Is re-installing windows 7 good idea?

Karvanen_Ahteri

Yeap. is re-installing windows 7 good idea? when i got my laptop about 2 years ago, the games like tf2 runned whit normal graphics nicely whit out any kind of problems. but now, even when im damn using lowest graphigs, low configs , "old school" models , flat textures it still usually runs about 6-15 fps. Possibly 20 fps if its a good day. It might be because my comp has got filled whit stuff, and i heard that when re-installing windows, it would go back to root. whit all deleted, and might run like it would be completly new pc. So, would this increase my laptops performance?   

Also , do you guys have your own experiense about this? im bit afraid that how it affects my steam, ( since it deletes all steam files) . So what you think? is it good idea to do if i want to boost my laptops performance?

Yes. 

You can save your steamfiles (game saves/huds/etc...) onto a flash drive/external hard drive and copy it back afterwards. 

It's worth a try. Make sure you save your Program Files\Steam to any other disk, and then boot from your Windows 7 install disc (I assume your computer came with one?) and then format your C:\ drive and install Windows on it.

This will increase general performance, but I doubt it will fix TF2 performance. You might need a new computer for that. My HP laptop exploded after a couple of years. All games dropped to a max of 10 FPS suddenly. Reinstalling Windows did nothing to fix this.

There's something wrong whit you. But seriously, all it does is wipe the computer. It wont hurt it. Just store your favorite things on an external hard drive or flash drive and put them back when you finish reinstalling. It will improve performance.

It's easy to keep computers stay fresh. Run CCleaner everytime you shutdown your PC and run defragmenter software like OO Defrag every week.

I do that regularly.

It's easy to keep computers stay fresh. Run CCleaner everytime you shutdown your PC and run defragmenter software like OO Defrag every week.

I do that regularly.

Hard drive fragmentation is not going to be detrimental to in game performance. Sure, maybe loading times will be longer, but frame rate should be about the same.

@OP: 

Please post your specs here. I recommend you download MSi Afterburner and watch your GPU's core clock as you play the game. 

Monitoring temperature might also be useful.

if it's an old computer you'd be best served in cleaning it physically than anything else. Removing dust and making sure all your fans are operational should prevent most overheating related issues. Not surprisingly this is the main reason for performance loss in older systems (inches of dirt on the inside on the case)

if it's an old computer you'd be best served in cleaning it physically than anything else. Removing dust and making sure all your fans are operational should prevent most overheating related issues. Not surprisingly this is the main reason for performance loss in older systems (inches of dirt on the inside on the case)

This is your best shot... Get a pressurized can of air to clean it out

Archived