Jump to content

Unusual skins shouldn't count for the ticket feature/Incentive for Rare non-Unusuals in ticket feature


HarryG

Recommended Posts

https://backpack.tf/award-tickets

 

Specifically Unusual weapon skins suggestions based on one sale in marketplace that take 2 seconds to make. Don't like the idea that *ahem* WHOMEVER might be doing these suggestions is being told that each suggestion is a contribution 5x more valuable to the site than say, a key suggestion.


Even if they didn't count as unusual I still don't think they should count at all personally but I think the above is the most important part of the point I'm making as I could at least understand why people would want them to count for one ticket each

 

 

Also as a side note don't like how outdated rare non-Unusuals like Collector's and rare Genuines will become due to the literal removal of (what little) incentive there was to suggest them. Collector's weapons will be affected to a lesser extent based on the fact that they don't have as many sales but something like a HOUWAR or Genuine Robo-Sandvich has the potential to become very outdated because of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When was this feature added? And I agree from your standpoint, they should make tickets you can get increase gradually based on effort and how clean it looks. From 1 to maybe 10.

 

But this feature will need mods to put more effort into reading it so I am not sure if it would be implemented.

 

Is my opinion, don't shout at me if I get something wrong :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

When was this feature added? And I agree from your standpoint, they should make tickets you can get increase gradually based on effort and how clean it looks. From 1 to maybe 10.

 

But this feature will need mods to put more effort into reading it so I am not sure if it would be implemented.

 

Is my opinion, don't shout at me if I get something wrong :(

I like the sentiment behind this but Idk how feasible it is.

 

Does anyone have any thoughts about the aspect of the post regarding rare Non-Unusuals? I know I didn't really reflect that in my original post as strongly but I actually am starting to think that's a bigger issue with the ticket feature itself. LMK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HarryG said:

Specifically Unusual weapon skins suggestions based on one sale in marketplace that take 2 seconds to make.

Okay, please spend 60 seconds to make 30 suggestions and receive a month of premium. That already is 30 more suggested unusual weps that may not have been suggested if there had been no incentive. If the suggestor wants to maintain their premium, they'll need to continue updating 30 unusuals every month. Sure some people could just stop at 30, but others will continue suggesting beyond that like before.

 

Is this system perfect? Probably not. But does it provide an additional incentive for suggestors to update items? Yes, I believe it does.

 

My point here is that every suggestion helps. I fully believe that this change will bring back older suggestors as well as encourage newer suggestors to continue suggesting. 

 

3 hours ago, HarryG said:

Don't like the idea that *ahem* WHOMEVER might be doing these suggestions is being told that each suggestion is a contribution 5x more valuable to the site than say, a key suggestion.

 

3 hours ago, HarryG said:

Collector's weapons will be affected to a lesser extent based on the fact that they don't have as many sales but something like a HOUWAR or Genuine Robo-Sandvich has the potential to become very outdated because of this.

The reason to make suggestions is still the exact same as before - suggestors want to help the community by keeping the pricelist accurate. This premium is an additional reward on top of that for active suggestors. I agree that this system may treat non-unusuals that require extra work a little unfairly, but I don't think this will have a negative effect on how often they are updated. People used to update items without this incentive, they still will with an incentive as well. However, a good percentage of non-unusuals are fairly easy to update, so I think it's fair to say that a 5x reward for an average unusual suggestion compared to an average non-unusual is reasonable.

 

3 hours ago, HarryG said:

Even if they didn't count as unusual I still don't think they should count at all personally but I think the above is the most important part of the point I'm making as I could at least understand why people would want them to count for one ticket each

 

In the end, more items will get updated each month that would not have been suggested otherwise. If this change motivates even just 5 people, that could be well over 150 extra unusual suggestions in a month. If they're a bunch of one sale suggestions, that's okay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sfpt said:

i sorta agree that unu weps should be 1 ticket each, tbh normal unu should be 3 tickets each not 5

I think normal unusuals at 5 is fairer to newer suggestors. They'll need 30 accepted unusual suggestions to get a month of premium, which averages out to 1 per day. 50 requires a bit more dedication that I think would be too high to require to receive free premium. 

 

Of course, this is brand new and we can see what the effect ends up being and make changes as necessary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The system is fine. Some unusual suggestions will be low-effort, but a lot of them require quite a lot of effort in comparison to something like a craft hat that only takes 30 seconds of checking bot.tf stats to make a suggestion for.

