Marked by SteamRep

Evanon

So I've just recently started playing tf2 again after ~9 years, and I really wanna get into trading again. And I made the mistake of leaving a spycrab back in 2011, and acquired the BANNED BY UHC tag. Altough the hat I was supposed to give away was just a regular heavy ''Hard Counter'' hat, I hate myself for it. Because I remember the feeling of winning a spycrab, and I stole that away from him. I really really REALLY wish I could find the guy again and apologize. 

So now what? Well I've submitted an appeal to SteamRep and their website states that in most cases I will recieve a LEGACY tag which I've been told is almost the same as a CAUTION tag. Since the community that banned me (UHC) no longer exists. So my question is will I be able to use backpacktf and other sites with the LEGACY tag? or does it count the same as a regular steamrep tag that I have today? And would people be able to trade with me without getting banned themselves?

Thanks.

Oh wow yeah, I could have sworn it said 13 on steam rep, time really flies huh. I do remember playing back in 2013 though when mvm came out if I'm not mistaken.

UHC was a community trade server, I don't remember if they had more than one server but, that's where I got the ban.

18 minutes ago, Evanon said:

So I've just recently started playing tf2 again after ~9 years, and I really wanna get into trading again. And I made the mistake of leaving a spycrab back in 2011, and acquired the BANNED BY UHC tag. Altough the hat I was supposed to give away was just a regular heavy ''Hard Counter'' hat, I hate myself for it. Because I remember the feeling of winning a spycrab, and I stole that away from him. I really really REALLY wish I could find the guy again and apologize. 

So now what? Well I've submitted an appeal to SteamRep and their website states that in most cases I will recieve a LEGACY tag which I've been told is almost the same as a CAUTION tag. Since the community that banned me (UHC) no longer exists. So my question is will I be able to use backpacktf and other sites with the LEGACY tag? or does it count the same as a regular steamrep tag that I have today? And would people be able to trade with me without getting banned themselves?

Thanks.

This person has a similar ban to yours (Banned for spycrab running) and they don't seem to be able to use backpack.tf: https://backpack.tf/u/76561198080172889

As for other sites, you'll have to see/ask yourself if they allow legacy banned users.

I see, well that blows. I'm sorry for what I did and I wish I was given a second chance cause I really want to be a part of the trading community again.

Thanks for the response!

5 hours ago, Abstract said:

This person has a similar ban to yours (Banned for spycrab running) and they don't seem to be able to use backpack.tf: https://backpack.tf/u/76561198080172889

As for other sites, you'll have to see/ask yourself if they allow legacy banned users.

https://backpack.tf/issue/5ea47622d835171ae773d901

In this case their ban wasn't applied automatically, but they retained the scammer mark status as per rules on background checks, so it comes down to how backpack interprets the legacy tag in writing, and how they indicate it on your profile. Legacy tag is automatically banned now probably to prevent confusion, but I see no reason why they couldn't add in a new tag.

If you take a look at the SteamRep posts (#1, #2) about the Legacy tags:

This type of tag is meant to indicate that you were banned as a scammer by a SteamRep partner community who no longer exists, so evidence supporting your reputation may be gone. It is up to each individual community whether or how they wish to treat such tags, but they will be treated as a completely different type of reputation status in future versions of the API. Older versions, which currently ban for any BANNED BY tag by default, will see this as a CAUTION, and no longer automatically ban. Legacy bans will effectively provide immediate relief to anyone with old scammer tags from communities that no longer exist. They cannot be appealed, and are only issued automatically through this legacy appeal process.

So if you end up with one, it's ultimately up to the bp staff how they want to handle it. According to SteamRep, future versions of the API will treat Legacy bans as an entirely separate tag. If the Legacy tag ends up applied, you could always try and make an appeal on bp and any other community you wish to be a part of if they automatically ban you. As far as I know, the bp staff hasn't made a public statement on handling these tags (like if they're banning all users with one, case-by-case basis, etc.) so I assume it'd be worth a shot after SteamRep processes your appeal. 

Backpack.tf does allow at least some users with Caution tags to still use the site, so if they treat Legacy tags in the same vein I'd assume it'd be a similar situation. Just be open, honest, and responsive with any staff, SteamRep or otherwise, handling your case for the best potential outcome. Good luck!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

My brother was banned for exact same thing over 10 years ago(spycrab running) and I was banned just recently just because I traded him once (he's my brother we trade hats of course) and BP.TF and SteamREP admins are complete garbage at their job and don't actually care about appeals from community.  

If you get TF2 community banned, don't ever have hope of getting it appealed.