My text chat is broken.

Urist

I can't use text chat! All my bindings are right (say and sayteam). When I press my chat binds the dialog box comes up and I can type a message, but when I press enter it doesn't show up in chat. Using console to write a message yields the same effect. 

say "It's not working!"

Can anyone help?

Is your account free to play? Sounds like you are affected by Valve's recent update that blocks text chat for certain accounts.

4 minutes ago, Uncertain said:

Is your account free to play? Sounds like you are affected by Valve's recent update that blocks text chat for certain accounts.

My steam account is technically free to play, because I have not ever deposited more than $5 on it. However, I have a premium TF2 account because I bought a key on the Mann Co. store. It seems very unfair to me that my chat should be blocked. My backpack is worth over $50 and I've spent hundreds of hours in the game. Besides, my text chat in CS:GO isn't blocked. What should I do about this?

1 minute ago, Urist said:

My steam account is technically free to play, because I have not ever deposited more than $5 on it. However, I have a premium TF2 account because I bought a key on the Mann Co. store. It seems very unfair to me that my chat should be blocked. My backpack is worth over $50 and I've spent hundreds of hours in the game. Besides, my text chat in CS:GO isn't blocked. What should I do about this?

Deposit more money on Steam so that your account isn't limited, most likely.

In an effort to stop cheaters / bots that spam chat, VALVE has disabled the ability for F2P players to use in-game chat. I believe you must have your Steam account be a full premium account too, which will require you to add at least $5 directly to the account and then purchase a game on the store. This is so that bot owners can't just buy a bunch of Premium gifts with keys from 3rd parties to get around the chat blocker, they have to directly give Steam money to use chat.

Archived