Hypothetically, if a class was announced to be removed, how would the economy react in *best case scenario*

Milkmeme

This is just a topic that sparked my interest when thinking about it. What if Valve announced the removal of Pyro but says they would award item compensations in some form for removing this class, how could they do it right to the best degree possible? And how harshly would the economy react even with this best solution possible?

Like, I'm talking unrealistic (and likely futile) solutions like awarding a key or something for each Pyro item that isn't just a scrap weapon but without informing people before the announcement, because people would stockpile on cheap pyro items. Ideally the opposite effect would be imposed where people won't buy and can't sell pyro items cause no one would buy. This would really mess with the key price and it's a pretty crappy example of what they could do, but that's why I'm asking what you guys think the best idea for them in such a hypothetical situation would be.

1 hour ago, Milkmeme said:

This is just a topic that sparked my interest when thinking about it. What if Valve announced the removal of Pyro but says they would award item compensations in some form for removing this class, how could they do it right to the best degree possible? And how harshly would the economy react even with this best solution possible?

Like, I'm talking unrealistic (and likely futile) solutions like awarding a key or something for each Pyro item that isn't just a scrap weapon but without informing people before the announcement, because people would stockpile on cheap pyro items. Ideally the opposite effect would be imposed where people won't buy and can't sell pyro items cause no one would buy. This would really mess with the key price and it's a pretty crappy example of what they could do, but that's why I'm asking what you guys think the best idea for them in such a hypothetical situation would be.

would never happen. whats the point of discussing it :/

4 hours ago, loli (hiding) said:

LOL, what award item compensations will we get for having a main aspect of the game removed

Think in theory for a second will you? This obviously will never add up to something that Valve will do.

But it's just a thought, yeah? I'm just wondering that if such a thing happens, what would Valve have to do to make it the least destructive they could?

1 hour ago, TheVirtualEconomist said:

Reminds me of this classic (See 3:15)

Yeah I had that in mind when writing this lol. Also I watched your TED Talk the other day, super entertaining and enlightening :D

People's backpacks will then be suddenly filled with completely worthless removed class's stuff, setting the price of removed class's stuff plummeting down as traders try to sell their hats fast as possible before everyone realises they are worthless.

This is so impossible that you can’t even make a hypothetical forecast. It would be such a dick punch to the community that a lot of people would quit due to the stupidity of valve. 

if you’re looking for a “best case scenario” then I would say they would remove the pyro class, and then get sued by everyone that ever spent money on an item because no where does it state that this was in the realm of possibility. Emotional damage will only make the lawsuits worse.

In terms of game design, completely removing a core part of a game is just lazy and bad for the gaming environment in general. Since it will show that dev team is just lazy or have no idea what they doing, so if they decided to just remove it sends a bad message to the community. Even if they remove pyro, then people will be worried cus they (dev team) decide to remove a class instead of reworking or changing a class's stats and weapons will not go well with the community (and the pyro players ofc). So no, unless Valve likes to fuck up their own company and drive away investors, I don't see why they would remove a class.

Archived