How do I not be a free-to-play?

parsaattle

You need to either make a purchase from the Mann Co. Store, have someone gift you an Upgrade to Premium item, or find an old retail copy of TF2 and redeem the cd key inside.

Typically, the first option is easiest. Most people buy keys or ToD tickets as those can then easily be sold on the SCM to get most of their money back or be traded for a bunch of good starter items.

you need to spend atleast 5 usd i think if remember correclty. maybe thats for also having a " premium" steam account. 

9 minutes ago, G R O W U P said:

you need to spend atleast 5 usd i think if remember correclty. maybe thats for also having a " premium" steam account. 

5USD to activate a steam account (allowing you to add friends) then making a purchase via the ingame store.

4 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

You need to either make a purchase from the Mann Co. Store, have someone gift you an Upgrade to Premium item, or find an old retail copy of TF2 and redeem the cd key inside.

Typically, the first option is easiest. Most people buy keys or ToD tickets as those can then easily be sold on the SCM to get most of their money back or be traded for a bunch of good starter items.

Yes, first option is easiest. I own a LOT of steam accounts, i've done this many times lol

I would like to recommend you do NOT buy a regular key, there are so many of those that their value is substantially less in the after market compared to ToDs and case-specific keys. Personally I recommend buying 4 ToDs and doing a tour of two cities (assuming you have friends to play with or you read up on some guides, flip of the coin if your teammates will be nice to you as a new player who doesn't know anything otherwise). Much better odds of getting your money back than unboxing (almost guaranteed 1.5 tickets back at minimum) and you're likely to spend 2-5 hours finishing it.

Other options if you aren't into gambling include: backpack expanders, you'll get 5 more pages (6 total or 8 if you were here for smissmas and got the freebie) when you make the purchase for "free" but more pages is always nice if you're too lazy to get rid of cases. ToDs or case keys that you turn around and instantly sell for hats/weapons/etc.. (after the 7 day trade hold), if you're going to resell for SCM funds I recommend listing ToDs at 0.95-0.98 USD and case keys at 2.45-2.55 USD, the price may be lower when you list but that's because russian ruble was causing some price drops, they should sell when steam updates conversion and they go back up. Buy a single ToD and repeat mvm missions forever (leave before the last tank/robot dies) and use the rest of your steam funds to buy a discounted item(s) on SCM (buy orders or searching) and start your life as a trader main that flips stuff on SCM.

14 hours ago, parsaattle said:

How do I not be a free-to-play? Should I buy a five dollar game? or just buy a key from mann-co store?

Fastest way is to go into Team Fortress 2, go to the Mann co store and buy either a couple tour of duty tickets, a couple keys, or a couple paints. Just don't buy the hats or weapons or bundles they're overpriced to hell.

Archived