Is knowingly buying scammed items not against the rules anymore?

Ridley

This isn't meant to be a call-out post and I don't actually think anyone will care, but I was surprised to see this scammed item appear in one of the resident backpack.tf big guy's backpacks. 

I'm willing to accept he didn't actually know the item was scammed, but

1. The preceding "trade" was literally for 0 keys and lasted several weeks. This would be a red flag to anyone who trades often.

2. Some big Spy youtuber who gets about 100k views every time he uploads made a video on it 4 hours ago, confirming the item was scammed. This item was traded the same day if backpack.tf's history is accurate.

• Like 2

I am pretty sure they would be flagged and they might be related to the person that scammed the unusual. Given how fresh those news are though, its best to play safe and let more info slip out.

Knowingly buying an item from a scammer is against the rules but I doubt that's the case here. It's very hard to prove if it was done knowingly since the alleged scammer's account isn't banned on backpack yet. You would need chat logs with proof of actual intent of getting the item from a scammer if it should be punishable in this case. Another thing to keep in mind is that item histories are very janky nowadays so in many cases there's multiple people that isn't shown in the history(not saying this is the case here though, I don't bother to look it up)

People will always be there to buy offloaded shit like that and not really have to background check it's simple buys afterall, but also cmon expecting people to be caught up in random youtuber drama is pretty stretched

Most items won’t get you flagged, but if you buy the scammed treasure trove brothers in blues (I can price check these) then your account will get instantly trade banned and you get hardware banned too you have to get a new motherboard..

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ridley said:

This isn't meant to be a call-out post and I don't actually think anyone will care, but I was surprised to see this scammed item appear in one of the resident backpack.tf big guy's backpacks. 

I'm willing to accept he didn't actually know the item was scammed, but

1. The preceding "trade" was literally for 0 keys and lasted several weeks. This would be a red flag to anyone who trades often.

2. Some big Spy youtuber who gets about 100k views every time he uploads made a video on it 4 hours ago, confirming the item was scammed. This item was traded the same day if backpack.tf's history is accurate.

The person the item was stolen from does not even show up in the item history. The history also shows that the item was last seen on the 31st in the scammers backpack, the video was released today. (backpack history is pretty unreliable anyway, the item could have gone through 10 different accounts before Frost got it, if none of the backpacks get loaded while they have it, they will never show up in the item history)

This was most likely just a 20 minute cashout deal Frost does like ten times a day, can't expect them to know the item was stolen when the first negative trust is 16 hours old and the scammer only had positive trust before that.

Your 1. is not a good argument since the original owner doesn't show up --> no way to check what it sold for there/no working compare.

Your 2. is not a good argument since the trade most likely happend before the video was released and any negative trust was given.

However, if the trade happened in the last 16 hours and was conducted through the scammers account, there is an argument to be made about Frost knowingly buying scammed items since there is clear negative trust with proof on the scammers profile and every reasonable trader at least checks for a steamrep/backpack ban + backpack trust before trading.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ridley said:

This isn't meant to be a call-out post and I don't actually think anyone will care

he is like the only turkish tf2ber that made it big,a lot of people will care on top of being a spy main

1 hour ago, Sprekt said:

Knowingly buying an item from a scammer is against the rules but I doubt that's the case here. It's very hard to prove if it was done knowingly since the alleged scammer's account isn't banned on backpack yet. You would need chat logs with proof of actual intent of getting the item from a scammer if it should be punishable in this case.

This is correct.

Talking about the scammed item before buying (not directly saying you'll buy it) also works

• Thanks 1

From what i know about Frost (the big guy we're talking here who currently owns the scammed mullet) most likely was hit up by the last guy to quicksell it to him, theoretically. Frost saw no red flags here, assuming the scammer's trust wasn't bombed down yet at this time, and bought it no hesitation.

Frost is a very respectful trader in the community and probably didn't have an ounce of a clue about anything involved here. So i wouldn't go pointing fingers at a guy who buys stuff and buys and sells a lot of stuff on the regular.