Add pending report(s) on users backpack profile

Strife Hale

Can you please add pending reports that can be shown on a users profile you visit? It's similar to the Steamrep caution when you visit a users backpack profile. Well, of course Steamrep has their own forum for reports, but we do too. Why don't you make use of our forums on a users profile too?

I would like you to add something like Caution: This user has 1 or more pending reports on the forums. Also, don't forget to add a link to that pending report by hyperlinking the word forum. Mods can do this by editing on that users profile and it's not that hard to add this.

Why this now if you ask? Well, I can't blame anyone else here except the backpack mods. They are too lazy to check big reports and have no intention to hire more active people. You can temporarily move the inactive mods and move them to the inactive roster but instead recruit some people. I can't stress this enough cause I only see Pixels and Smokey checking issues. Pixels is the only one being the most active one out there. Also, I'm not talking about the usual impersonator and baby rage reports but the ones that are involved in sharking and scamming people. Mods tag them as #pending but NEVER check them. It's been months and still going on.

It's impossible to add such impersonator and sharking reports on a users profile anyway as there are many reports open on them but instead I have a solution that if we could let the mods add something like Beware of this user as we've received reports of him impersonating others for the mean time on their profiles until they gather evidence from the users. Many of the people don't follow up with their reports and they don't even know the formats so by adding this to the impersonators/scammers profile this could really help the other users that check profiles in the mean time. Maybe, they will even avoid such users to trade. It's a win-win for both of us if you add such an amazing feature.

To name a few reports from inexperienced users:

#1 https://backpack.tf/issue/6144c93f2c0490349c311cf1

#2 https://backpack.tf/issue/6137c30988b0e05764122a5d

#3 https://backpack.tf/issue/6147a67ee06c2270c10405ef

#4 https://backpack.tf/issue/61497f9abd73a656884a21a1

#5 https://backpack.tf/issue/614772d215944913f71ca3c7

By the time these reports are checked, these scammers will keep adding more people and scam them and thus making more and more reports for the mods to deal with as well. Not many people know a proper format and this results in the delay of any report as seen above. There are indeed many similar reports here everyday - https://backpack.tf/issues

In addition, a few reports that are taking months:

#1 for 8+ months - https://backpack.tf/issue/600ca3959214e63ad239a6ee

#2 for 7+ months - https://backpack.tf/issue/604938d4a28ada6a8e332eae

#3 for 4+ months - https://backpack.tf/issue/609d4cda0d315f0d0967e9a3

Yet, they continue to trade freely with other people who don't even know that the users they are trading have a pending report and being the primary target here. By adding this option on the users profile here - https://prnt.sc/1tfhqox it could be really useful to others and avoid them to trade. Of course, not many check profiles but it's still useful rather than not having it since we have our own report forums lying there for nothing. Let's make use of it on our profiles.

A simple suggestion like this makes trading much easier. Also, If you like this concept please support on this thread so it can move forward, thanks.

Edited to make it a bit more understandable.

• Strife Hale changed the title to Add pending report(s) on users backpack profile

This would be a huge step foward for newcomers not familiar with how or where to find a person's reputation! Current reports on backpack are a start but at the same time inadequate.

I'm on board, please make this a thing

4 hours ago, Strife Hale said:

Can you please add pending reports shown on the users profile you visit? It's similar to the Steamrep caution when you visit a users backpack profile.

I would like you to add something like Caution: This user has 1 or more pending reports on the forums. Also, don't forget to add a link to that pending report by hyperlinking the word forum. Mods can do this by editing on that users profile and it's not that hard to add this.

Why this now if you ask? Well, I can't blame anyone else here except the backpack mods. They are too lazy to check big reports and don't even hire more active people. I can't stress this enough cause I only see Pixels and Smokey checking issues. Pixels is the only one being the most active one out there. Also, I'm not talking about the usual impersonator and baby rage reports but the ones that are involved in sharking and scamming people. It's impossible to add such impersonator and sharking reports on a users profile anyway as there are many open reports on them. Mods tag them as #pending but NEVER check them. It's been months and still going on.

