Someone gave me a negative rating for an "attempted scam" but then changed their posted offerings to reflect the rating

Daxmvarg

So I was trying to sell an item and found a post offering a pretty good deal for the item. I send over the trade request, close the browser, and forget about it for a week. I come back today and find that he's left a negative rating on my profile for "intentionally trying to sell items without spells."

His original post said NOTHING about spelled items. I didn't take a screenshot or anything because I didn't think I would need to, but when I saw the review and clicked on the imgur links he posted, they're suddenly suddenly different. The original posting said nothing about spells, but a week later, they're there. 

So I'm kind of screwed. I don't have any evidence to back it up beyond my memory and I'm not a big trader. I only trade to get rid of some extra stuff that's cluttering my backpack but the other dude is super-verified. Even if his original posting did include spells, I obviously didn't try to scam him. I saw the posting, traded him the items he wanted according to his posting, he changed the posting, and then pinned the blame on me. It was an honest mistake and I low-key feel kind of vindicated that this guy would be so petty as to leave a negative rating over something so small. It was literally over a key.

Not sure what to do at this point. Even if I don't trade super often, it's still kind of annoying to see how lifeless some of these people are.

image.thumb.png.868d0b92cc85297ab52f3c9d996c7e51.png

43 minutes ago, Daxmvarg said:

His original post said NOTHING about spelled items. I didn't take a screenshot or anything because I didn't think I would need to, but when I saw the review and clicked on the imgur links he posted, they're suddenly suddenly different. The original posting said nothing about spells, but a week later, they're there.

This is verifiably untrue. Those listings have been up for at least a month:

b6be3db64becdb81a2e82548e9e22de6.png

I'm not a report mod so don't take what I say as gospel, but I think you should be okay if you report the -trust. It strikes me as more of an honest mistake than it does a scam attempt.

• Like 2

Alright, I guess my memory isn't as good as I thought it was. Hopefully the mod team can reverse this because this was stupidly petty

• Like 1

did you really think people were buying regular unique spycicles for a key each?

It’s worth like a scrap, you gotta use common sense

Just now, Bananas said:

did you really think people were buying regular unique spycicles for a key each?

And the killstreak one isn’t worth that much either, same logic applies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FishtheFish said:

This is verifiably untrue. Those listings have been up for at least a month:

b6be3db64becdb81a2e82548e9e22de6.png

I'm not a report mod so don't take what I say as gospel, but I think you should be okay if you report the -trust. It strikes me as more of an honest mistake than it does a scam attempt.

do these have exorcism in the description? since the backpack states that if you are making a special buy order then you need to use the next backpack to make description and quality match; just like killstreak kits

5 minutes ago, G R O W U P said:

do these have exorcism in the description? since the backpack states that if you are making a special buy order then you need to use the next backpack to make description and quality match; just like killstreak kits

You're welcome to find the listings yourself and hover over them to see that they indeed are listed for exorcism but I can't really be bothered to do all of that tbh

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bananas said:

I'm not a big trader, like I said. I wanted to get rid of some clutter in my inventory, went to the classified, saw the first one, sent the offer, come back a week later, negative review. 

34 minutes ago, abcomputer said:

you are obviously in the wrong tho

Never said I wasn't. I said that I was annoyed that someone would do something so petty in response to an honest mistake

5 minutes ago, FishtheFish said:

You're welcome to find the listings yourself and hover over them to see that they indeed are listed for exorcism but I can't really be bothered to do all of that tbh

In hindsight, I probably should've been more careful and doublechecked, but I find it annoying for someone to get this upset over a key

Just now, Daxmvarg said:

Never said I wasn't. I said that I was annoyed that someone would do something so petty in response to an honest mistake

yeah that user who gave you the -rep is honestly super petty from my interactions with him, anyway with the evidence that was provided its not a valid -rep imo as there's nothing that states you attempted to deceive the buyer. Now, if you said it was spelled in the comments of the trade... it would probably be applicable. Not a report mod but you should be able to report it and have it taken down. 

4 minutes ago, floppyfish390 said:

-snip-

Also not a report mod but I'm 95% sure this is what it comes down to. Unless it can be proved that you were trying to trick the buyer into thinking your items were spelled, I think report mods are obligated to give you the benefit of the doubt

• Like 1

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it.

Lowkey kind of scary that one guy with nothing to lose and an ego the size of a malformed paperclip can just willy-nilly screw  someone's reputation over an honest mistake.

57 minutes ago, Daxmvarg said:

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it.

Lowkey kind of scary that one guy with nothing to lose and an ego the size of a malformed paperclip can just willy-nilly screw  someone's reputation over an honest mistake.

Sending an offer to someone is NOT a scam no matter how unfavorable the trade may be. If you had send the offer saying that your items were Exorcism, that would be considered scamming. It's happen to me before and like always the -rep gets removed. You've done nothing wrong, no need to worry :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beef said:

Extazi been real quiet ever since this came out

It was posted 5 hours before your comment; shockingly, most people sleep for 8 hours a day and have 8-10 hour long jobs (including commute).

4 minutes ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

It was posted 5 hours before your comment; shockingly, most people sleep for 8 hours a day and have 8-10 hour long jobs (including commute).

extazi diff he on bp 24/7 

i mean I'll be honest I have no idea how rep works

but also being a dumbass and offering an unspelled item to a spell buy order isn't a scam...

5 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

nuh uh

6 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

Oh really I had no idea 🤓

actually hilarious how bro compiled a whole ass 5 screenshot document & just to report you over a 1 key trade

even took time out of his day to dig through your backpack to prove you own spelled items to justify his -rep

powertripping reddit mod behavior

xAPPOOP.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, `Yahiamice said:

you have just described what seems to be the entire point of the rep system

I dont blame the guy, Im sure he gets a lot of these scam attempt offers all the time, these spell scam attempts are quite frequent 

I personally think you should have the -rep removed but I dont know how backpack.tf staff deals with these things, just say it was an honest mistake and hope for the best 

On 6/28/2023 at 5:03 PM, `Yahiamice said:

actually hilarious how bro compiled a whole ass 5 screenshot document & just to report you over a 1 key trade

even took time out of his day to dig through your backpack to prove you own spelled items to justify his -rep

xAPPOOP.png

bro got triggered after someone sent him a unspelled buy order for the millionth time,op was the unlucky winner

• Thanks 1