Tf2 server

Destroyer

Hey guys, my friend made a tf2 server, but we have trouble attracting players to it.  
-What do you think would be a good map / game mode for us to choose from to attract people on the server?
-Also what do you think would be a good way to promote the server?
Thanks. 

Depends what kind of server you want to host. If its a botless paradise you crave, why not create a koth or pl map? If its chaos you want, a vs saxton hale or map of its equivalent might be cool. If you're into trading, you could host a trade server and tell people about it. It will be hard competing with the bigger groups, so you may have to advertise on other servers. Anyways, good luck.

As someone who has hosted and run my own servers before, I have only lost money so I can't really contribute here ;-;

I found some success by getting well known in niche communities and gamemodes, then making a server for that mode/community.

Eventually though the niche community just goes back to playing where they were regulars already.

Trade servers did really well on launch week, before failing miserably.

No pressure :) 

• Like 2

really the only way it's gonna make it big is if you host like 5-10 100% vanilla servers and make some big promotion for it on r/tf2 tbh.

Otherwise it's gonna be a struggle since most people prefer the convenience of casual matchmaking

all my homies like hydro.so you should do a vanilla hydro.

or a vanilla degroot keep,servers on casual for them are scarce

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Destroyer said:

Hey guys, my friend made a tf2 server, but we have trouble attracting players to it.  
-What do you think would be a good map / game mode for us to choose from to attract people on the server?
-Also what do you think would be a good way to promote the server?
Thanks. 

I think Arena in NA deserves another chance, competitively and casually. Arena is a great 12v12 mode for casual that has a bunch of maps already made by Valve, but it also is just as fun in 5v5 competitive modes with dynamic class styles.
Prize pools in mini tournaments and an active community would ideally gain the most attention for the server.

10 minutes ago, mitk said:

I think Arena in NA deserves another chance, competitively and casually. Arena is a great 12v12 mode for casual that has a bunch of maps already made by Valve, but it also is just as fun in 5v5 competitive modes with dynamic class styles.
Prize pools in mini tournaments and an active community would ideally gain the most attention for the server.

I was actually looking into hosting an arena tournament somewhat recently, but when I polled players of different skill levels, many of them responded that they would unlikely be interested in the event. Arena really is something that needs to come back though, right now its solely used for vsh and other whacky gamemodes 

1 hour ago, STEVE said:

I was actually looking into hosting an arena tournament somewhat recently, but when I polled players of different skill levels, many of them responded that they would unlikely be interested in the event. Arena really is something that needs to come back though, right now its solely used for vsh and other whacky gamemodes 

Funny thing is, I have some concept art for 5v5 Arena Tournament Medals xD.
It defo sounds like something that should be revived though, and has big potential.

39 minutes ago, mitk said:

Funny thing is, I have some concept art for 5v5 Arena Tournament Medals xD.
It defo sounds like something that should be revived though, and has big potential.

STEVE x mitk 5v5 arena tourney incoming? :o 

On 4/25/2023 at 5:06 AM, STEVE said:

STEVE x mitk 5v5 arena tourney incoming? :o 

sponsored by benny geel and dante from dmc