I got scammed by the fake Marketplace.tf bots :/

KrooseT1

I'm writing this because I want everyone to know about this scam so it doesn't happen to anyone else but me. I started playing tf2 around 2015 till 2018 because I had moved to another country. Then I started playing again in December 2022 and haven't stopped ever since. I got into it again and started unboxing every other week or so when I get paid until I got my first unusual, then getting all the cosmetics and weapons I've ever desired since I was a kid, basically living my childhood again and it felt so good. So I was getting more expensive items little by little enjoying the shit out of them, until.... RaZeR - Buying Backpacks & QS messaged me. He was interested in buying my unusual. I was so happy because I wanted to buy something I liked by cashing out, so, he wanted to communicate through discord, and so we did, he told me to do some weird steps in marketplace.tf watchlist. At this point I wasn't aware of how it worked so he explained it to me, basically forcing me to understand something that I didn't understand but it that was believable. After doing the process, a MPTF Bot # sent me a friend request, then sending me for a test trade of a refined metal to make me to believe that I will get your items back. Later on, the guy told me to "!chat" with the "MPTF Bot #", then he sent me another trade for all my items to check to see if they are "fraud" items of "valid" and I did.... (but I was iffy about it because i know they aren't fraud items and valid, but I did it anyways IDK WHY), when I tried to "withdraw" my items the bot asked me to "purchase CSGO Empire Coin Gift Card via online:- LINK-" in order to "validate" my items/account and withdraw all my items back and send the code to the bot. And SO I DID like a dumbass, then the bot sent me another message saying I have to send 3 MORE CODES and I was like wtf that's like 200$ just to get my items back? but he told me it will be fully refunded and the bot messages you that it will be refunded as well, and I fell for it AGAIN.. so I sent the bot 2 more codes but for the third code my payment wasn't going through and it was on hold so I was trying to figure out why my payment was on hold or whatever it was until my patience ran out. I had to leave the call and postpone the "trade" because it literally took like 3 hours and I had to go do some things. I still wasn't aware until after, I was thinking about it and talked to my friend about it then I realized that this whole thing was a scam. I spent over $200 on the codes and lost all my items ($300+). I got really depressed and sad, because all my hard work and money is gone like nothing ever happened, and now every time I think about playing tf2, I don't because I have nothing to look forward anymore. AND that my friends is my story of how I got scammed out of my brains. GG be safe out there.

Proof 1.png

proof 2.png

proof 3.png

proof 4.png

Scammer's account.png

Scammer's account 2.png

He sucked me dry to the bone. please report those 2 accounts so they can get banned I would appreciate that a lot.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, KrooseT1 said:

I want everyone to know about this scam so it doesn't happen to anyone else but me.

Information about similar scams is already out there and the fact it happened to you means it's going to happen to other people, regardless of this post existing or not.

Sorry for your loss but at least it wasn't 16k like someone yesterday lost :)

1 hour ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

Information about similar scams is already out there and the fact it happened to you means it's going to happen to other people, regardless of this post existing or not.

Me when 16k 💀 (it is 16 keys💀💀💀

1 hour ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

dude but I looked up everything and nothing showed up so I was like fuck it. rip me.

42 minutes ago, KrooseT1 said:

dude but I looked up everything and nothing showed up so I was like fuck it. rip me.

I'd guess that scammers use fake mptf bots less frequently these days because most people aren't even allowed to sell on that site.

edit:  2nd result when I googled the phrase: common tf2 scams

PSA: Here is a list of common scams going around nowadays. Please use common sense when dealing with random strangers. Spread the word to any new players to the game. : tf2 (reddit.com)

^ just swap mannco.store with mptf

It hurts to hear that a scammer "earned" so much in one day. Why do you need money at all? With such success, you could sponsor a terrorist organization. You also gave $200 on top> "Take my skins, I'll even pay for it." I don't think experience should be that expensive.

46 minutes ago, KrooseT1 said:

The thing is idk how tf2 works outside of the gameplay. The other thing is I don't know how to look up people in bp.tf, I tried putting his username on it but umm didn't workout obviously hehe

Just copy the profile link and enter it into bp or steamrep search, do not click on any links provided by others.

43242.png

44444.png

The item verification scam is basically the oldest scam in the book when it comes to Steam trading and has been one of the most common types of scams since 2010. There's literally no reason or need to "verify" an aspect about an item. All information about the items are presented on the inventory page and similarly, if an item is tradeable, it'll show up in the trade screen. Additionally, Steam also provides warnings about this when you make an empty trade which you have to verify away and assume all liability for the results of the trade.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get the items or your money back, and with the scammer already well marked and banned, there's not really a whole lot more that can be done. Like the grandma who buys an itunes card for "processing fees for her Publisher's Clearing House winnings", you spent $500 to learn the life lesson that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Damn, lotta people getting scammed recently, and by some already noticeably bad people too

oof man, hope you have a great rest of the day!

4 minutes ago, Tylow said:

Give it a rest man he was already sucked dry to the bone there’s nothing for you to buy bro….

what😂

i gifted the dude an all class unusual + some keys 

17 minutes ago, Tylow said:

Give it a rest man he was already sucked dry to the bone there’s nothing for you to buy bro….

mfw people see any high tier trader and thinks they're a jackass. dont jump to conclusions unless you know the person. kolt is chill af

• Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Lucyfer said:

mfw people see any high tier trader and thinks they're a jackass. dont jump to conclusions unless you know the person. kolt is chill af

love ❤️ 

Sorry for the loss!

If you are getting trade offers redirected, follow ALL of these steps:

1. Change password immediately, and also change it anywhere else you have the same password set. The scammer will try to log into your email with it when he loses access.

2. De-authorize all other devices here: https://store.steampowered.com/twofactor/manage

3. Revoke any API keys set. Their only use, if you don't know what it is, is keeping control of your account. https://steamcommunity.com/dev/apikey

4. If this still doesn't resolve the issue, contact Steam Support at https://help.steampowered.com/

You're also free to join the backpack.tf discord - https://discord.gg/j7cMkGF . - where you can ask for second opinions on a situation you might not fully trust.

3 hours ago, Kolt said:

what😂

i gifted the dude an all class unusual + some keys 

thank you for making everyones day bro, have a good one!

14 hours ago, KrooseT1 said:

The thing is idk how tf2 works outside of the gameplay. The other thing is I don't know how to look up people in bp.tf, I tried putting his username on it but umm didn't workout obviously hehe

Maybe I'll make a video on this and share it around. I know hundreds of videos like this already exist.