PIRACY

There

Piracy  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about piracy?

• It's great, I do it all the time
    • It's great, I only do it on things that are too expensive
    • It's fine, people can do it, but I won't.
    • It's bad.

I just don't feel like spending money for everything. I bought over 250CDs for money, yet I still have more music than that on my computer. I downloaded game of thrones and bought the complete seasons when they are finally available here. I don't have a problem with it, most people who download music would never buy the cds anyways, at least they know the band then and help sharing their music or go to live concerts (where they pay for the ticket etc).~ I miss a fitting option for me though.

I only torrent tv shows tbh

because here in Hong Kong, our itunes store doesn't do TV, and CD box sets cost exorbitant amounts of money. I mean for crying out loud, I just want to watch 30 Rock! 

Its bad, no doubt about that, but its never going to stop.The main problem I see are that it forces developers to put DRM (another debate) which screws with the normal customers. Also If you want to watch/play/listen to something, the creator deserves a reward for his/her efforts. However I'm not going to lie, I've torrented software and TV shows that are unviewable in my country, but given the opputunity I do try to help the creator. 

I only pirate movie and music because:

• It's easy, requires no accounts, registration, credit card or whatsoever, just download a program and you're good to go.
  • Because it gives you the best experience, sure you can stream movies for a small amount of money, but either the quality is crap, the subtitles are not in Swedish or the sound is not synced etcetcetc.
  • And a tiny bit because it's free, I can buy movies in collector's editions sometimes, but for me there's no compelling reason to own a box that's not limited or anything, I'd much rather have a digital copy of it then.
  • And I pirate music because I want loselsss FLAC files and I know no good websites where you can buy them from, also I have to admit I'm quite cheap, I like to renew my library all the time so if I would buy all my music I would go bankrupt.

Worth mentioning is that i only pirate movies and music, games is another thing, Steam is the best drm i've ever encountered, and it's nice to keep all your games and software in the same place on all devices with no cd's many accounts or such. Also games and software gives you so much more for your money, a seriously great game these days only cost a few euros, that's very compelling in my opinion.

Pirating music isn't (imo) morally wrong. Musicians get most their money from playing live... it should stay that way.

Even pirating movies isn't bad. Movies make far more from movie theaters then they do from dvd/blu-ray sales. 

The Avengers

Ex: 1.5 billion from theaters vs. 200 million from disc sales.

MIB 3

Ex: 624 million from theaters vs. 60 million from disc sales.

Even pirating movies isn't bad. Movies make far more from movie theaters then they do from dvd/blu-ray sales. 

The Avengers

Ex: 1.5 billion from theaters vs. 200 million from disc sales.

MIB 3

Ex: 624 million from theaters vs. 60 million from disc sales.

Hmm, possibly, but when I was in China there were countless people selling movies before release. While this may be an issue present in China more than the US, I wouldn't be surprised if piracy does hurt the amount of money made in theaters.

Hmm, possibly, but when I was in China there were countless people selling movies before release. While this may be an issue present in China more than the US, I wouldn't be surprised if piracy does hurt the amount of money made in theaters.

less than you think since you're pretty much stuck with a shitty cam until the movie gets released (unless of course the studio manages to leak a copy).

in 2003 or so, 1/6 of sweden had downloaded something illegally atleast once. 1/10 did it every so often.

we dont care, seriously. you could talk about it in the open. hell even my entire company talks about it in the open and tip each other on new pages you can download on and invite eachother etc.

i always download whatever i wanna try before i buy it. if its shit. it doesnt deserve my money. just look at my steam library. all those are bought even though i could've downloaded them. why? because they are good games. they deserve to get credit for what they've done for me and the entire gaming community.

ive probably watched well over 100 different movies in my entire life. ive got 400 storebought dvds in my bookshelf, because i enjoyed the movie.

probably what started piracy in sweden is the god awful prices we get and the fact that ~30% of movies air like 2-5 months before in the states. so when the states have gotten a bluray and dvd release, sweden just had it released in cinema.

Archived