What is the point of fake Backpack websites?

AMP303

I searched up an unusual effect on my browser, and clicked the result for backpack.tf. I look around a few pages, it's literally just a carbon copy of the official Backpack.tf.

After a while, I notice I'm not signed in. I click the sign in button. Steam says the login link is blocked for being involved in scamming. I check the link...

It's "Backpacktf.com"

What's the purpose of a fake link like this?

So steam says the login link is blocked for being involved in scamming, and you're asking what the purpose is?

Its for scamming people.

1 hour ago, AMP303 said:

I searched up an unusual effect on my browser, and clicked the result for backpack.tf. I look around a few pages, it's literally just a carbon copy of the official Backpack.tf.

After a while, I notice I'm not signed in. I click the sign in button. Steam says the login link is blocked for being involved in scamming. I check the link...

It's "Backpacktf.com"

And this is why people still get scammed.

"Link blocked due to scams" 

Is this scam? Surely not. Imna sign in!

backpacktf.com and backpack.trade were official domains owned by backpacktf while there were issues regarding the real backpack.tf domain about a year and a half ago.

.com was used for phishing a couple years ago by someone else, which is why steam flags it and backpack.trade was used instead. The home page of .com currently redirects to the real site. Maybe forgot to catch all URLs.

See the announcements: Domain issues and backpack.tf is back

59 minutes ago, Zeus_Junior said:

backpacktf.com and backpack.trade were official domains owned by backpacktf while there were issues regarding the real backpack.tf domain about a year and a half ago. The home page of .com currently redirects to the real site. Maybe forgot to catch all URLs.

See the announcements: Domain issues and backpack.tf is back

This is all fake!!??????????????? 

4 hours ago, AMP303 said:

It's "Backpacktf.com"

yeah, its just another trick that scammers used to use - i imagine many people would have fell for it, hence why it was blocked by steam

• Like 2

Its called phishing. It's an obviously fake website but made to look just enough like the real deal that young children and boomers fall for it.

If you type in your login info, usually a script is run that immediately seizes your account and changes all your emails and phone numbers.

In short, be careful what links you click, and what sites you log in to.

• Like 5