This new UI is awful

XenonNSMB
Abstract
Message added by Abstract,

To give direct feedback for the next version of backpack.tf (bugs, missing features, etc), check out the #next-feedback and #next-discussion channels on the Discord server: https://discord.gg/f5VS7cr

Who asked for the old perfectly functional UI to be replaced with 2.5 MB (!) of webpacked client-side-rendered NPM bullshit? I can’t even use the site without turning on javascript anymore because there is zero element markup in the html. My laptop fan should not have to turn on to render a team fortress 2 trading site. Can we stop letting masochists design websites?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're always welcome to offer constructive criticism on it if it's that offensive to you, I think it's kinda refreshing

i have to agree here, my cpu performance spiked after i tried using the new site, it really needs some better optimizations

The new ui looking like a 2017 gambling website that stole all your info, impressive how its a downgrade in almost everyway

Seems to me like whoever designed the new ui has never made a site before and is just using a copy paste of something else without knowing anything about what they are doing.

To me, the new site just seems kinda off. The site itself is a dark-ish format, but the content that's displayed is pretty bright, which results in some striking contrast that I find kinda awful. Second, the new site is less compact, which displays a lot less information with what information that is being displayed is "jumping" out at you, slightly obtrusive. Slightly annoying there as well. In contrast, the current site has a uniform brightness scheme, and is very compact.

One thing I do like is how they revamped the classies search a bit. Finally, you can search for spells directly without having to jump to the last page, then go forward from there. Overall, the move towards a marketplace.tf style search is very nice. I would like an option to be able to search festivized weapons though, not just url editing

1 hour ago, Vincentius said:

Seems to me like whoever designed the new ui has never made a site before and is just using a copy paste of something else without knowing anything about what they are doing.

Same as eeeeeeeeeeeee, you both know exactly who backpack.tf's developer is

2 minutes ago, Shocked said:

mfers be running the website on a 1.6Ghz Intel Celeron

If your website that consists of solely simple text and images can’t run on an Intel Celeron you must be doing something wrong

7 minutes ago, Shocked said:

mfers be running the website on a 1.6Ghz Intel Celeron

Just went to the new site on my ~10 year old laptop, using chrome, like 20 tabs open, it has a Intel Pentium processor P6100, no real performance issues, things load for like 3 seconds as is normal for my laptop. Without looking at my CPU usage, I see no issues. Seems like they are crying about the numbers being high in task manager while in reality it doesn't necessarily slow anything down, I'd assume

17 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

you both know exactly who backpack.tf's developer is

not anymore since I don't stalk everything like y'all seem to do with me, with the staff seemingly changing ever week I don't know if it was Billy this or Frank that.

Either way the site is beyond poorly designed for even a beta, even computer science students back in hs could do better

• Administrators

Hi guys,

I appreciate the feedback. I'd like to reaffirm that this is still a work-in-progress and I've been paying plenty of attention to user feedback as it comes. Believe it or not, this has been in a far worse state.

If there is something that you can't do, I want to fix that. I'm committed to not letting this replace the old UI until it is at a point where there are few complaints if any. 

I understand the vitriol. I remember when TF2 Outpost got a redesign. I don't want to force a bad design on anyone.

3 hours ago, XenonNSMB said:

Who asked for the old perfectly functional UI to be replaced with 2.5 MB (!) of webpacked client-side-rendered NPM bullshit? I can’t even use the site without turning on javascript anymore because there is zero element markup in the html. My laptop fan should not have to turn on to render a team fortress 2 trading site. Can we stop letting masochists design websites?

The scripts you will load contain prefetched page contents. These will stay cached in your browser. You can even turn off your internet connection and still navigate between pages you have preloaded. I can turn this feature off and save a few KBs of initial download, but it does not really make much of a difference.

The performance issues have been quoted by a few people and I'll be working to address these. 

46 minutes ago, man with the bird said:

To me, the new site just seems kinda off. The site itself is a dark-ish format, but the content that's displayed is pretty bright, which results in some striking contrast that I find kinda awful. Second, the new site is less compact, which displays a lot less information with what information that is being displayed is "jumping" out at you, slightly obtrusive. Slightly annoying there as well. In contrast, the current site has a uniform brightness scheme, and is very compact.

I've been thinking about it. Personally I'm receptive to the darker design, but indeed, the contrast needs some work (though honestly, the old UI has the same problem with the white panels against a dark background, and I noticed a lot of people using dark theme userscripts, so it seemed having a darker UI was a step in the right direction).

As for compactness - yes, I agree. I'll be experimenting to reduce the font size and gutters so you are not as dependent on scrolling. I'm hoping the wider design is welcome, though.

8 minutes ago, Vincentius said:

not anymore since I don't stalk everything like y'all seem to do with me, with the staff seemingly changing ever week I don't know if it was Billy this or Frank that.

Either way the site is beyond poorly designed for even a beta, even computer science students back in hs could do better

1 hour ago, Vincentius said:

The new ui looking like a 2017 gambling website that stole all your info, impressive how its a downgrade in almost everyway

You could've pointed more stuff out other than "It looks like a scam website." Please do not forget about the fact that it is a public beta and you can influence the outcome with your well-written criticism (if you tried at least).

Why are inventories sorted like I'm using a csgo trade extension and not in the way things are actually ordered in my backpack? 

29 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Just went to the new site on my ~10 year old laptop, using chrome, like 20 tabs open, it has a Intel Pentium processor P6100, no real performance issues, things load for like 3 seconds as is normal for my laptop. Without looking at my CPU usage, I see no issues. Seems like they are crying about the numbers being high in task manager while in reality it doesn't necessarily slow anything down, I'd assume

yeah but it shouldnt be that high for a simple webpage

Having to pick effects from a drop down menu, and then unpick them is also roughly 1 million times worse than the current classified search.

6 minutes ago, LstratosHF said:

Why are inventories sorted like I'm using a csgo trade extension and not in the way things are actually ordered in my backpack? 

Definitely think that needs work. Like the old style of displaying everything on one page, then divying it up into sections

Been using it since becoming available for donators, it has potential.

It's definitely nowhere near finished state but has the spirit and feedback is actually listened to. I still have major gripes like loading times, lack of certain ui elements necessary for suggesting, no forums button, filters lacking, backpack view being worse, content loading bumping me upwards when I'm scrolling down, etc. So far I would just invite all of you to join discord and actually leave thoughts and suggestions to improve the site in #next-feedback channel.

would be nice to see the value of my stuff (changed from $ to keys) rather than the suggested range that got accepted - oither than that background seems less punchy than the original but it seems easy enough to use and thats my main concern - ease of use

Archived