Should Bots be punished for scammed items.

LuckyGator

Recently a friend of mine was phished having all his items stolen, this isn't the first time but I've seen others have something similar.
Often players get banned for trading with "known scammers" however shouldnt a system be put in place where bots should have a similar punishment?

This is an open thread discussion mostly- I feel like it's concerning that a scammer and a person who owns a bot can get items sold at a quicksell price and both make out equally profiting.

fairly sure (please correct me if i'm wrong) that bots have measures to decline trades from marked people on bp/steamrep

even if these measures were in place, they would not matter as someone could quickly trade it to an unmarked burner alt and THEN sell it to the bots

so as long as scammers have enough burner alts, they'd still be able to sell them on.

if i'm wrong about those measures then all of this info is redundant,

TL;DR even if there were measures against marked users it would make 0 difference

You could say the same for any cash site with the ability to make buy orders, when Marketplace was still widespread, people who (for example) make a 50$ buy order on an unusual and they later got sold an unusual that is scammed from someone else, they won't get into any trouble since 1) Is out of their control, they obviously won't know if a scammer who has the exact unusual will suddenly dump to them and 2) It would be unfair to ban someone for accidentally buying scammed items, which ties to point 1. 

There are some cases of someone getting banned due the bot bought from a scammer, but that was an exceptional case since there are other evidence backing it up (chat, intentions, item in existence etc). 

In my opinion, as a bot owner myself, it is really out of my control who sells items to my bot unless I manually add every single scammer and their alts to the blocklist. 

TL;DR Nah

The punishment for a bot owner getting scammed goods needs to be that they have to refund the items to the scam victim.
People will have their scripts update in a day.

1 hour ago, Spyromancer said:

The punishment for a bot owner getting scammed goods needs to be that they have to refund the items to the scam victim.
People will have their scripts update in a day.

My conscience tells me to return them back their stolen items, however I can only do that if they pay the price I bought it for AND they express interest to having it back. No way any trader is willing to lose money to make up for one's mistake. 

that's my opinion though and highly depends on person, maybe if someone is generous enough to say return a bonzo hat they got for buy orders for 400 keys, then please do inform me.

I get things from buy orders on S.C.M.

If the item is less than $10 and the original owner tracks me down, I usually just give it to them.

More than that, they would need to reimburse what I paid at least.

Also, I assume if I get a really dirty item from a S.C.M. buy order, then I will just sell it on S.C.M. too.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:49 PM, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

My conscience tells me to return them back their stolen items, however I can only do that if they pay the price I bought it for AND they express interest to having it back. No way any trader is willing to lose money to make up for one's mistake. 

that's my opinion though and highly depends on person, maybe if someone is generous enough to say return a bonzo hat they got for buy orders for 400 keys, then please do inform me.

This specific example just screams that you are admitting to being a fence.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:49 PM, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

A mate of mine got scammed/hacked, I tracked all his items. Each person I went to was extremely rude/a dick, I even offered to equally buy his items back for the price he paid (300) except he wanted 800 because it happened to be a knifestorm unusual. My friend also lost his wrench to a bot, I tried talking to the bot owner about this and once more, pretty bad.

Archived