Buy order bots suddenly dissapeared

Exot12c

I have a fifth dimension climbing commander wich had a bunch of buy orders by bots at 114 keys yesterday and suddenly they all dissapeared and now there's only 1 at 22 keys.

I'm not planning to quicksell or sell it but I want to know what happened and if they'll be back or not.

Yea same thing happened with my morning glory L'inspecteur. Don't worry they will come back i think. It has happened before.

My bet is that it's got something to do with it being the first of the month. Something about how bots calculate their buy price. Maybe a bot owner can explain what's happening under the hood?

>buy orders keep going up

>aggressive cutting scripts cause buy orders to get severely inflated, lots of examples around, stormy chieftains challenge for a quick example

>people turn their scripts off/withdraw keys from their bots because every unusual dump is dogshit

>buy order autoprice quickly goes to 0/generics

if you are new around here the term "buy order crash" might be alien to you but this has happened a couple time since i guess the tail end of 2020, with people being able to code their own scripts/bots, it is expected that most markets are propped up by the same 3/4 individuals whose scripts just keep overcutting each other and eventually people realise its just not worth botting an item or not using a bot at all

This seems very worrying for volatility of market. Now even buy orders cant be used as a base for any trade. It should be controlled by either forcing the bots to not crash price but gradually reduce and not letting same pricer based bots everywhere. If there are multiple same pricer based ones they shouldn't be allowed to disappear all at once. I know its just my opinion but surely we need some rules. We cant let whole market be manipulated/managed by handful script or individuals.

41 minutes ago, Rakaksha said:

This seems very worrying for volatility of market. Now even buy orders cant be used as a base for any trade. It should be controlled by either forcing the bots to not crash price but gradually reduce and not letting same pricer based bots everywhere. If there are multiple same pricer based ones they shouldn't be allowed to disappear all at once. I know its just my opinion but surely we need some rules. We cant let whole market be manipulated/managed by handful script or individuals.

Buy orders should never be realistically used as a base of any trade in my opinion. Lots of rules have been changed already for bot buyers etc etc

I agree that we shouldn't allow whole markets to be managed by a handful of individuals but it gets increasingly more difficult to police that as more people get into it

21 minutes ago, karma miguel said:

Back in my day there were no buy orders. 

fr fr, good times where 30% off was a legitimate qbuy offer

1 hour ago, karma miguel said:

How did you show people what you wanted to buy then? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don't know how it worked back then.

1 hour ago, ajdislikesyournamingpolicy said:

Buy orders should never be realistically used as a base of any trade in my opinion. Lots of rules have been changed already for bot buyers etc etc

I agree that we shouldn't allow whole markets to be managed by a handful of individuals but it gets increasingly more difficult to police that as more people get into it

But it has now long been a norm to treat bot orders as base. I joined TF2 since Jungle inferno ever since then i rarely found any trader who dealt without buyorders. Now it is even more difficult considering way outdated pricing and too many unusuals to price now.

38 minutes ago, The Real Jetpack Jackson said:

How did you show people what you wanted to buy then? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don't know how it worked back then.

If I remember correctly, the “buy orders” side used to also be sellers, and unless you knew ahead of time someone wanted your hat, you usually just listed it at whatever seemed reasonable, (checking sellers price on similar effects) and waited, or went to trade servers/ spammed the hat to other people for their stuff.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, karma miguel said:

Boomer!

7 hours ago, TheTexanTiger said:

My bet is that it's got something to do with it being the first of the month. Something about how bots calculate their buy price. Maybe a bot owner can explain what's happening under the hood?

No, date of the month has nothing to do with it

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I want to go back to those days when halloween effects arent inflated by rich traders

God damn whales get off my free 2 play game!

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I want to go back to those days when halloween effects arent inflated by rich traders

darkblaze viewfinder 😧

17 hours ago, Shotgun said:

i feel the same about spelled items

Good riddance, I hope they stay gone. Sick of having to update my buy orders on the hats I actually want because some soulless bot overcuts my listing by 2 ref automatically.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hope the b/o is coming back! I payed 27.1 keys pure for Electrostatic Respectless Rubber Glove and yesterday I saw the b/o went from 26.8 keys pure to 14 keys. If the b/o is not coming back I will delete the unusual / sell it for 2 keys or smt >:c

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 4:49 AM, Rakaksha said:

Don't be ridiculous. If you didn't know, buy-orders weren't always a thing and the market functioned just fine. It is totally up to the trader's own discretion whether or not to put weight into the current buy order price.

And it would be totally wrong to enforce buy orders in such a way as you have suggested. Buy orders are just that, a listing of what a person wants to pay for an item. You can't suddenly start forcing people to maintain particular prices against their will. The market moves and buyers move with it.

• Like 2