Proof of the received offers

homophobic

* It is obvious that BP.TF is the only (almost, definetley most used) website to advertise your items.

*In many listings you can find out the current or past best offers given by sellers.

* However there is a problem here, anyone could make up those offers which is same as scamming. 

* I belive if such information is given by the user, a legit proof must be in the listing notes or bp.tf item description. 

* Maybe some regulations can be done about this.

Any thoughts?

Actual received trade offers >>> Received "Verbal" offers >>> Other peoples statements about received offers.

In my opinion "CO" can produce more harm then good, as good number of people would use this to make shady deals and border like scams

and in this process they would use backpack.tf rep to "boost" value of their items. 

In my opinion, they should show proof on the same listing of a pending trade offer with that offer, showing the name of the other user. That still could be misused but not as much as now. There's many people claiming that they have ridiculously high c/o's and I'm pretty sure that most of them are fake. There's a big difference between someone willing to pay 100 who has the keys at that exact moment to make the trade and someone that COULD pay that price eventually, which most times lead to nothing. A good example of a ridiculously high c/o is a collector tree which the owner claims to have a c/o at the same price that his b/o lmao, and in the meantime he even gambled the item, like who the fuck would gamble an item valued at half of your c/o in pure shake my head, even if someone offered that he should be pretty sure that the guy offering is not going to buy it. In summary, they should show a solid proof or they shouldn't be allowed to say that in their listings.

Giant upvote on this. I've seen people with C/O's nearly double the buyout sometimes. How I see it is if ur stuff is nfs throw declined offers on there to show ur legit not selling it (No need to prove until you are actually about to trade the item/listing it). if ur trying to sell something showing proof of current offer's is the only feasible way to not get a warn/mark for obvious reasons. (Assuming this gets added) What can be done about people making an alt with some items and making themselves a fake offer in the instance that this is added as a rule tho. (Same idea is upping bots buy orders and price manipulating). I've seen some cases (Or at least heard of them) of people moving items to friends to get a vote passed then try to sell the item sky high (or at least try) so what happens there aswell & how do we figure that type of situation out? Sorry for going a tad off topic but I think it does benefit the conversation here as one answer to that should cover this use case aswell. 

7 hours ago, mb_ said:

Actual received trade offers >>> Received "Verbal" offers >>> Other peoples statements about received offers.

In my opinion "CO" can produce more harm then good, as good number of people would use this to make shady deals and border like scams

and in this process they would use backpack.tf rep to "boost" value of their items. 

This can be done without this rule and who knows maybe someone is already doing that. There are some people who already banned because of fake offers, lies, using friends to put a fake offers in buy orders. It is true that BP.tf admins cant check all the listings that have solid or fake offers. However users can do that, personally i do. Honestly if someone wants sell their items, providing a true solid past good offers can help. I dont think this will harm the site or people in anyway.

3 hours ago, <blank> said:

This can be done without this rule and who knows maybe someone is already doing that. There are some people who already banned because of fake offers, lies, using friends to put a fake offers in buy orders. It is true that BP.tf admins cant check all the listings that have solid or fake offers. However users can do that, personally i do. Honestly if someone wants sell their items, providing a true solid past good offers can help. I dont think this will harm the site or people in anyway.

I agree it can be done now (and it is done atm), but with this i believe it would provide some extra legitimacy to tricksters willing to go far in order to fake offers...

1 hour ago, mb_ said:

I agree it can be done now (and it is done atm), but with this i believe it would provide some extra legitimacy to tricksters willing to go far in order to fake offers...

this does not make any sense. if you add this rule (faking offers is still not allowed but not in written words probably, which encourages users to lie. this is like unspoken rule that everyone knows about), how could that possibly promote more fake offers? they will be warned or banned if found out. anyway this will be decided by mods however i believe this one is needed. 