 

Either way, I literally only see Offline doing suggestions for unusual weapons on a regular basis, and there's tons of them that have yet to be priced, so if more people help with that then it's a benefit to the community overall. The entire point of suggestions is to give users an idea of an item's value, that's 50% of the intended purpose of backpack.tf. If 5 tickets per unusual weapon suggestion is what motivates more than literally just 1 person on the site to start making suggestions for unusual weapons, then it's perfectly fine. Even at 5 tickets per unusual suggestion accepted, that's still 30 suggestions needed to get a month of Premium, or 360 suggestions a year. That's still quite a bit of work required to get free premium year-round, especially for newer suggestors. For older ones? They already make a shitload of suggestions a year, and have been asking for free premium for a long time, thus now they get free premium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HarryG said:

https://backpack.tf/award-tickets

 

Specifically Unusual weapon skins suggestions based on one sale in marketplace that take 2 seconds to make. Don't like the idea that *ahem* WHOMEVER might be doing these suggestions is being told that each suggestion is a contribution 5x more valuable to the site than say, a key suggestion.


Even if they didn't count as unusual I still don't think they should count at all personally but I think the above is the most important part of the point I'm making as I could at least understand why people would want them to count for one ticket each

 

 

Also as a side note don't like how outdated rare non-Unusuals like Collector's and rare Genuines will become due to the literal removal of (what little) incentive there was to suggest them. Collector's weapons will be affected to a lesser extent based on the fact that they don't have as many sales but something like a HOUWAR or Genuine Robo-Sandvich has the potential to become very outdated because of this.

all my unu suggs are 1-2 sale suggestions that also take only like 30 secs so i don't get why you think that only goes for unu skins, anyway i think this ticket system is good as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with Cashew here. This is a new update and there's no need to get nit-picky at this stage. The incentive given here already is not that great. The incentive is to allow suggesters the ability to suggest without having to pay for premium. Why get stingy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unusual weapons get suggested under Decorated Weapon (at least in my hands) so those only receive 1 point rather than 5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being able to navigate through the site and find the right weapon is worthy of 5 points itself.

 

In all seriousness, unusual weapons don't have a proper pricelist, so I don't bother updating them unless absolutely necessary. From what I heard, offline bookmarks pages of many of the unusual weapons marketplace pages and checks them pretty frequently in order to update them, so I commend his effort to do that. If it weren't for him, at least half of the weapons currently priced wouldn't be priced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the "other concern" is regarding the Collector's/Genuine/rarity items, I don't see how the new system removes the incentive to suggest those. If anything, now you get a bonus ticket for suggesting them that'll go towards the premium requirement. That effect grows if the suggestion requires multiple minis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HarryG said:

Any responses regarding the other concern posed in the original post?

 

3 hours ago, ᴾᴾᴹ Shuffle Spy said:

If the "other concern" is regarding the Collector's/Genuine/rarity items

Yeah, if it is, then:

15 hours ago, A Delicious Cashew said:

The reason to make suggestions is still the exact same as before - suggestors want to help the community by keeping the pricelist accurate. This premium is an additional reward on top of that for active suggestors. I agree that this system may treat non-unusuals that require extra work a little unfairly, but I don't think this will have a negative effect on how often they are updated. People used to update items without this incentive, they still will with an incentive as well. However, a good percentage of non-unusuals are fairly easy to update, so I think it's fair to say that a 5x reward for an average unusual suggestion compared to an average non-unusual is reasonable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

 

Yeah, if it is, then:

 

The incentive is disproportionately imbalanced regarding the rarer non-Unusuals though. Saying that people updated them before is kind of a non-sequitor because there is now a (mathematically speaking) 500% greater reward for doing any Unusual as opposed to updating a Genuine Grandmaster where as before they were on the same playing field. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, HarryG said:

The incentive is disproportionately imbalanced regarding the rarer non-Unusuals though. Saying that people updated them before is kind of a non-sequitor because there is now a (mathematically speaking) 500% greater reward for doing any Unusual as opposed to updating a Genuine Grandmaster where as before they were on the same playing field. 

 

Unusuals always had more incentive to suggest over any other item, suggesting an unusual before the tickets update gave more reputation points than any other suggestion

 

Unusual suggestions also contribute towards a different and specific badge on your backpack.tf profile, while other ones are all batched under just suggestions made

 

Updating Unusuals over other items were never on the same playing field, and the ticket system exemplifies this - if other items see a decline in updates then that’s simply because of a lack of interest, not a lack of incentive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...