A few examples:

#1 for 8+ months - https://backpack.tf/issue/600ca3959214e63ad239a6ee

#2 for 7+ months - https://backpack.tf/issue/604938d4a28ada6a8e332eae

#3 for 4+ months - https://backpack.tf/issue/609d4cda0d315f0d0967e9a3

Yet, they continue to trade freely with other people who don't even know that they have a pending report and they are being the primary target here. By adding this option on the users profile here - https://prnt.sc/1tfhqox it could be really useful to others and avoid them to trade. Of course, not many check profiles but it's still useful rather than not having it.

A simple suggestion like this makes trading easier. Also, If you like this concept please support on this thread so it can move forward, thanks.

Could easily see this implemented in the future. If that's not possible, there should at least have an easy way to check issues without needing to manually copy and paste the ID64 of a profile or using a script.

4 hours ago, awsommv said:

Abstract 2021?

Idk what you mean but if your here for the memes, you'll be disappointed. I will ignore you for now.

2 hours ago, zelias said:

Good idea, but I doubt it will ever get implemented

Well, if this promises to show enough results it will make it cause no one will add something that doesn't make any sense in the first place but of course we need some support too. This is just not for me alone.

1 hour ago, CatLuck said:

I would like to see that in future x)

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Omnom/Omni said:

This would be a huge step foward for newcomers not familiar with how or where to find a person's reputation! Current reports on backpack are a start but at the same time inadequate.

I'm on board, please make this a thing

I've seen many people where they don't even follow up with their reports on the issues section after being scammed so by adding some caution they could at least avoid trading with them and be safe.

5 minutes ago, Abstract said:

there should at least have an easy way to check issues without needing to manually copy and paste the ID64 of a profile or using a script

💯 💯 💯 

2 minutes ago, Strife Hale said:

Idk what you mean but if your here for the memes, you'll be disappointed. I will ignore you for now.

That is a response from awsommv 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Strife Hale said:

I've seen many people where they don't even follow up with their reports on the issues section after being scammed so by adding some caution they could at least avoid trading with them and be safe.

Can not agree with this enough. Gathering proof and compiling it into a report is extremely hard for newbies, which is why I used to deal with getting proof from them (this always took hours due to them being so inexperienced) and reporting for them. By doing so, I saved an enormous amount of report mod's time (as I was literally doing their work for them, I was practically an unofficial independent report mod) and when additional proof was needed, they'd ask me and id simply get the additional proof from the newbie who got scammed. I highly doubt mods would spend hours to explain someone how to take screenshots etc. etc. etc., but I might be wrong there, who knows how dedicated they actually are. Anyway, when I did that, eventually I was told off, "please don't report for someone who got scammed, let them report themselves", which isn't exactly helpful in making sure the culprit gets what they deserve, precisely because of the point you're making in the quote above.

3 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

when additional proof was needed, they'd ask me and id simply get the additional proof from the newbie who got scammed

Also note that they most likely don't use bp.tf daily, which people like I do, we get a request for additional proof, we act upon it in a timely manner

26 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Can not agree with this enough. Gathering proof and compiling it into a report is extremely hard for newbies, which is why I used to deal with getting proof from them (this always took hours due to them being so inexperienced) and reporting for them. By doing so, I saved an enormous amount of report mod's time (as I was literally doing their work for them, I was practically an unofficial independent report mod) and when additional proof was needed, they'd ask me and id simply get the additional proof from the newbie who got scammed. I highly doubt mods would spend hours to explain someone how to take screenshots etc. etc. etc., but I might be wrong there, who knows how dedicated they actually are. Anyway, when I did that, eventually I was told off, "please don't report for someone who got scammed, let them report themselves", which isn't exactly helpful in making sure the culprit gets what they deserve, precisely because of the point you're making in the quote above.

Inu once said me when I reported on bazaar that he never received a complete report and he'd literally work his ass off and keep contact with them about the formats and evidence until they completely stop responding to him. Backpack is different and has a larger player base. I can't imagine how hard it is for the mods here. Well, yes I'd also receive we need victims to come forward and speak themselves and there was nothing else I could do but just wait for them to come forward.

