United States Involvement in Ukraine

CheddarZX

So I'm sure we all know about what's going on in Ukraine as of now. If not, well, here's a basic rundown:

The European Union and the Russian Federation want to make economic deals with Ukraine, the Ukrainians want to side with the EU because they believe their deal would benefit the general public while the Russian deal would benefit the rich. However, the Ukrainian government has chosen to side with the Russians, which has caused lots of turmoil and unrest in Ukraine. There are tons of protesters and overall lots of violence in Ukraine. Laws have been past to limit these demonstrations, but they were soon removed. Eventually the Russians got sick of Ukraine's shit and sent troops to invade Ukraine. Nobody is sure how many Russian soldiers are currently in Ukraine, but several news sources estimate about 6,000-16,000+. The Russians are currently in the Ukrainian peninsula of Crimea, and President Vladimir Putin claims that this is a "humanitarian effort" and that the purpose of the soldiers is too help the people of Russian ethnicity in Ukraine for "any possible danger" from the Ukrainians who want to side with the EU. The Russians also want Crimea because they believe it is rightfully theirs. However, this isn't an actual war. There's no casualties and no actual battling taking place.

The big question: should the United States get militarily involved, as in sending troops into Ukraine/Russia to try and stop them? What do you think?

WHY THEY SHOULD

The United States is probably the only country on the planet who has the military and technological strength to combat Russia. Sure, China may be option, but considering our unfriendly relations with them and their history with the Soviet Union, it is highly unlikely they would ally with us and oppose Russia. This could end up being a repeat of the beginning of World War II—the Germans invaded and conquered several other countries in Europe, and Britain and France simply sat back and said, "No need to worry, they're going to stop any day now." Germany pulled the last straw by invading Poland, but when Britain and France finally declared war on Germany they were already very powerful with lots of land and resources at their disposal. There's a possibility that Russia may act like this today, and when we finally decide to fight back they will already be very powerful. Although, this is only just a possibility. 

WHY THEY SHOULDN'T

It's likely that if the U.S. sends troops over, what may seem a small conflict now can escalate into something bigger. We've never really, truly been at war with Russia, and considering that we're both world superpowers and the strongest nations on Earth, extremely devastating results can occur. At the very instance I am typing this, we both have the destructive capabilities to completely annihilate each other. At this very instant. It would be absolutely catastrophic if we would go to war. It will be completely unpredictable. The EU would have our back, but there is a slight chance countries like China, North Korea, and, heck, maybe even Vietnam will side by the Russians. It would be madness.

So, uh, yeah, what do you think we should do?

Putin still refuses to acknowledge that Russian troops are in the Crimea. As for WW2, the USSR also invaded Poland, whereas the UK and France were recovering from WW1 and the Wall Street Crash. Appeasement wasn't the best policy, but the opposite led to Vietnam. It was successful in Korea, though.However, WW1 also had a similar buildup - nations mobilising over local issues (the Balkans).

What I believe the U.S should do is not worry about it because it isn't really the Untied States job to do EVERYTHING in this country. The US butts in to every single conflict that goes on. 

They want U.S. involved, then when they go in everybody starts complaining about them getting involved.

We get involved in too much, but we HAVE to police every country even though ours is pretty screwed over as it is.

What I believe the U.S should do is not worry about it because it isn't really the Untied States job to do EVERYTHING in this country. The US butts in to every single conflict that goes on. 

Id agree with you if it were a smaller issue, but staying out at this point would do nothing could, and just let Russia gain strength for an inevitable conflict, since the US is the only country by itself with enough power to combat Russia.

I shall proceed to act as a true American, bitch to Obama about not doing anything while remaining clueless myself about how to prevent it

fix it for us pls obama

Hello fellas!

I'd like to introduce myself. I live in the Czech republic in Prague, it's in the Central Europe. I am a native Russian, a bit of Armenian though. I live with my girlfriend almost 2 years in Prague. She is from Odessa, Ukraine. She is very nervous last few months due to Maydan.

