headphone jack and other good to have stuff modern phones are lacking

rafiozol

🎧  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about having a headphone jack?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you care about having a microSD slot?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you care about having a removable battery?

• Yes
    • No

adi8g7.jpg

It's been almost 7 years since the release date of iPhone 7, the phone that boldly removed the headphone jack for the first time.

It's 2023 now, do you think switching to Bluetooth was worth it?

Do you still use wired headphones?

Do you only buy phones that still have the jack?

What's your opinion about removable batteries and microSD support?

Do you believe every phone should come with unlockable bootloader (for a third party support/rooting) and a way to install any app from any store you want?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

bluetooth headphones will never reach the quality of wired headphones.this is the most important thing.its just plug and play.we are inconveniencing ourselves for technology.

other than that,i love sd cards (i love pretty much anything cartridge shaped),easily my favorite format after CD (DONT FORGET WHAT THEY TOOK FROM US,CD PLAYERS ON CARS)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AwesomeSause said:

I like headphones better than earbuds

headphones are overall healthier than earbuds,but on the contrary i find earbuds to be easier to clean

8 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

headphones are overall healthier than earbuds,but on the contrary i find earbuds to be easier to clean

ear wax tho 😭🤮

No jack = no buy

Tried bluetooth and didn't enjoy it. The whole convenience factor of wireless to me was undermined by the issue of batteries. I don't like the large form factor of headphones, and everything smaller tends to have to go back in the case to charge every 2-4 hours depending on what you buy. And of course there's the extra expense + shorter long term use value because even if you look after your stuff the battery will eventually call it quits rendering your wireless headphones useless.

I currently still use a standalone mp3 player + wired IEMs rather than my phone because I find it much more convenient being able to pull out the nugget, plug it in and hit go and not have to worry about the music stopping at any point in the day so long as I charge the player once a week (or even less often if I don't use it at much.)

If I were buying a new phone, I'd still want the jack even though I barely use it - having to use wireless headphones is kinda lame if you don't own any.

Removable/replaceable batteries should be the norm - I tend to keep my phones 5+ years and knowing a dying battery is an easy fix is always nice. I don't care about micro sd myself but I can see why others would. Also don't care about the bootloader thing because I have so few apps on my phone.

• Like 1

Came back to this and there's a vote, and I forgot about the SD card, that's the best fucking thing ever and makes transferring files easier

looking at the image provided i can say that its the first time i saw it,but i can swear that i saw a similar image in a dream

2 hours ago, AwesomeSause said:

ear wax tho 😭🤮

thats easy to clean with a wet towel,i am not sure how well headphones can take a wet towel though...

9 minutes ago, Burning Mann said:

Well, if you have no jack there's always a USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapter if you hate wireless crap 

Screenshot_2023-07-11-17-18-01-11_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

why would i want dongles to stick out of my new phone,when the old phone could do it without a dongle?

37 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

why would i want dongles to stick out of my new phone,when the old phone could do it without a dongle?

you don't really have a choice if you want a new phone with better specs and no jack, but still want to use wired headphones. What's another few inches added to your headphones wire. I just have one of those dongles permanently attached to one of my headphones 

I still use wired earbuds for a number of reasons

It's sometimes annoying that you have to plug the earbuds in the charging port but it's rare, only when I also need to charge my phone while playing sound which doesn't happen that often.

Still would rather not have that inconvenience though...

Any app store and removable batteries yes, phone works fine but battery dies and you need a new phone fuck off

4 hours ago, rafiozol said:

It's 2023 now, do you think switching to Bluetooth was worth it?

Yes, but I still think having the option to use wired headphones on a smartphone is nice and there's no good reason to remove it unless the device is paper thin.

Do you still use wired headphones?

I still do for my PCs and tablet, not on my current phone since it doesn't have a headphone jack. Doesn't matter since I've had wireless headphones as well. I've used wired headphones with my old phone for a long time, and what ends up happening is that the wire at the end starts wearing out and ends up making one side of the headphones stop working unless it's placed at a specific angle.

Do you only buy phones that still have the jack?

Well, the phone I use right now doesn't have one, but its performance and ability to install LineageOS and MicroG on it makes up for it.

What's your opinion about removable batteries and microSD support?

Huge plus for removable battery if it's available. microSD support is a must if the integrated storage isn't big.

Do you believe every phone should come with unlockable bootloader (for a third party support/rooting) and a way to install any app from any store you want?

Yes. I've used my old smartphone for 8 years and it still works fine thanks to the ability to install custom ROMs on it. My current phone also has this option and it was even easier to do it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Burning Mann said:

you don't really have a choice if you want a new phone with better specs and no jack, but still want to use wired headphones. What's another few inches added to your headphones wire. I just have one of those dongles permanently attached to one of my headphones 

there are still new phones out there with a headphone jack,typically in high end phones such as zenfone 9,though it can still be seen in mid range phones such as galaxy a14 5g and maybe low end phones

Removable battery is the one thing I'd bring back from here, or at least easy to replace batteries like the iPhone 7, I don't dare try to repair the screen/battery of any iPhone above the 7, glass 2 spooky