Cashing out thoughts

___

Well fuck, after five or so years and 4000 hours, I'm finally doing the funny cashing out thing haha.
I've always found it interesting when people talk about their experience with TF2, so I thought why not dump some thoughts of my own?

These have been some pretty sweet ass years, being a part of this large trading community, from making my first few keys to making hundreds over a span of trades. However, as I have gotten older, it's hard to deny the constant anxiety I have felt through being so invested in this game (financially and emotionally lmfao). Frankly, I'm not excited by things as I used to be. Attempting to trade nowadays in the current trading scene, the types of items being created by the community, the big update coming around the corner, all these things either fill me with a weird type of dread or don't create a spark in me anymore. When I initially started playing, I would be bursting for the transition into scream fortress or smissmass, yet today even with the big update I can't help but feel impassive. While this isn't any reason to stop playing altogether, In my mind I cannot justify having such an inventory anymore. 

OH, AND THE ITEMS! In the most recent year or so, unusuals or other flashy items don't excite me, and neither do the profits of trading. Trading for profit fees more like a boring necessity to make buying item worth it, rather than an exciting part of being a part of a unique community. That's probably the main issue, treating each item like an investment and not being satisfied unless I made money on it. I like my items, I love the history of my backpack and I have enjoyed watching it grow, but I am at a point where I am satisfied and can leave it behind. I have seen everything, and will happily enjoy the few items I'll keep in my inventory. I don't know how people with $10k+ inventories can do it haha, the constant thought of some data breach, or a misclick on a shitty link could take it all away from me is pretty terrifying, and the recent data breaches echo that fear. 

The people I have met in TF2 have (mostly) been great, with some becoming what will foreseeably be lifelong friends. For this I am grateful. TF2 is such a unique experience when it comes to interacting with people which I don't think you can find in any other game. The game is so vast, so many different things to enjoy or being interested in to meet likeminded people (like myself and my friends all meeting because we were all 2fort nerds). But there is trading, community contributors, people who know the histories of items in and out, people who enjoy certain maps and game modes, people who vibe in game chat, there are so many niches to meet likeminded people. I don't think there is another game out there that replicates TF2 in this way, and I bet this has an influence on TF2's longevity. 

Welp, not entirely sure what else to talk about. It's been a good run though. Need to go out and find something that gives me that same excitement I felt when I first started playing. I probably didn't need to make such a song and dance about this, just kind of interested in hearing other people's thoughts on TF2 after being in the game for so long. 

TLDR:
I'm not excited by TF2 anymore and trading is just stressful or boring. The people are pretty cool tho. 

Special thanks:

Evol, George and Puppy. Stupid pricks kept me playing haha cheers lads 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RicK mai said:

you will come back and see all your items are 5x the price they were, you must stay

i hope haha, the amount of times I have sold an item just for it to shoot up in price right after 🥲

if the thought of scamming scares you but also dont really want to sell,i would dump my no longer used valuable items to a storage account

4 hours ago, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee said:

if the thought of scamming scares you but also dont really want to sell,i would dump my no longer used valuable items to a storage account

nah its not like a crippling fear, its more just that little voice in the back of my mind thats like 'hmm what if", ya know hah

1 hour ago, Littlepudintater said:

What else are the voices telling you?

"play comp battle medic"