Scam attempt?

larry86

Hello guys,

It's the second time that some guy randomly adds me and ask to buy my unusual for "real money", saying that he will go first (even tho i have no reputation at all!) so i have nothing to be afraid of. New and sketchy steam profile, where they pretend to be "cash traders" but with no tf2 worthy inventory. I have experience in rocket league trading, where a popular scam was occurring: they go first and then ask paypal or their bank a chargeback, pretendin they they've been hacked or something, and the seller has little to no chance to appeal that. So i was wondering, is a popular scam on tf2 as well? I've never heard of anyone talkin about this, but it's literally the second time in a couple of month that someone tries it on me. I wish i could report em but i don't have proofs, only the conversations where they ask for a cash transaction.

• Like 1

idk man depends what kinda unusual they want, most traders pay real money for good unusuals

If you've ever talked to a scammer, Steam has a feature that restores all conversations 

"Please provide Uncropped and Unedited from browser (make sure your windows/mac taskbar is also showing) screenshots of your ENTIRE chat with the user by going to:

Steam Support > My Account > Data Related to your Steam Account > Friend Chat Messages"

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

Yes, this is were it gets interesting. Both the guys that added me (different profiles but it might be the same person) wanted my unu wet works, a hat that i bought a couple of month ago and realized it was a bad deal and that i'm trying to sell with no success. It's interesting cuz i have many more WAY better unusuals, but they interested in the only one i can't sell! How lucky, right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bentry Suster said:

If you've ever talked to a scammer, Steam has a feature that restores all conversations 

"Please provide Uncropped and Unedited from browser (make sure your windows/mac taskbar is also showing) screenshots of your ENTIRE chat with the user by going to:

Steam Support > My Account > Data Related to your Steam Account > Friend Chat Messages"

Thanks for the info, i didn't know about this. But still this is not the relevant point for me, i already have the conversations but there's no proof about their malicious intent.  I wanna know if there's anyone that have been scammed by this, and if there's not i wanna put a spotlight on it. IT was and it still is the most popular scam on Rocket league trading, but it's not mentioned enough in the tf2 community.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, larry86 said:

Thanks for the info, i didn't know about this. But still this is not the relevant point for me, i already have the conversations but there's no proof about their malicious intent.  I wanna know if there's anyone that have been scammed by this, and if there's not i wanna put a spotlight on it. IT was and it still is the most popular scam on Rocket league trading, but it's not mentioned enough in the tf2 community.

Rule number #1 : Trust no one.
Rule number #2 : Don't be gullable
Rule number #3 : Don't be stupid
Rule number #4 : If it looks too good to be true... do not trust it. 

Chargeback scams happen, exit scammers love to do those. Most scammers you will meet won't bother with sending money or anything and just try to directly steal the items through tricking you.

If they ask to buy it for real money, tell them to buy it from SCM. Scammers usually start sweating after I tell them that

8 hours ago, larry86 said:

Hello guys,

It's the second time that some guy randomly adds me and ask to buy my unusual for "real money", saying that he will go first (even tho i have no reputation at all!) so i have nothing to be afraid of. New and sketchy steam profile, where they pretend to be "cash traders" but with no tf2 worthy inventory. I have experience in rocket league trading, where a popular scam was occurring: they go first and then ask paypal or their bank a refund, pretendin they they've been hacked or something, and the seller has little chance to appeal that. So i was wondering, is this a tf2 scam as well? I never heard of anyone talkin about this, but it's literally the second time in a couple of month that someone tries it on me. I wish i could report em but i don't have proofs, only the conversations where they ask for a cash transaction.

I mean if they want to do cash there's nothing stopping them just buying keys with cash and trading those with you. I would normally only do cash trading in exceptional circumstances, I didn't check what wet works it is but presumably not enough keys for buying the keys to be a hassle.

But yeah as others have said, charge back schemes are a thing, but it's more likely the cash trade thing is a front for another type of scam. Either way you're right it's fishy, nobody with a new profile and worthless bp would be doing that with legitimate intent. 

4 hours ago, zelias said:

If they ask to buy it for real money, tell them to buy it from SCM. Scammers usually start sweating after I tell them that

Yep, already told em. Can also sell on marketplace.tf, but they use the "i go first" card to gain your trust, since if you don't know about chargeback you'll think it's safe. I'm really lucky that i already knew about this type of scam, i bet i'd have fell for this if i didn't. Anyway guys, hopefully i spreaded some knowledge about this, for anyone reading, good luck and trade safely!