Scamming threats

Sur

A few days ago I was playing on a trading server and messing around with some friendlies, when some random dude in the server spotted my tomislav ausie in my inventory and wanted to negotiate. At first, he seemed to be your avarage scammer, since he tried to trade me a "80$ steam code" for my ausie and that he'd give it as soon as we finish trading. I obviously didnt trust me, so he decided to offer me a "unique Nº42" (a scout backpack which seems to have a value of 30 keys or so) when in reality it was non-tradable (which costs around 5 keys). So again I decided to deny him, but right before I stopped talking to him he sended me a steam link saying that i could check his inventory so I'd choose whatever i like.

Little did my dumb brain knew, that link would somehow manage to track my ip and my device overall. As soon as I clicked to that link, the scammer started theratening me by sending my ip adress, all my data on my pc and my location (including the wifi I was using, etc) and told me that if i didnt give him my ausie for his scout backpack, he'd send many packages to my location and even report me to some weird website. Her also threatened me and my family by saying he'd do all what he has in his hands to make us go bankrup'n stuff like that. 

Since I had many bank accounts logged onto my pc I feared that he'd be able to acces them and steal money from these (I never got hacked nor threatened like this before), so i did what any coward would do: I agreed on give him the tomislav + some taunts by trading these for his backpack as long as he'd do nothing. And here I am, using an old computer since I rebooted mine entierly to make sure he wouldnt be able to do anything with it.

Am I the one to blame? Probably yes, since I was too dumb and non experienced to check his profile nor click on links from people I dont know. 

Hope this post helps to spread awareness about this kind of "scam".

• Sad 2

I am not an expert but the "leaking your information" sounds like absolute bs to me.  The scammer most likely just sent you an ip grabber and made up a bunch of other stuff to scare you into accepting.

They probably try to pull the exact same "scam" on a few hundred people a month, anything but sending your your ip adress and threatening you takes way too much time for them.

Sucks to hear anyway, make sure to report their steam accound and also their backpack.tf profile if you can.

• Like 2

Bro he jus mad you didn't want to accept his stupid trade

Probably mentally like 12 and plays COD

If you reset your router (turn off and back on) then it should change your IP address. Besides that, they really can't do much with just your IP address. Your home address isn't leaked, just the country you're in.*

*Notice how when you sign in from an unknown device, most websites will tell you the IP it came from, and then list the capital/major city of your country as if you live there? That's just how it do be with the internet.

2 hours ago, Sur said:

Hope this post helps to spread awareness about this kind of "scam".

This type of scam is as old as the internet itself; email scamming links and blackmailing with the resulting information. It's not much use posting this to spread awareness about it since this is internet safety 101.

So not only did you fall for a phishing link but you gave him your stuff anyways just because he had your IP? There's very little he can do with your IP, and if you really felt in danger you should've called law enforcement. 

Oh btw, talking about scammers. You should really remove these guys from your friendlist as well (assuming they are not the one that you mentioned above).They are steamrep banned scammers.  

https://steamcommunity.com/id/aleksej2003/

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198267909406 (maybe? not confirmed yet I guess, but banned)

Edit: Something like the steam detective tampermonkey script might help you prevent accepting scammers in the future: 

Tampermonkey (has some great browser extensions for steam in general): https://www.tampermonkey.net/

Steam detective (shows you if somebody is banned on one of the more prominent tf2 trading/rep sites): https://gitlab.com/carbonwind/steamdetective

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AwesomeSause said:

Me who's met him several times in popular trade servers:

Do not trust anyone, he's scammers alts and the steamrep ban was just yesterday

2 minutes ago, Bentry Suster said:

that's sus

23 minutes ago, Bentry Suster said:

oh dang didnt see that, thats crazy

1 hour ago, Bentry Suster said:

What happened yesterday? I see that the other account was banned 4 years ago, now they suddenly found something?

1 hour ago, abcomputer said:

What happened yesterday? I see that the other account was banned 4 years ago, now they suddenly found something?

Staff works in mysterious ways

26 minutes ago, Guccifish said:

im mates with burnz, he told me hes legit but who knows, hes trying to appeal it as we speak

Probably banned because they have a lot of item histories/tradebacks with the account that is listed as their alt in the ban reason (that account was sr banned).

Might just be another mate that they borrow/gift items from time to time, hope it get's resolved if the ban is really unjustified.

Just wanted to clarify here that burnz wasnt the one that scammed me, it was an other guy called Ken (idk if i should put his profile here since he has the ip tracker link on his profile). The reason burnz and i are "friends" is because i ended up trading one of my ausies and some add ups for his tomislav ausie

(also ty everyone for the replies,and yeah im kinda dumb for falling onto such scam, its just that im not used to this kind of stuff)ç