A question about the interaction of 2 simultaneous sheens.

Baruch Iriah

Basically, my question is:

If, for example,

I had a deadly daffodil spec ks dead ringer (from a glitched kit) and a spec ks team shine kunai and had them up at the same time, what would happen?

Would one sheen override the other? If so, how does the game decide on that?

Would they play one after another? Would they switch by any point, and how much would they be apart of each other etc.?

Would they merge in a glitchy mishmash of both?

etc... etc... etc....

What would actually happen?

Any insight on this is appreciated.

If the sheen even shows on the dead ringer, I'm pretty sure they would play off one another, since they are separate weapons. Basically one sheen on the dead ringer, and another on the kunai. 

15 minutes ago, man with the bird said:

If the sheen even shows on the dead ringer, I'm pretty sure they would play off one another, since they are separate weapons. Basically one sheen on the dead ringer, and another on the kunai. 

The sheen does show on the dr. Hopefully someone comes along and we find out.

Killstreakers do not interact. 

It is based on active weapon. If you have a pro ks shield and pro ks eyelander, the shield effect only shows if you pull out a non pro ks grenade launcher.

11 minutes ago, Master of the Hellish Yard said:

Killstreakers do not interact. 

It is based on active weapon. If you have a pro ks shield and pro ks eyelander, the shield effect only shows if you pull out a non pro ks grenade launcher.

So glitched sheen weapons follow the same rules as normal weapons as far as interaction goes?

In that case, if I had all spec ks weapons, theoretically I shouldn't be able to see the dead ringer's own sheen, right?

You will still see weapon sheens. If you have a pro ks shield and eyelander you'll see the sheens for both.

2 minutes ago, Master of the Hellish Yard said:

You will still see weapon sheens. If you have a pro ks shield and eyelander you'll see the sheens for both.

Well that is what I was asking about, since the weapon sheens of the weapons you're holding out alongside the dead ringer also glide across the normal dead ringer, what would happen if the dead ringer also had its own sheen?

Just now, Master of the Hellish Yard said:

Each weapon gets it's own sheen lol

How would that work if they're active at the same time and in different colors?

4 minutes ago, Brown said:

cc01aa9b24efdb33cea2315e5f0cf432.png

There is a reason I asked specifically about the dead ringer, since the sheen of the weapon you're holding alongside also normally transfers to the watch. (I'm not sure if the same happens on the shields), so if we had 2 sheen sources with different sheens active at the same time, what would happen?

58 minutes ago, Baruch Iriah said:

There is a reason I asked specifically about the dead ringer, since the sheen of the weapon you're holding alongside also normally transfers to the watch. (I'm not sure if the same happens on the shields), so if we had 2 sheen sources with different sheens active at the same time, what would happen?

They're wrong. Let me look for a screenshot of the one I used to have real quick, be right back.

unknown.png

It doesnt show the weapon on the right here, but it was a pro ks collector's ambassador with the sheen violet, and the dead ringer was a strange specialized killstreak one with daffodil. Once pulling out the DR, it sheened violet instead of daffodil.

16 hours ago, rndmchrs said:

unknown.png

It doesnt show the weapon on the right here, but it was a pro ks collector's ambassador with the sheen violet, and the dead ringer was a strange specialized killstreak one with daffodil. Once pulling out the DR, it sheened violet instead of daffodil.

Thank you, what happened if you pulled out just the dr tho? It should work in theory but a guy I know tested that and for some reason it didn't show the sheen.

14 minutes ago, Baruch Iriah said:

Thank you, what happened if you pulled out just the dr tho? It should work in theory but a guy I know tested that and for some reason it didn't show the sheen.

You cant pull out the dead ringer alone, can you? Pretty sure it doesn't show in the weapon bar. 

1 minute ago, rndmchrs said:

You cant pull out the dead ringer alone, can you? Pretty sure it doesn't show in the weapon bar. 

I mean having it out alongside a non ks weapon.

4 hours ago, Baruch Iriah said:

I mean having it out alongside a non ks weapon.

I’m guessing that the dead ringer alone would show the sheen, from reading the information above. Since the other weapon is non ks, it wouldn’t interfere with the dead ringer.

5 minutes ago, ChrisPy Bacon said:

I’m guessing that the dead ringer alone would show the sheen, from reading the information above. Since the other weapon is non ks, it wouldn’t interfere with the dead ringer.

That is in theory true as it has sheen support coded in, but a friend that I know tested it and no sheen showed up. This might change how we look at glitched ks weapons as up untill now the method of checking (by going through the file's code in vtf edit) gave 100% consistent results. This might have something to do with the dead ringer having no world model. I purely doubt it's limited to only the deadly daffodil sheen (the one she used), but that is also a possibility.

For everyone referring to the Demoman shields, you're forgetting that the DR has always had the sheen of your other weapon if you had a revolver or knife out with a Spec/Pro KS kit out. It's an old glitch/effect due to the Dead Ringer only ever showing up in 1st person, never in 3rd. And yes, your weapon will generally override the sheen of the Dead Ringer.

Archived