22 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Also note that they most likely don't use bp.tf daily, which people like I do, we get a request for additional proof, we act upon it in a timely manner

This also delays their own reports and thus letting the scammers do more of their thing in the mean time. It's not completely avoidable but at least to some extent it can be avoided I'd say.

I've had a report go on for almost two months with constant discussion, I had to harass the mods to actually check over it where they close it instantly (curious).
https://backpack.tf/issue/612d936f7bf82f31cd5a1a51
https://backpack.tf/issue/6136d6ffc6876f6419239c46
Here's one of an alt account for a known/banned scammer.

Admins on backpack are pretty garbage when it comes to investigating shit in general.
Backpack's ruling is pretty absurd, they don't count profiles with -rep of phishing etc as a valid reason to ban them or mark them as known scammers, this even extends to traders who frequently trade with scammers or later alt accounts.
https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561199028415382

Here's a profile with -11 rep for impersonation, yet this person is not banned? Like, what are these janitors doing, sitting on their asses all day. They took the job, they should be able to fufill that job. If they can't give the position to someone else.

9 minutes ago, Akiha said:

Here's a profile with -11 rep for impersonation, yet this person is not banned? Like, what are these janitors doing, sitting on their asses all day. They took the job, they should be able to fufill that job. If they can't give the position to someone else.

bp.tf's mods work force is bad, but not this bad. Go check every single one of those -reps and tell me if any of em have concrete proof attached, that proves the guy is an impersonator? "Innocent until proven guilty" has a point, if accusations with not a single piece of evidence would be equivalent to proof, this world would not work. Now, in my opinion, -reps are left on scammers bp.tf profiles by people who are too lazy to go through the trouble of providing proof or are too inexperienced for it, which is why you rarely see any proof whatsoever attached to such -reps.

Edit: forgot the biggest point, bp.tf mods do not get notified of rep statuses posted, if they did, they'd be getting an inhuman amount of notifications every single day. So unless a - or +trust is reported, bp.tf mods do not see it, ever. -reps do not do jack shit to get a scammer banned, actual reports do.

22 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

bp.tf's mods work force is bad, but not this bad. Go check every single one of those -reps and tell me if any of em have concrete proof attached, that proves the guy is an impersonator? "Innocent until proven guilty" has a point, if accusations with not a single piece of evidence would be equivalent to proof, this world would not work. Now, in my opinion, -reps are left on scammers bp.tf profiles by people who are too lazy to go through the trouble of providing proof or are too inexperienced for it, which is why you rarely see any proof whatsoever attached to such -reps.

Edit: forgot the biggest point, bp.tf mods do not get notified of rep statuses posted, if they did, they'd be getting an inhuman amount of notifications every single day. So unless a - or +trust is reported, bp.tf mods do not see it, ever. -reps do not do jack shit to get a scammer banned, actual reports do.

Yeah basically this. At what point do mods actually mark someone has having caution for being under a serious investigation. As the case goes, this is to help a lot of noobs, but noobs are the same people who are reporting genuine profiles that were impersonated and could leave -reps on them as well.

31 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Actually the user I have linked has been used in reports before as an alt account for scammers, if you bothered to read you can even see that the account has proof of them being a scammer if you look at screenshots made.

It is this bad, I have reported alt/scam accounts with evidence before and they have still not been responded to a month+ of going on a times. 

Users who are inexperienced are not to blame, often they're the victim or do not know what to do in the first place.

5 hours ago, LSO said:

Yeah basically this. At what point do mods actually mark someone has having caution for being under a serious investigation. As the case goes, this is to help a lot of noobs, but noobs are the same people who are reporting genuine profiles that were impersonated and could leave -reps on them as well.

To reiterate the original suggestion, the idea here is that any user reports tagged "#pending" in issues should be accessible and reflected on the accused's profile header. #pending reports usually involve sharking from what I understand, and remain ongoing for more evidence to be gathered while they're deliberated, sometimes over months.

It would be great if the #pending tag were used in combination with this feature for accused scammers, impersonators when the right profile is being accused. For sharkers primarily, this could help any vulnerable trader gauge their intentions where site reputation may otherwise show them to be perfectly trustworthy.

