Impersonation Scammers Copying Trade Offers

TheRenegadeSniper

Hey all, 

Not sure if this has been talked about recently, but just figured I'd spread the word on it as it seems people are getting more creative.

Had a deal going with a guy for a mixed trade, and he was telling me that every time he attempted to send a trade offer, his confirmations would get flooded with multiple trade offers from impersonator accounts without the actual item in question. Here's an image of what I mean:

2C050A1DA59F61D1A96452E1DEDD4F926209BC3C

Thankfully there are like multiple warnings here from Steam, and the fact that this dumbass scammer doesn't even have my name (but has my profile picture). But if you're not checking your phone properly and sort of just mindlessly accept an offer, then you're basically shit out of luck. 

It seems now that instead of the "scammer adding you after somebody comments on a profile", which they still probably do, they're copying trade offers without the item. I'd say best way to mitigate this kind of situation is to have the user themselves (me, in this situation), send a trade offer directly so he knows for certain, and click the link in the steam chat window. 

Again, this is very easy to detect and stay away from, but it is absolutely concerning and I suggest other people watch out as best as you can. 

• Like 1

Did you make sure that the other users API key wasn't compromised? (sounds like an API scam to me)

They will cancel the original trade and send a new one from an account with your profile pic, name, etc. hoping the person will accept that trade without checking.

Guide on how to revoke API access/spot the scam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2926756889

Just now, Heidecker said:

Did you make sure that the other users API key wasn't compromised? They will cancel the original trade and send a new one hoping the person will accept that trade without checking.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2926756889

I'll have to ask. From what I can tell it looks like it might be considering the same problem happens when I send them a trade offer as well. Appreciate the guide. I'll send this over to them. 

Trade offers like that, where they're turned to giving items to an impersonator means that the guy was phished and had his API key stolen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scott Bakula said:

Trade offers like that, where they're turned to giving items to an impersonator means that the guy was phished and had his API key stolen.

Appreciate it. I'll let the user know so we can get this fixed per the guide that Heidecker gave me. Glad I checked in. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heidecker said:

Did you make sure that the other users API key wasn't compromised? (sounds like an API scam to me)

They will cancel the original trade and send a new one from an account with your profile pic, name, etc. hoping the person will accept that trade without checking.

Guide on how to revoke API access/spot the scam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2926756889

Update: Your guide just saved this man's account, so thank you. He confirmed he got API scammed and was able to reauthorize his account. 

I've had that from bots when I was sending them trade offers and having to add slightly more or less for them to accept, I don't think nothing of it tbh

8 minutes ago, TraceofCakes said:

A small bit of my faith in bp.tf forums has been restored today. An actual API scam attempt that got amended... Wowie!

Ready to lose it before the end of day?