Saw I-VII Marathon (Finally)

Bomsusik

Yesterday after years of delay I finished in a watching marathon the whole Saw series.

The first three were great and mind blowing (pun totally intended,) and from Saw 4 and onward the movies started deteriorating because of the director team change, although not so bad. But Saw 3D/VII was unforgivably disgusting, in a bad way.

2 minutes ago, Forgivable said:

Its quite disturbing to me that some people enjoy watching torture movies.

Not my kind of spooky stuff 👻

To be fair, it was never intended to be a torture/gore movie, it was more of a detective/mystery... till they started milking it

It is a shame they call these movies horror. At that point I got more enjoyment out of YouTube videos where they explained how to escape the traps.

1 minute ago, Beef said:

At that point I got more enjoyment out of YouTube videos where they explained how to escape the traps

^^^ havent seen a single saw movie bc i just cant watch em. But those yt vids are the mvp lol 

They haven't aged too well for me, could be recency bias as personally movies like Midsommar and Hereditary raised the bar for horror movies nowadays. The Saw movies were originally interesting for its overarching main story involving Kramer himself and the murder mystery aspect it had, with the traps serving as a secondary feature, then they kind of turned into popcorn flicks and sort of reversed the roles, where the murder mystery is more of a substitute for the main attraction, which are the gory trap designs and ways people can die. 

12 hours ago, Beef said:

It is a shame they call these movies horror. At that point I got more enjoyment out of YouTube videos where they explained how to escape the traps.

It's simply gore and mystery rather than horror, because the only horror there is, are the timed cliché jump scares.

13 hours ago, Forgivable said:

Its quite disturbing to me that some people enjoy watching torture movies.

Not my kind of spooky stuff 👻

I personally cringed throughout the movies, as I find it hard watching torturous, slow gore and breaking bones. (And the stress-induced stupidity of the tested subjects.)

5 hours ago, AFFIRMATIVE said:

They haven't aged too well for me, could be recency bias as personally movies like Midsommar and Hereditary raised the bar for horror movies nowadays. The Saw movies were originally interesting for its overarching main story involving Kramer himself and the murder mystery aspect it had, with the traps serving as a secondary feature, then they kind of turned into popcorn flicks and sort of reversed the roles, where the murder mystery is more of a substitute for the main attraction, which are the gory trap designs and ways people can die. 

In that case the first three are the only ones worth being called murder mystery, because they are the only ones that seemed well thought through with mind-blowing plot twists.

Of course, over time the movies industry came up with more unique and higher quality horror and gore movies, and still manage to release shitty ones like Ouija (2014)

Archived