The Maydan was devastating to Ukraine. Parents of my girlfriend are in a very bad financial position due to it. They weren't rich, but now I'm trying to help them as much as I can. She's very nervous because U.S., especially Mr. John Kerry says things such as U.S.A. should stop Russia... She doesn't think Russia invades Crimea.

As a representative of the Russian nation I'd like to tell you we don't want to add a small peninsula to our country just because we're greedy or what ever you think. We simply don't need it.

The family of my girlfriend had to give 50,000 USD bribery to a new government in Ukraine back in the 2004 just to leave them alone. If you remember that was the last "Maydan", when Mr. Yushenko became the president. Today, you can see the similiar shit, the things are so ridiculous, the country is divided by U.S.A. and Russia influences. The country is being burnt from the inside. The new Ukranian government are bandits, a big part of them were fighting against Russia in The Chechen republic in 90's. The name of the political party is UNA-UNSO. I'd gladly send you videos to support my words.

My girlfriend is very scared because the new Ukranian government can send Ukranian troops to the Crimea very soon. These troops are doomed, since Russia has elite troops in the Crimea and Ukraine would 100% lost this battle. The only reason is to take some photos and videos for the Western medias, to support NATO invasion after that.

Last, but not the least, I'm not into these political things, but my Ukranian girlfriend is. The all information I got is from her.

Please, don't think everything you see is true. In this century people will face with a completely new type of war. IT war... The worst thing is that it's happening with us and you, because many soldiers would die from any side.

Support Ukraine! Stop this nightmare! Stop the bandits!

Hello fellas! I'd like to introduce myself. I live in the Czech republic in Prague, it's in the Central Europe. I am a native Russian, a bit of Armenian though. I live with my girlfriend almost 2 years in Prague. She is from Odessa, Ukraine. She is very nervous last few months due to Maydan.The Maydan was devastating to Ukraine. Parents of my girlfriend are in a very bad financial position due to it. They weren't rich, but now I'm trying to help them as much as I can. She's very nervous because U.S., especially Mr. John Kerry says things such as U.S.A. should stop Russia... She doesn't think Russia invades Crimea.As a representative of the Russian nation I'd like to tell you we don't want to add a small peninsula to our country just because we're greedy or what ever you think. We simply don't need it.The family of my girlfriend had to give 50,000 USD bribery to a new government in Ukraine back in the 2004 just to leave them alone. If you remember that was the last "Maydan", when Mr. Yushenko became the president. Today, you can see the similiar shit, the things are so ridiculous, the country is divided by U.S.A. and Russia influences. The country is being burnt from the inside. The new Ukranian government are bandits, a big part of them were fighting against Russia in The Chechen republic in 90's. The name of the political party is UNA-UNSO. I'd gladly send you videos to support my words.My girlfriend is very scared because the new Ukranian government can send Ukranian troops to the Crimea very soon. These troops are doomed, since Russia has elite troops in the Crimea and Ukraine would 100% lost this battle. The only reason is to take some photos and videos for the Western medias, to support NATO invasion after that.Last, but not the least, I'm not into these political things, but my Ukranian girlfriend is. The all information I got is from her.Please, don't think everything you see is true. In this century people will face with a completely new type of war. IT war... The worst thing is that it's happening with us and you, because many soldiers would die from any side. Support Ukraine! Stop this nightmare! Stop the bandits!

What's interesting is that Russian state TV interviewed a Russian governor of a border province who claimed that 'armed bandits' were blocking their roads. Guess who had been setting up roadblocks? Russian soldiers, led of course by Putin, the ex-KGB officer.

What's interesting is that Russian state TV interviewed a Russian governor of a border province who claimed that 'armed bandits' were blocking their roads. Guess who had been setting up roadblocks? Russian soldiers, led of course by Putin, the ex-KGB officer.

source?

Unfortunately, the US can't put any aircraft carriers in the Black Sea (because of longstanding naval treaties). We have sent a destroyer there for "planned training operations".

