Is it even worth trading under 1 key?

aallfik11

I recently came back to tf2 trading, however my capital (around 40 ref) has since degraded in its value, and seeing bots everywhere it's really hard to buy anything for cheap enough to make any profit. Should I just invest in keys and go straight to unusuals at this point, or would something like completing killstreak kits still be a viable option?

1 hour ago, Druwu said:

If you have the option too, I'd invest in keys ANY day of the week

How many keys are we talking about though? 10? 20? I heard the sub-20 key market is dominated by bots as well

Anywhere from 7 to like 80 keys is enough to make good profit, just depends on how long you wanna wait for a deal to come around. Knowing every avenue available to you helps, dont just focus on unusuals.

1 hour ago, aallfik11 said:

so minimum 20 then? Damn, pretty expensive for me

I'm pretty sure he was referring to unusual trading...

Although it's the quickest way, there are many more possible low-tier ways to trade with 1 key

While it is still technically possible to build yourself up from scratch, it's just not worth it. Getting to the point where the profit of your trades will be measured in keys will take months, whereas if you worked even a minimum wage job, you'd be able to raise yourself up to that same point in a few hours.

The unfortunate reality is trading just isn't as easy as it used to be. Bots dominate pretty much every buy/sell order and the margins between buy and sell orders are ridiculously low with all the undercutting.

I set a buy order for buds awhile back for 3.1 keys each, and within 10 minutes three different bots were set to 3.15. Same thing with selling.

Not to say it's not fun. It's just more effort for less reward. 

Once you get into mid-high tier unusuals, the bots disappear. Of course, that's a substantial investment and you've already noted 20 keys is talking a lot. 

Also, not looking to stat a "bots R evil" conversation. They provide stability and convenience for buyers. Waiting on a guy to respond can be a bummer. Just my two cents on how they can be difficult to deal with. 

Go into trade servers and buy steam trading cards or other marketable items (Such as CS:GO/Dota 2 items) with scrap for easy profit.

7 hours ago, TripleMasterA said:

Go into trade servers and buy steam trading cards or other marketable items (Such as CS:GO/Dota 2 items) with scrap for easy profit.

Would that take a bit? After selling the marketables on the market and getting steam credit, would you not have to buy an item on there with your credit and wait a week to trade it off for profit? I get that it can be profitable but it seems very time-consuming.

dont start with anything under 20 keys. believe me i started from 10 ref 2 years ago and now i feel that grind was not AT ALL worth it. wouldve been far easier if i had invested more

7 hours ago, EthanVDrawz said:

Would that take a bit? After selling the marketables on the market and getting steam credit, would you not have to buy an item on there with your credit and wait a week to trade it off for profit? I get that it can be profitable but it seems very time-consuming.

No. Because there are buyers for 0.44-0.55 ref.

18 hours ago, creepio said:

Once you get into mid-high tier unusuals, the bots disappear. Of course, that's a substantial investment and you've already noted 20 keys is talking a lot. 

Uh, what? Bots have already flooded every part of the unusual market. You're lucky to get a rec or even a ref profit on unusuals priced at 20+ keys now.

As an unusual trader, I've personally been buying/selling at a loss for several weeks now. You can actually find unusuals where the sellers are lower than the buyers. This doesn't just go for unusuals either, plenty of high priced stranges are the same way.

Why? Because it's a gamble for the buyers. In order to get noticed, we now have to put our buy orders above the sell orders in hopes someone sells us a mid-high tier unusual. Sell the shit tier effects at a loss in hopes of gambling to get a higher tier one. Can someone take advantage of this? Yeah, frankly, surprised no one is.

5 hours ago, Knightfury69 said:

dont start with anything under 20 keys. believe me i started from 10 ref 2 years ago and now i feel that grind was not AT ALL worth it. wouldve been far easier if i had invested more

Idk about that I started with about a key and 5 ref and only did strange items till I could afford an unusual which took a while yes but its not that hard especially since you said 2 years ago. I did all this 2 years ago too. its time consuming bc of bots you gotta go out of your way to find good deals and also you gotta find a way to sell higher than bots for stranges and stuff that's sub 10 keys bc most traders can and do usually pay full pure with no problem when it comes to stuff sub 10 keys and you can def try to find people that will pay a bit more for items with parts etc.. I basically just buy from bots now for strange items, I can't compete with the buy orders they basically undercut you in seconds so I grab it off them and sell it at a premium 

On 4/3/2020 at 8:12 AM, Toad said:

Uh, what? Bots have already flooded every part of the unusual market. You're lucky to get a rec or even a ref profit on unusuals priced at 20+ keys now.

"Uh, what?" Would indicate confusion, but then you followed it with a factually untrue statement.. so now I'm confused. 

10 hours ago, creepio said:

"Uh, what?" Would indicate confusion, but then you followed it with a factually untrue statement.. so now I'm confused. 

My experience the past several weeks says otherwise. 

Archived