Fix overpriced weapons

Crazyy Cow

I've seen this for a while, a really cheap weapon that is crazy overpriced on backpack.tf, which can be used to shark people.

https://backpack.tf/stats/Decorated Weapon/Piña Polished | Rocket Launcher (Field-Tested)/Tradable/Craftable

It's like 44 keys in your backpack. but sell for like 2 bucks

Case in point: this guy's got like 6 of em. https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198254620348

7 minutes ago, Nikspy said:

They lose 15% of their money

Small correction: they lose approx. 13% of the price they pay for the item.

33 minutes ago, Nikspy said:

Sorry to say there isn't a easy or simple fix to this. Since lower tier skins and fabricators rely on the SCM for prices.

Yea but they're selling for wayy lower on scm. I have no idea where the 98 dollars comes from

Just now, Crazyy Cow said:

Yea but they're selling for wayy lower on scm. I have no idea where the 98 dollars comes from

It can honestly be for any price point, the hundreds of dollars was just an example.

Just now, Nikspy said:

It can honestly be for any price point, the hundreds of dollars was just an example.

I understand this my dude, im just saying that the prices don't seem to be coming off of scm correctly. This should be fixed if possible

1 minute ago, Crazyy Cow said:

I understand this my dude, im just saying that the prices don't seem to be coming off of scm correctly. This should be fixed if possible

You're right. Just another glitch. One of many we can only hope to get fixed. But it blows my mind that someone at some point spent 980 dollars on a 2 dollar skin, just to scam some other people...

It is not a glitch it is an abuse of mechanics, scm priced items use like the past 3 months of sales or the average price of say the last 25 sales (who knows which one it is either one would cause a price hike).

Below is useless math about how I believe it's avg price of last X sales vs avg sales of last X months. Skip to next paragraph for my point.

As seen here (https://imgur.com/a/4r0IRO3) about a month ago it sold for $170, if you only look at that sale and the ones after it you get 6 sales of $170, 0.32, 1.50, 1.43, 1.46, 1.26 which averages out to around $29 which leads me to believe it's probably the average of the last X sales since the last 11 sales have one for $414 and 309 (0.20, 0.45, 0.25 for the other 3) which brings the avg up to $81 and including the 12th last sale of $980 brings it way up to $156.

This is not easily fixable if at all, they could exclude outliers but (and humor me) if a hat gets updated regions like some in the past have and it suddenly price hikes the scm sales will be misleading on a much larger scale than the isolated price hikes that target very specific skins. Another example would be the crate depression which raised prices of the effected crates, if outliers were removed it's likely many people would have been scammed out of their glitched crates by tens of dollars (large amount for a 3 cent item!).

TL:DR changing the scm pricing algorithm would always have a flaw in it and currently it probably has the least impact since it can really only be used to target specific users with specific skins* instead of broad items that a large majority of people have.

The best solution imo is a warning tag applied to item pages when a sudden price difference is detected in past sales similar to the low craft warning tag; however this one would also be applied to the item page.

*I have realized while post-reading that my mind was thinking wrongly about how scammers use this, scammers use the op's situation to try and "item overpay" for someone else's actually good items ($0.02 crappy skin for $5 in keys). When I was writing I was thinking of the same mechanics as the crate example but that is more similar to sharking (low bid that actually is worth something for something worth far more: $5 in keys for a $50 hat).

I still believe my point stands that switching to ignoring outliers would be a worse choice as rare items can have sudden price hikes, due to a low sale volume, which would lead to a poor price representation (which in the end, backpack is meant to fulfill this objective). If a rare item is able to be sold for $500 but the previous sales from when it first came out are for $50 then the $500 sale will be ignored leading to an incorrect price report by -90%

2 hours ago, Nikspy said:

You're right. Just another glitch. One of many we can only hope to get fixed. But it blows my mind that someone at some point spent 980 dollars on a 2 dollar skin, just to scam some other people...

It was more likely just used as a placeholder item to transfer funds for something else, or just good ol' fashioned money laundering.

8 hours ago, vAGUe said:

Just don't trade skins

Just have a clue and think 'I doubt that well worn backwoods boomstick mk ii paint is worth $200'

One of the main things I like about trading skins is that there is no 'price bible' 

On 3/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, Alecto said:

Just have a clue and think 'I doubt that well worn backwoods boomstick mk ii paint is worth $200'

One of the main things I like about trading skins is that there is no 'price bible' 

Competely agree with u. I've been trading for 4 years and would laugh, but a lot of low tier traders might be swayed

Archived