Competitive TF2

LaughingLollipop

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here goes

image.thumb.png.ec99c03bb3c54af56e73ab08e7555aac.png\

Meet you match is 7 years old now... where did Volvo go wrong?

20 minutes ago, LaughingLollipop said:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here goes

image.thumb.png.ec99c03bb3c54af56e73ab08e7555aac.png\

Meet you match is 7 years old now... where did Volvo go wrong?

lack of game support mayhaps?

• Like 1

From how I see it, Valve never seriously tried to launch TF2 into the competitive scenario; Dota 2 and Counter Strike are just so much better and with a gianormous amount of money going around that game developers decided to sacrifice TF2 to give more attention for those two. Competitive Mode arrived in 2016 (way too late, in my opinion) and almost never had time to shine. There has always been 6s, period, and Highlander has only been teased, following radio silence and the official removal from the HUD; 6s is also super unbalanced: Dane's video about it (linked below) still is relevant today, probably. I've also read that people think Competitive died because of the lack of competition, meaning a low quantity of teams fighting for the 1st place, but I don't believe it. The only relevant thing, as of now (and probably forever), is community competitive.

• Haha 1

Because the base game is not built around competitive play

Csgo's most popular gamemode is 'competitive' which is very much the same as the ruleset the pros use at the highest level

I don't know dota at all but I'd imagine it's the same

TF2's most popular gamemode is casual, which is really not a competitive viable rulest, and after that the community is splintered into a number of other custom gamemodes/types like VSH, MvM, Mannpower, 6s and the other much less popular competitive formats (which have to change a pretty significant amount of rules from the base game to be viable) and all the others

• Like 4

I feel there's been a long-standing stigma of competitive tf2 being a "no fun allowed" game mode instead of a higher level of play. Like, for the longest time, practically every weapon that wasn't stock was banned, usually with reasons like "encourages Sniper to engage in melee combat". Similarly, any attempt to use a different team makeup was also met with scorn and derision. So, for most folks, it just wasn't worth trying to get past the gatekeeping.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alecto said:

TF2's most popular gamemode is casual, which is really not a competitive viable rulest, and after that the community is splintered into a number of other custom gamemodes/types like VSH, MvM, Mannpower, 6s and the other much less popular competitive formats (which have to change a pretty significant amount of rules from the base game to be viable) and all the others

this already answers everything
dota casual and ranked gameplay are very similar being the only difference is the ranked has a pick and ban system. tf2 casual which hosts the most amount of players, doesnt serve as an opening to competitive. people can say that highlander is the closest thing (its actually not LOL) to casual. the only similarity between highlander and casual is its not restricted to 5cp (A/D, Payload, KOTH). when the gameplay between casual and competitive are alike (e.g., valorant, csgo, dota, LoL), its very easy to transition from casual to competitive.