15 hours ago, LSO said:

I've edited the post to make it a bit more understandable about the caution thing but coming to your second point about the -reps this is pretty common and there's nothing we can do about it as they are mostly inexperienced users. Besides, their -reps are immediately removed when the real users send a report to the mods from their profile and when it comes to forums, report mods or someone who is checking there usually let them know that you are reporting a real user but not the impersonator and provide the links if possible. This isn't something you need to worry about.

Basically, what @Brown said below is what we are looking for right now as it can be useful until the reports are being investigated as they take time from inexperienced people and other big reports like the ones I've shown above. In the mean time, we can at least make use of the caution thing to decide if we could trade with that user.

9 hours ago, Brown said:

To reiterate the original suggestion, the idea here is that any user reports tagged "#pending" in issues should be accessible and reflected on the accused's profile header. #pending reports usually involve sharking from what I understand, and remain ongoing for more evidence to be gathered while they're deliberated, sometimes over months.

It would be great if the #pending tag were used in combination with this feature for accused scammers, impersonators when the right profile is being accused. For sharkers primarily, this could help any vulnerable trader gauge their intentions where site reputation may otherwise show them to be perfectly trustworthy.

20 hours ago, Akiha said:

Actually the user I have linked has been used in reports before as an alt account for scammers, if you bothered to read you can even see that the account has proof of them being a scammer if you look at screenshots made.

Ok but the -reps have no proof

20 hours ago, Akiha said:

Users who are inexperienced are not to blame, often they're the victim or do not know what to do in the first place.

Yes, thats what the suggestion OP made is for

7 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Ok but the -reps have no proof

Yes, thats what the suggestion OP made is for

Yeah could you imagine if we started a #pending tag for every report the noobs do? The top 200 backpacks would forever have #pending tags lmao.

Also, and this is my experience from other games where people get scammed, no matter how much you try prevent it noobs will be noobs and get scammed in the dumbest ways possible. #pending tags would not stop this.

9 hours ago, LSO said:

Yeah could you imagine if we started a #pending tag for every report the noobs do? The top 200 backpacks would forever have #pending tags lmao.

Also, and this is my experience from other games where people get scammed, no matter how much you try prevent it noobs will be noobs and get scammed in the dumbest ways possible. #pending tags would not stop this.

From your posts I see you've not read this suggestion properly. #pending tag is mostly used for scammers and sharkers that needs some evidence to be gathered and it takes a long time just because of these inexperienced users or needs more evidence to prove that they're actually doing this for a long time. Besides, most of them even ignore their own report wasting both of their and mods time. Until then, we could use a caution sign on their profile. Impersonator reports here don't need to be tagged as #pending as they are closed quick and there is no way to stop them anyway so that is why this suggestion is made for. To note, I suggested to make use of a caution sign if someone has a report on a impersonator so that the other users can avoid trading them.

18 hours ago, LSO said:

The best way I can think of preventing this would be to educate newbies on how to collect genuine data for a report and implementing some sort of way to mark people without damaging their reputation until proven guilty. People come to the forums so often to ask "am I being scammed????!!!???!?" only to be told 'yes' or 'no' by people who have knowledge and resources but never get to the root of the problem: lack of knowledge and resources.

Giving an uninformed community tools to combat users whom will never stop trying to manipulate people is better for everyone. Free and basic information like how to screenshot, don't click random links, etc., is essential to trading as you always run the risk of manipulation or deception. Newbies as single individuals do not have sufficient power to raise awareness about them, but mods and admins do. It's eliminating wasted time and effort on the mod's/admin's end by training people how to complete the reports accurately themselves

It's as simple as this: Have a dedicated and well-established place for reports—SR for example—and add simplistic steps and guides to identifying scamming (sharking is scummy but not bannable apparently) . These resources can be accessed quickly at any time for reference. Once they've learned these tools they can adequately fill out a report (proof REQUIRED or no report can be completed; prior convictions remain ofc). Someone reviews the report for double legitimacy purposes and things get done. 

ACCESS TO KNOWLEDGE IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ANYTHING. Practically anyone who has been scammed wishes they could stop the person who did it. If it's inevitable, we should have counter measures!

• Strife Hale locked this topic

Archived