what actually is the most duped unusual hat in tf2?

OGSemper

so recently I purchased a clean level 60 harvest moon jumpers jeepcap, always wanting it since i was a wee lad sitting on xenogamers pokemon trade servers in 2011, over the course of a decade i've noticed at different times there has always been at least one level 72 harvest moon jeepcap for sale, so of course when i bought a clean one the price naturally would be updated right? and of course dupe sales matter too so as I dug deep into the cesspool that is the level 72 harvest moon jumpers jeepcap, I realized just how duped to hell this hat actually was, and my god i wasn't ready.

of the recorded instances backpack.tf was able to record, i found 8 duped level 72 harvest moon jumpers jeepcaps simultaneously existing, potentially even more as some of the inventories I investigated have been private for over 8 years and possibly even longer dating clear back to 2012? and so I asked myself; is the level 72 Harvest Moon Jumpers Jeepcap the most duped unusual circulating in the tf2 economy right now? is it the level 3 burning flames team captain, level 72 harvest moon jumpers jeepcap, or the level 46 tf logo cosa nostra cap, is it even possible to distinguish dupes anymore because of the massive item history loss of 2022, we may never know.

Things to know: Harvest Moon was added during the Spectral Halloween Special Update which was the fourth annual scream fortress event way back on October 26, 2012.
The Jumpers Jeepcap was added June 23, 2011, Duped hats came to be from steam support restored hijacked, or stolen items in the early days of trading, a method they have long since discontinued.

this post is kind of like a easter egg hunt for the curious I suppose, the question being asked is the title of the post, question being said; what is the most duped unusual in tf2?

I feel like we're never going to actually know. You'd have to manually check all unusual histories.

With the data loss incident behind us, even the admins can't run a script and know much (only hats logged in the last year would be there...)

Unless someone over at Volvo wants to run a rather large query on their item server all we can do is guess

Probably the level 73 circling heart bonk boy (or was it veil)? Back in the day you could check item histories using Drunken F00l's old tf2items backpack examiner (http://www.tf2items.com/, who remembers this?). I'm not sure how accurate that is now, but it's probably better than nothing and seems to work well with much older items.

level 73 hearts bonk boy (used to own many)

the duped sunbeams bonk boy (forget the level)

the level 7 secret moon brown bomber

my cloudy moon jefe (5+ active owners alone)

the duped to shit burning tc

just a few off the top of my head

honestly mass dupes are just a great way to get literally the exact same hat at a bargain price

why pay 750 keys for a clean hearts bonk when you could get the dupe for 400-450

why pay 900 for a secret bomber when dupes pop up for 450-500 keys

etc

i paid like 310 (realistically) in mix for my jefe, just because it was duped it was selling cheaper than a cmoon whoopee

trader main tiny brains can flame me for buying duped shit but why would i want a whoopee cap when i can get a jefe for the same price??????

6 hours ago, Bananas said:

honestly mass dupes are just a great way to get literally the exact same hat at a bargain price

why pay 750 keys for a clean hearts bonk when you could get the dupe for 400-450

etc

i paid like 310 (realistically) in mix for my jefe, just because it was duped it was selling cheaper than a cmoon whoopee

trader main tiny brains can flame me for buying duped shit but why would i want a whoopee cap when i can get a jefe for the same price??????

i remember reading that once upon a time,the duped burning tc could get you banned from backpack.tf because of how many scammers it had in its history

23 minutes ago, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

i remember reading that once upon a time,the duped burning tc could get you banned from backpack.tf because of how many scammers it had in its history

It was basically that knowingly buying an item from a SR marked scammer would give you an SR scammer mark, so it was self-replicating. Silly system, I'm glad they did away with it.

1 hour ago, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

the old days were fucking nuts

hack the Gibson is STILL steamrep cautioned for some bullshit almost 10 years ago with tf2warehouse (anyone remember credits?)

gifted unusuals were actual cancer tier,

having certain unusuals in your inv made you sus and got you marked/banned (knifestorm tosslecap comes to mind)

the market was flipped upside down, halloweens were super affordable, all classes were king, GBH and time warp were considered mid tier instead of god tier

unusual combos were affordable

some things never change, like dupes being worth less than clean, expensive “hats” still being expensive (coffin kit, noh, shaman, 2014 limiteds, glitched miscs NOT quickswitches, etc)

8 hours ago, Bananas said:

etc

Accounting for public only inventories, I counted a total of 20 instances of the level 73 hearts bonk boy, this number could be even more but i discounted private inventories and profiles.

2 hours ago, Semper said:

Accounting for public only inventories, I counted a total of 20 instances of the level 73 hearts bonk boy, this number could be even more but i discounted private inventories and profiles.

yeah I’d say the hearts bonk is probably #1 most duped, even an old friend who doesn’t trade/play often has a lvl73 hearts bonk from years ago, super super common in terms of mass dupes. 

probably the beams bonk/burning tc up next, gotta be at least a dozen of each 

most Halloween mass dupes like moon jefe secret bomber harvest jeepcap prob have anywhere from 5-10 active dupes

its a shame backpack doesn’t track dupes separately , guess you can’t since it’s literally a copy. bummer drummer

3 hours ago, karma miguel said:

what happened with the knifestorm tossle cap? didnt even know one existed.

it’s all fuzzy to me since this shit goes back a decade now, but that Tossle mainly traded from scammer to scammer and then got locked in a trade banned account from what I remember, never really had a chance to hit the market legit since you’d get steamrep marked from owning it and now its permanently gone. Would probably be a top 3 Tossle if it was still around

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bananas said:

hack the Gibson is STILL steamrep cautioned for some bullshit almost 10 years ago with tf2warehouse (anyone remember credits?)

after reading the appeal i laughed inside,that admin was seething for selling such a valuable item at low prices

1 minute ago, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

after reading the appeal i laughed inside,that admin was seething for selling such a valuable item at low prices

YOU OBVIOUSLY EXPLOITED THE SYSTEM WITH INTENT TO DEFRAUD BY CLICKING ADD TO CART AND THEN PURCHASING YOUR ITEMS AND RECEIVING YOUR ITEMS. 

love tf2wh with nostalgia goggles but I don’t miss them. They were dicks, and their prices kinda sucked but hey when plasticparticulate or gravitatingguava sent you your items in 3 minutes that shit was cash money at the time

they were pioneers in a way, I can’t remember if anyone was before them besides geel and scrap.tf

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a Steaming Hermes, I don't remember the level, but I feel like there was an incident when it was duped literally dozens of times.