Jump to content

You guys think buds will become a currency again?


SweetKilling690
 Share

Recommended Posts

There now 6+ keys and show little to no sign of stopping it’s almost to the point we’re they go up every month lol

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

dont think they will be anytime soon, buds were a currency because you could only trade 8 items at a time making pure trading a menace

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can try lol.
Edit: I'd more interested in something that can replace ref as a currency. Like a ToD tickets or Name Tags.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kajzer said:

You can try lol.
Edit: I'd more interested in something that can replace ref as a currency. Like a ToD tickets or Name Tags.

Yeah agreed, a different low value pure item should be a thing at this point. Ref is so fucking trash at this point and its hella annoying to trade for a key these days. Gotta be something limited but insanely high in supply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Freak4ever2000™ said:

Yeah agreed, a different low value pure item should be a thing at this point. Ref is so fucking trash at this point and its hella annoying to trade for a key these days. Gotta be something limited but insanely high in supply.

realistically ToD tickets are the best bet but they really haven't been pushed hard enough although if ref keeps going down it might be the only option left for low tier traders tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SweetKilling690 said:

There now 6+ keys and show little to no sign of stopping it’s almost to the point we’re they go up every month lol

Price is irrelevant for a currency the only thing that matters is liquidity, earbuds have very bad liquidity that only gets worse as years pass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm actually curious what will end up replacing the regular MannCo keys as the main currency. Every year, after every update, those keys become less and less relevant given every new crate has its own key. Less and less crates from before are being unboxed and if you see how many keys currently exist, they just keep going further up aka not being used for unboxing, just being traded. I feel that's the main reason(among others) as to why unusuals in general are much more expensive now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KN1F3 said:

I feel that's the main reason(among others) as to why unusuals in general are much more expensive now.

Pretty sure the main reason is a combination of

1) Covid inflation

2) There's been a lot of time for die hard fans to grow up and get jobs, almost anyone who's been playing since 2015 is likely to have a job by now so they can actually afford to put money into the game.

3) In addition to the young people growing up, a lot of the old farts have cut supply of many items by never cashing out, regardless of if they play or not.

4) People realizing if they have a limited item they can practically name their price for it

 

Nothing is going to replace the key, they've held a stable price of ~$1.60-$1.90 for over a decade now, there's hundreds of thousands of them compared to the less than 1000 of most case keys so people can hold thousands of them at once. Most people who buy case keys from the store are doing it to open them because it's rarely profitable to resell them. Nothing else in the store exists in such a quantity, is worth more than the key, and most importantly, can ONLY be gained from the store (looking at you nametags). The closest thing is probably taunts but I mean, most of the store only ones have less than 50k which isn't nearly enough for the amount of people that trade. Although considering how expensive taunt crates are maybe the conga is a viable option with 200k and a price of $10, however this still leaves a gap of what to use for anything worth less than the conga and who knows how many congas are in dead accounts so actual quantity could be closer to 50k who knows I'm starting to rant this idea is stupid.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

Pretty sure the main reason is a combination of

1) Covid inflation

2) There's been a lot of time for die hard fans to grow up and get jobs, almost anyone who's been playing since 2015 is likely to have a job by now so they can actually afford to put money into the game.

3) In addition to the young people growing up, a lot of the old farts have cut supply of many items by never cashing out, regardless of if they play or not.

4) People realizing if they have a limited item they can practically name their price for it

 

Nothing is going to replace the key, they've held a stable price of ~$1.60-$1.90 for over a decade now, there's hundreds of thousands of them compared to the less than 1000 of most case keys so people can hold thousands of them at once. Most people who buy case keys from the store are doing it to open them because it's rarely profitable to resell them. Nothing else in the store exists in such a quantity, is worth more than the key, and most importantly, can ONLY be gained from the store (looking at you nametags). The closest thing is probably taunts but I mean, most of the store only ones have less than 50k which isn't nearly enough for the amount of people that trade. Although considering how expensive taunt crates are maybe the conga is a viable option with 200k and a price of $10, however this still leaves a gap of what to use for anything worth less than the conga and who knows how many congas are in dead accounts so actual quantity could be closer to 50k who knows I'm starting to rant this idea is stupid.

Oh I get that about it having a set price, but why would anyone want to have so many keys with no use for them outside of trading? They're just taking up backpack space for those in mid to high tier trading. And I know none of the crate-specific keys will replace them for obvious reasons. I think the end game for valve is pretty obvious - for there to be no main use of currency(reason for no longer expanding backpack size). They wanna see that darkblaze VVF sold through the steam market instead of merely traded. Of course, they can't do anything about paypal, crypto etc. trading...yet. For the record, not saying regular keys will be going the way of the dinosaur in a month or two. 5 years from now if tf2 is still popular like today? Trading could be very different as history has shown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, KN1F3 said:

They wanna see that darkblaze VVF sold through the steam market instead of merely traded. 

Won't likely ever happen because that item is worth more than the limit on a single SCM transaction. It's capped at $2000US ($2500?) or something I think, which is why there's never super expensive CSGO items either like Dragon Lores or Katowice 2014 stickers listed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yaaaa i bought one at 14 oct 6key 20 refs its now 7 keys gonna follow forum from now lmao

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...