still be obtained?

All opinions welcome from anyone:

Question 2:  If you had a Generic Pro KS and wanted to apply it to a weapon that did not have a Pro/Specialized KS available, which weapon would be the highest value?  Bang for you buck wise?  Maybe most desirable?

my thoughts are stuff like HHHH axe (Pro KS no longer available), but use your imagination.

For question 1, the sheen will not appear on any hat except for one. The bonk helm. This is because the bonk helm's soda can models are ripped from the weapon (thus, the sheen will only appear on the soda cans). Also, it is not possible to obtain new generic KS fabricators. You can complete existing fabricators to receive a kit, or trade for a fabricator or kit, but you cannot drop new ones anymore.

Personally, I would apply it to something like the Strange Giger Counter, Robo-Sandvich, Collector's Gunboats, Collector's Rocket Jumper, Genuine Prinny Machete or something like that. As for which becomes the most valuable, no idea, but applying a generic kit in any way will probably cause you to lose a lot more value than just selling it unused.

Are HHH axe kits so expensive now that gen kit prices are similar priced? First thing to come to mind of an item that gets a decent price boost from the right kits.

I mentioned HHHH axe since I believed that they only dropped during Halloween events a long time ago as an example of ones you can't attain any more, you could probably source one already applied for much cheaper than buying a generic kit I would imagine.  I don't have an idea how to even find a generic kit/fab were they listed somewhere, so I don't know the price ranges although I would suspect they would be very expensive collectors items or were to be used as investments in unique or special items.

9 minutes ago, Ranx said:

I mentioned HHHH axe since I believed that they only dropped during Halloween events a long time ago as an example of ones you can't attain any more, you could probably source one already applied for much cheaper than buying a generic kit I would imagine.  I don't have an idea how to even find a generic kit/fab were they listed somewhere, so I don't know the price ranges although I would suspect they would be very expensive collectors items or were to be used as investments in unique or special items.

There are plenty listed on SCM. Sellers at ~$900 but the history shows they have sold for buyorders at $550 a couple of times in the past.

https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Specialized Killstreak Kit

My friend has a spec ks prinny machete, which he leant to me for a bit.  Even though the sheen is manndarin, the sheen does not show at all in game.  It DOES count killstreaks for all melees, and even sentry kills when you use it as engie.  I've got some footage recorded but haven't made it into a video yet.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Sappers, PDA, Gunboats, and Sandviches are some weapons that show sheens that don't have a KS kit, I can confirm these personally. I had a Pro KS Festive Sapper and a Pro KS PDA, both showed sheen and eye effect while active. I also have a Spec KS Gunboats and a Spec KS Robo Sandvich, both show the sheen. I think Gunboats are S tier for Spec KS because they're always active on your model, you don't have to pull them out for the sheen.

I'm not sure if Bootlegger / Manntreads / Ali Baba Booties have a sheen or not, but based on how Gunboats work I would expect them to.

(Also, I forgot, do Pro KS Gunboats' eye effects work?)

[Collector's] Rocket Jumper is a good candidate for a Pro KS kit, as it should show both the sheen and eye effects, it's probably what I would do if I had to apply one 'right now.' Tbh if I still had a glitched pro ks kit, I probably would just HODL it, either until I felt like using it on something or selling it.

Edited by Apo
im dummy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Apo said:

I'm not sure if  Manntreads

Manntreads do sheen, and passively show the Pro eye effect
That said that'd be a horrific waste of the pro kit seeing as mantread kits are a thing

out of all cosmetics that exist, the bonk helm is the only one that appears to show a sheen. (that I know of)

All cosmetics will not be able to interact with killstreaks. meaning that the sheen, eye effect and killstreak tracker will not do anything on anything that isnt in the weapon slot.
a handful of non killstreakable weapons will also show a sheen such as

Rocket Jumper
Sticky Jumper
Building PDA
All three Soldier banners
Gunboats (pro kit appears on eyes when equipped)
Sapper (pro kit appears on eyes when equipped)

Dead ringer (the sheen will be overwritten by the sheen on your melee however)
crossing guard (only on heavy due to how his hands can have sheens)
throwables such as Mad milk jarate and the reskins
Prinny machete (apparently only on heavy due to how his hands can have sheens)
Sandvich (and all other food items) (pro kit appears on eyes when equipped)

There are a few others that i would imagine appear such as the Demo boots and the base jumper, but have not seen them in game
I have owned a few bugged killstreaks and I can say that no action items show the sheens. however the spellbook, magazine and secret diary will show the kill streak counter in the killfeed.

To answer your question on what to apply it to, I honestly would just suggest not applying it and keeping the kit, no matter what you put it on, you will be losing most of its value. If I myself was given one of these kits to apply on my items, I would apply it to a action slot item like the Spellbook or a canteen since i'll always be able to have it equipped, and it'll actually be functional. The prices of killstreak items are typically unstable, since the value is up to how much a collector is willing to pay. I have sold several bugged killstreak cosmetics and items for a fraction of the price of the original kit.

I will also include, the reason they appear is because in the code, items have to be specifically set up to show them. The bonk helm works because the bonk drinks on the hat are setup to show the sheen.
Also with a simple change to a file, you can make items that do not show a sheen show them.
(examples of the change included)

specialeyesspecks.gif

sheens.gif

2 hours ago, Alecto said:

Manntreads do sheen, and passively show the Pro eye effect
That said that'd be a horrific waste of the pro kit seeing as mantread kits are a thing

lmaoooo I completely forgot

This is some really great information for such a niche subject coming together in this thread and I'm really enjoying it. 

Even if it's no longer feasible to apply the kits due to their value, I find these details on applied kits fascinating.   

Just wanted to repeat my thanks to the many contributors here.  Cheers everyone!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Littlepudintater said:

Are HHH axe kits so expensive now that gen kit prices are similar priced? First thing to come to mind of an item that gets a decent price boost from the right kits.

No, they were just reaalllly rare crate bonuses, even back when they first came out. I’m pretty sure you can still get them from unlocked creepy crates, but the drop rate is abysmal, like Necrosmasher Strangifier rare.