is it possible to be banned for trading with scammers for one item off steam community market

rainstormynights

all in the title, for context yesterday i bought a factory new spirit of halloween tomislav off the steam community market and i was going to wait until i could see the item history to apply a specialized killstreak kit to it but my backpack hadnt updated in 13 days so i was just like whatever its probably fine, but it finally did today and my worst fears came true when it showed its last owner is a suspected scammer fence/alt... i know ive seen people who are banned for trading with scammers, could this happen to me now, like, is there anything i have to do now, i dont know what to do since i can just get rid of it i already spec killstreakified it, im really worried now though, does anyone know anything about this situation

The scammer you're referring to is not banned on SR, and the item is also not worth ~15 keys or more, so you wont be banned for a one off trade as per the new rules for background checks here https://forums.backpack.tf/topic/70966-new-rules-for-background-checks/

Besides that, no, unless it is certain you knew exactly who you were buying from on SCM (and that user is SR marked), you won't be banned.

thank you for the info, i feel less worried now... i usually avoid buying stuff off the community market for this exact reason, but its really difficult to find skins that arent overpriced if found even at all not on the community market... i get not showing you who is selling an item so you cant bug them to lower the price or something but come on steam, allow some sort of background check sheesh

regardless, thank you both

8 hours ago, corvusdae said:

all in the title, for context yesterday i bought a factory new spirit of halloween tomislav off the steam community market and i was going to wait until i could see the item history to apply a specialized killstreak kit to it but my backpack hadnt updated in 13 days so i was just like whatever its probably fine, but it finally did today and my worst fears came true when it showed its last owner is a suspected scammer fence/alt... i know ive seen people who are banned for trading with scammers, could this happen to me now, like, is there anything i have to do now, i dont know what to do since i can just get rid of it i already spec killstreakified it, im really worried now though, does anyone know anything about this situation

It is banable, but if you do it unknowingly and only once it's just a warning. However if you know that you're trading with a scammer or trade 3 times then it's a perma ban. As others said, this user isn't marked on Steamrep so everything should be fine. As others said, this was SCM and you can't see the seller's username till the buy is successful, so here you clearly didn't know

(NOTE: what I said here is about backpack.tf ban)

Archived