45 minutes ago, <blank> said:

this does not make any sense. if you add this rule (faking offers is still not allowed but not in written words probably, which encourages users to lie. this is like unspoken rule that everyone knows about), how could that possibly promote more fake offers? they will be warned or banned if found out. anyway this will be decided by mods however i believe this one is needed. 

Its really hard to prove actual legit offers, anyone can ask friend to send them offer that will can be declined by agreement. But in suggested case you give more legitimacy to fakers and as result of that - more people could fall for it.

49 minutes ago, mb_ said:

Its really hard to prove actual legit offers, anyone can ask friend to send them offer that will can be declined by agreement. But in suggested case you give more legitimacy to fakers and as result of that - more people could fall for it.

in that case, i ask the name of the guy who offered and investigate the # days of being friends. however my suggestion is not an obligation of providing best offers in description. it is: if you are providing such information, you need to provide proof otherwise its just a simple lie. moreover if this is found to be fake or agreement offer scam, there will be consequences. 

1 hour ago, <blank> said:

Yep, however its better than nothing.

The best way I've found is to check days of friendship AND recent game activity this can be a bit more telling if they are always playing the same things at the same times. Otherwise is a shot in the dark.

honestly its not a bad idea but its hard to know if the offer is legit or not unless the offer was made by a known trader. this can quickly be abused and make fake offers but bp.tf already can ban people for this so im not sure.

8 minutes ago, Sniper Noob said:

I think this is another well-intended but practically unenforceable rule suggestion.

Providing a proof was a rule on outpost and at that time i dont remember any problems. 

3 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

honestly its not a bad idea but its hard to know if the offer is legit or not unless the offer was made by a known trader. this can quickly be abused and make fake offers but bp.tf already can ban people for this so im not sure.

Current situation: Feel free to fake your past offers.

After that rule: A simple report on listings without proof can be closed in a second. If a given proof in notes (thats a must if you are providing past offers), other traders can check the proof and they can decide what to do; bidding or reporting if it is an also fake offer. Also people who keep doing faking offers up to some numbers, they can be banned from classifieds for a few weeks to month. That can be arranged by mods.

15 hours ago, <blank> said:

Yep, however its better than nothing.

It basically isn't tho. You just said "Yep", agreeing to my "Doesn't prove anything tho" comment, so how is something that doesn't prove anything better than nothing?

14 hours ago, Zeus904 said:

recent game activity this can be a bit more telling if they are always playing the same things at the same times

Wouldn't prove anything yet again, since obviously the 2 users are gonna have tf2 in their activity, unless you meant some other game, which can be very coincidential anyway.

3 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

It basically isn't tho. You just said "Yep", agreeing to my "Doesn't prove anything tho" comment, so how is something that doesn't prove anything better than nothing?

you will be the judge in that case. you can have some background info like zeus904 provided. if you feel like thats a solid offer you can outbid it if not you will just pass. without anything, you cant do that.

3 hours ago, <blank> said:

you will be the judge in that case

then again, that may make you unnecessarily paranoid of 2 guys being friends and a part of a scheme while in reality that isn't the case and you just miss the hat you wanna buy lol

1 hour ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

then again, that may make you unnecessarily paranoid of 2 guys being friends and a part of a scheme while in reality that isn't the case and you just miss the hat you wanna buy lol

I would rather miss the item instead of being scammed (fake offer thing). Also nobody with an experience in trading would just look if they are friends or not. 10 mins research can help, both of the guys reps, past reports anything can be checked that is online for everybody. In the end you can decide. Anyway, all of those probabilities can be possible if the suggested rule passes.

9 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Wouldn't prove anything yet again, since obviously the 2 users are gonna have tf2 in their activity, unless you meant some other game, which can be very coincidential anyway.

Exactly my point. There is no reliable way to determine this currently if the most we can go off of is similar steam library activity. Game activity (steam games) can give some insight (nearly always accurate) but its much better than just using time added. 

6 hours ago, <blank> said:

I would rather miss the item instead of being scammed (fake offer thing)

Well, i meant that as more of a collector stand point

Archived