Why are taunts becoming more and more expensive?

9o6o

Taunts like the Schadenfreude, Conga, Dueling Banjo, Shred Alert and many others are consistently over 1.5 keys now, and are being bought & sold for like 30% above their current bp.tf price. Why is this happening and should I hold on to my taunts before turning them to pure?

its better than fortnite

since you still got some taunts,you can hold em off awhile more.perhaps people just want to buy taunts via trading and not via the in game mann co store by valve

Two reasons:

-Higher demand, the cheaper ones are being sold then the next lot of sellers list theirs significantly higher

-Because keys are now worth less, items worth ~48-49 keys are now gonna be worth a key + 

Man, it's possible, but I'm pretty sure someone bulk buying crap for Halloween would focus more on Halloween stuff, right? or is it a thing to bulk sell Taunts on Halloween too?

Just now, Strange said:

Because keys are now worth less, items worth ~48-49 keys are now gonna be worth a key

I don't think that's a reason, taunts were getting up in price before keys dropped in price

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Man, it's possible, but I'm pretty sure someone bulk buying crap for Halloween would focus more on Halloween stuff, right? or is it a thing to bulk sell Taunts on Halloween too?

You buy the base taunt and unusualifier now. Then during the event you use the unusualifier, leading to taunt with limited Halloween effect.

58 minutes ago, Vebster said:

I don't think that's a reason, taunts were getting up in price before keys dropped in price

Yeah, that was already happening before the new key price, ik

23 minutes ago, Flamadin said:

You buy the base taunt and unusualifier now. Then during the event you use the unusualifier, leading to taunt with limited Halloween effect.

Oh wait, forgot about those, my bad

3 hours ago, Flamadin said:

Or alternatively you just sell the unusualifiers and taunts during hween because everyone and their mother unboxes and applies during scream fortress, and the effects as of late have been doodoo for taunts.

1 hour ago, SparkyYT said:

Or alternatively you just sell the unusualifiers and taunts during hween because everyone and their mother unboxes and applies during scream fortress, and the effects as of late have been doodoo for taunts.

Do you mean the generally attainable effects or the event effects? Because if you're talking event effects I'd say a large majority would argue, the arcana-esque effects were great. The mists/void weren't so great, but the aurora effects, magical spirits etc were great, they're super popular.

12 minutes ago, RockSolidWood said:

Do you mean the generally attainable effects or the event effects? Because if you're talking event effects I'd say a large majority would argue, the arcana-esque effects were great. The mists/void weren't so great, but the aurora effects, magical spirits etc were great, they're super popular.

I mean the event effects. Hween last year was a massive dud for taunt effects. Winter was good but this isn't winter ofc. If they add some good taunt effects and don't fuck up the unbox rates then for sure, apply. Just know that that in itself is a gamble due to the potential of the effects to be great or shit.

13 hours ago, SparkyYT said:

I mean the event effects. Hween last year was a massive dud for taunt effects. Winter was good but this isn't winter ofc. If they add some good taunt effects and don't fuck up the unbox rates then for sure, apply. Just know that that in itself is a gamble due to the potential of the effects to be great or shit.

1) Nah, the arcana effects + the cloud effects are sick

2) They didn't 'fuck up the unbox rates' but no, they didn't quite make each effect an equal unbox - they made each family of effects an equal unbox. So in short, you had an equal chance of getting Nether Void/Static Mist as you did getting ANY cloud effect or ANY arcana effect. The reason there's triple as many (roughly) of static mist and nether void compared to any one other effect is simply because there was only one effect in those two effect families.

3) Buying the regular taunts themselves isn't really that much of a gamble - people are going to unbox unusualifiers and will want to use them. They will require a taunt to unusualify. Buying the unusualifiers while there cheap is more of a gamble but I'd say if you got them cheap you'd still have little trouble making a profit off them.

On 8/17/2020 at 12:51 PM, Alecto said:

1) Nah, the arcana effects + the cloud effects are sick

2) They didn't 'fuck up the unbox rates' but no, they didn't quite make each effect an equal unbox - they made each family of effects an equal unbox. So in short, you had an equal chance of getting Nether Void/Static Mist as you did getting ANY cloud effect or ANY arcana effect. The reason there's triple as many (roughly) of static mist and nether void compared to any one other effect is simply because there was only one effect in those two effect families.

3) Buying the regular taunts themselves isn't really that much of a gamble - people are going to unbox unusualifiers and will want to use them. They will require a taunt to unusualify. Buying the unusualifiers while there cheap is more of a gamble but I'd say if you got them cheap you'd still have little trouble making a profit off them.

1) Arcana effects are indeed good and I'll give credit on that, but the cloud effects are varied in opinions and I think they look like shit. They're not worth so much either.

2) This is just wrong when you only have 2 effects in a family, one is easier to unbox than the other and displacing values. We saw this in 2019 with Snowfallen/Snowblinded with the latter being more common.

3) Buying taunts right now is an awful decision as they're all spiking in price. Never buy high. Unusualifiers sell like hotcakes on marketplace, which is why this year will be the last chance to do it unless you want to use the SCM or a different TF2 payment site.

Archived