Unfortunately, the US can't put any aircraft carriers in the Black Sea (because of longstanding naval treaties). We have sent a destroyer there for "planned training operations".

What are you talking about??? Leave Ukraine alone! Oh God, you don't get anything.

Nobody wants a war neither Ukraine nor Russia. Why does U.S.A. always have to send the troops to any destination???

I think Russia should stop being stupid , i mean everything was in order before Russia did this.

Thats my personal opinion

Well the Crimea has been fucked ever since. It's almost always been controlled by foreigners (Greeks, Ottomans, several kinds of Russians). Right now there's a majority of ethnic Russians, who like Russia. Due to democracy giving the largest part what they want, the other population is fucked. But the US, or EU should NOT send troops. These new government people are neonazi's. I'd prefer Putin. Don't create another Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam or any other thing like that

Here's another source -http://m.digitaljournal.com/news/world/russia-launches-propaganda-war-over-ukraine/article/373952 I believe the TV channel is "Rossiya 24".

Thanks for the link you sent. I will try to make it clear. Channel 1 in Russia is like CNN in the United States. I hate them both, but I'm not surprised they cancelled live footage of the Oscars show, because al things are happening today is a tradegy. When we had a terrorist attack in Volgograd Channel 1 didn't show anything except news about it. I don't think it was due to "propaganda", it's just because there's a thing like mourning...

About the Russian soldiers in the Crimea. I hope Ukranian army won't try to stop referendum in the Crimea, because it will result in really big problems for everyone. The roads to the Crimea are being controlled by the Russian soldiers now, everything is ok.

The situation looks like that: the new Kiev government is trying to hide neonazis and marauders from European spectators, Russia is trying to hide it's troops in the Crimea. Fair enough.

The only unpredictable thing is "Democracy"... The leaders of Maidan represented minority, they have never were supported by the majority of Ukraine, now they have the power, the army and the police and as any politician they will try to save it, like Yanukovich did. I don't think Yanukovich was ok, he is a bad president, but we live in democracy, so he had to go through impeachment process. Also, there was 1 year left and he already signed the agreement about preterm president election. Also U.S. was supporting Maidan on a high level. So basically they are supporting the seizure of power. These are facts.

If anybody needs more info feel free to contact me. I'm repeating, I'm interested ONLY in peace, I'm against military actions, I'm against U.S. involvement in Ukraine.

Thanks for the link you sent. I will try to make it clear. Channel 1 in Russia is like CNN in the United States. I hate them both, but I'm not surprised they cancelled live footage of the Oscars show, because al things are happening today is a tradegy. When we had a terrorist attack in Volgograd Channel 1 didn't show anything except news about it. I don't think it was due to "propaganda", it's just because there's a thing like mourning...

About the Russian soldiers in the Crimea. I hope Ukranian army won't try to stop referendum in the Crimea, because it will result in really big problems for everyone. The roads to the Crimea are being controlled by the Russian soldiers now, everything is ok.

The situation looks like that: the new Kiev government is trying to hide neonazis and marauders from European spectators, Russia is trying to hide it's troops in the Crimea. Fair enough.

The only unpredictable thing is "Democracy"... The leaders of Maidan represented minority, they have never were supported by the majority of Ukraine, now they have the power, the army and the police and as any politician they will try to save it, like Yanukovich did. I don't think Yanukovich was ok, he is a bad president, but we live in democracy, so he had to go through impeachment process. Also, there was 1 year left and he already signed the agreement about preterm president election. Also U.S. was supporting Maidan on a high level. So basically they are supporting the seizure of power. These are facts.

If anybody needs more info feel free to contact me. I'm repeating, I'm interested ONLY in peace, I'm against military actions, I'm against U.S. involvement in Ukraine.

I see, it's a bit like Syria where both sides aren't exactly great choices, only there the FSA is sandwiched in the middle. The sad thing is that Ukraine will probably en up in a civil war if no one intervenes, so I guess even if it is Putin who does intervene, it's still better than the alternative. Russia really needs to be more open about these things though.

Archived