Price Check Unusual Tuff Muffs

Skin2tight

1 hour ago, Mikers said:

Nothing to 95% of the users of this site, because trading with scammers = instant perma-ban.

Ban durations:

- 1st offence: 3 days - 3 months

- 2nd offence: 1 month - 6 months

- 3rd offence: permanent (appeal-able after 1 year)

Due to the hat, I would expect the ban to be on the heavier side of each offence. 

Diving into his case, it's actually kind of interesting. Pretty sure was banned almost 10 years ago for running away from what I assume was a low value spycrab. I personally see spycrabbing as gambling and anyone dumb enough to do it without a reputable middleman deserves to be scammed. You're not supposed to trust strangers on the internet.

We could be dealing with an instance where a kid lacking maturity and accountability simply ran from a spycrab figuring there were no real consequences. When you have very little to work with, amassing wealth is tough. We see kids all the time try to spycrab people for shortcuts to profit, and then dip out when they lose. I can't blame a child for not wanting to lose their things. They are supposed to be immature. Why mods/admins on servers allow children to gamble is beyond me. My point is he could be 20+ years old now and taking a legitimate interest in trading or cashing out, throwing a nice 1 of 1 hat into circulation. He's clearly not a scamming wiz, so I do think he should be given a second chance. 10 years will change anybody. Whether he's better or worse doesn't matter. If he screws up, then he'll be banned again. 

He had an appeal rejected in 2013, and he just recently opened another.

At the very least, it seems a bit silly that anyone would be banned for trading with him, given the circumstances. He never sharked, paypal scammed, or stole brokered items. Anyone that runs from a spycrab is simply immature. A decade can easily change that. I don't think he should be shut out forever for it. 

2 hours ago, creepio said:

Ban durations:

- 1st offence: 3 days - 3 months

- 2nd offence: 1 month - 6 months

- 3rd offence: permanent (appeal-able after 1 year)

Due to the hat, I would expect the ban to be on the heavier side of each offence. 

Diving into his case, it's actually kind of interesting. Pretty sure was banned almost 10 years ago for running away from what I assume was a low value spycrab. I personally see spycrabbing as gambling and anyone dumb enough to do it without a reputable middleman deserves to be scammed. You're not supposed to trust strangers on the internet.

We could be dealing with an instance where a kid lacking maturity and accountability simply ran from a spycrab figuring there were no real consequences. When you have very little to work with, amassing wealth is tough. We see kids all the time try to spycrab people for shortcuts to profit, and then dip out when they lose. I can't blame a child for not wanting to lose their things. They are supposed to be immature. Why mods/admins on servers allow children to gamble is beyond me. My point is he could be 20+ years old now and taking a legitimate interest in trading or cashing out, throwing a nice 1 of 1 hat into circulation. He's clearly not a scamming wiz, so I do think he should be given a second chance. 10 years will change anybody. Whether he's better or worse doesn't matter. If he screws up, then he'll be banned again. 

He had an appeal rejected in 2013, and he just recently opened another.

At the very least, it seems a bit silly that anyone would be banned for trading with him, given the circumstances. He never sharked, paypal scammed, or stole brokered items. Anyone that runs from a spycrab is simply immature. A decade can easily change that. I don't think he should be shut out forever for it. 

Hello, I really appreciate you looking into what I was specifically reported for scamming for, I think you hit the nail on the head with me being immature about the spycrab. Whether the Steamrep admins are still active or not I would like to pay reparations to the original guy, i think I owe him a max's head at the value it was in 2011, so $100 maybe.    Thanks

1 hour ago, Skin2tight said:

Hello, I really appreciate you looking into what I was specifically reported for scamming for, I think you hit the nail on the head with me being immature about the spycrab. Whether the Steamrep admins are still active or not I would like to pay reparations to the original guy, i think I owe him a max's head at the value it was in 2011, so $100 maybe.    Thanks

If you provide proof of paying the guy back that you originally scammed that's pretty much the only hope you have. I was thinking you spycrabbed a ref or something. A max head is a bit more significant. Especially if the added profit eventually led to your unbox. If that's the case then giving the guy the time warp muffs would be the item you should give him. You don't simply "owe" him $100 because you flat out stole it. You owe him a lot more than that.

1 hour ago, creepio said:

If you provide proof of paying the guy back that you originally scammed that's pretty much the only hope you have. I was thinking you spycrabbed a ref or something. A max head is a bit more significant. Especially if the added profit eventually led to your unbox. If that's the case then giving the guy the time warp muffs would be the item you should give him. You don't simply "owe" him $100 because you flat out stole it. You owe him a lot more than that.

The spycrab was in early 2011, and the unbox was 2013. I wouldn't say they were linked since i bought keys. Anyways i'll look for the guy. In terms of what i "owe" the guy, the value of the max's head at the time it happened was proposed by a steamrep admin.

It took you two years to make your first appeal. I assume this was right after you unboxed the hat. The motivation to get unbanned is clear as day. You've returned seven years later to try again. You can say you've changed. and maybe you're telling the truth. The problem is you've said you will do the right thing if your scammer tag is removed. You've also price checked your hat on the backpack.tf forums, which was a big mistake. Now we can only assume your motivation continues to be selling the hat. 9 years have passed. That's high school, college, and a year in the workforce for some. 3250+ days have passed where you decided not to pay back the money you stole. 

Think of the theft like a loan you haven't made a payment on for 9 years. Interest rates. Now forget the loan part and go back to recognizing you stole again. You have deprived somebody of $100 and potentially made them quit trading or the game as a whole. 

You owe the victim a very long apology and a lot more than $100. Offering up the hat you've spent 7 years trying to get unbanned for is your only move tbh. They 100% know you stand to profit the most off your proposed agreement. $100 for the victim of 9 years is still $200-300+ for you.

While writing this I checked your SR again and saw your appeal was literally just turned down. 

So now, here is the question: Since you aren't going to profit from this arrangement, do you still feel compelled to do the right thing and pay the guy back? Or are you going to disappear, seeing how you don't stand to gain, only lose.

3 hours ago, creepio said:

It took you two years to make your first appeal. I assume this was right after you unboxed the hat. The motivation to get unbanned is clear as day. You've returned seven years later to try again. You can say you've changed. and maybe you're telling the truth. The problem is you've said you will do the right thing if your scammer tag is removed. You've also price checked your hat on the backpack.tf forums, which was a big mistake. Now we can only assume your motivation continues to be selling the hat. 9 years have passed. That's high school, college, and a year in the workforce for some. 3250+ days have passed where you decided not to pay back the money you stole. 

Think of the theft like a loan you haven't made a payment on for 9 years. Interest rates. Now forget the loan part and go back to recognizing you stole again. You have deprived somebody of $100 and potentially made them quit trading or the game as a whole. 

You owe the victim a very long apology and a lot more than $100. Offering up the hat you've spent 7 years trying to get unbanned for is your only move tbh. They 100% know you stand to profit the most off your proposed agreement. $100 for the victim of 9 years is still $200-300+ for you.

While writing this I checked your SR again and saw your appeal was literally just turned down. 

So now, here is the question: Since you aren't going to profit from this arrangement, do you still feel compelled to do the right thing and pay the guy back? Or are you going to disappear, seeing how you don't stand to gain, only lose.

Yeah I intend to pay him back

On 4/26/2020 at 9:28 PM, creepio said:

Also,  I spent way more on the value of the hat on keys, Keeping it because its 1:1, and yes 10 years is a long time. I'm not in any financial crunch to sell the hat as I said. I'm still interested in paying back the guy regardless of the scammer tag being removed just because I want to clear debt. Tf2 doesn't get frequent updates and the player base feels its declining, but you're right about me owing that guy the money he deserves. Could you possibly help me find him? the original thread was on SourceOP and none of their stuff is archived. Thanks

• 3 months later...

Archived