Canceling trade hold trade.

Density

Ok, so I ended up sending this guy a trade for his item, he had a trade hold and has had it for months now. I see no choice but to send the offer. I end up losing interest in the item later on and cancel the trade. Steam now says that I can not trade because I recently had all my trade offers canceled. Is this some form of trade ban? How can I get rid of it?

When you dont have the 2FA enabled all your trades will be hold for 15 days. If you cancel that offer you will get a trade ban for a period of time and there is no way to remove it. 

If you check properly, on top of the trade offers it says you will get trade banned if you decline the offers that are on hold.

1 minute ago, Pixxi0us said:

When you dont have the 2FA enabled all your trades will be hold for 15 days. If you cancel that offer you will get a trade ban for a period of time and there is no way to remove it. 

If you check properly, on top of the trade offers it says you will get trade banned if you decline the offers that are on hold.

Is the trade ban permanent?

Just now, NOTVERYACCURATE said:

Is the trade ban permanent?

just for a period of time, not sure how long it is, but probably 7 days.

Just now, Pixxi0us said:

just for a period of time, not sure how long it is, but probably 7 days.

ok, thanks. What do I do if it doesn't go away after 7 days?

17 minutes ago, NOTVERYACCURATE said:

ok, thanks. What do I do if it doesn't go away after 7 days?

it's 100% guaranteed to go away after 7 days. that's the time period and there are no factors that change this, unless you have 2FA activated

good lesson this options to cancel is only when you get scammed or account stealed not when change your mind in a trade.

you must know all trade are final this trade ban is a good lesson and avoid abuse on people who change mind in a trade.

Problem is you kept other persons items on ice, he was unable to use them in game or trade them. He trusted you to go along with trade and you broke that trust - if it was up to me rules of the site would allow -Rep on profile for this kinda of thing so other people know what to expect when you try to do "delayed trades" with them...

3 hours ago, mb_ said:

Problem is you kept other persons items on ice, he was unable to use them in game or trade them. He trusted you to go along with trade and you broke that trust - if it was up to me rules of the site would allow -Rep on profile for this kinda of thing so other people know what to expect when you try to do "delayed trades" with them...

Yes, I know

Dealing with trade-holds are the alternative to mobile authentication. Basically: A trade-hold is an already completed trade, except you can still unilaterally reverse it.

Cancelling held trades isn't for backing out of completed trades, that is what cancelling trade offers is for. Cancelling held trades is for stopping account hijackers from stealing all your items and the subsequent automatic trade ban is supposed to prevent hijackers making further attempts to take the items while you work to regain full control of your account.

i.e. Backing out of accepted trades is not the intended purpose of cancelling trade holds. Steam warns you that you will be traded restricted for doing it, yet you ignored the warned and went ahead and did it anyway and are now here complaining about the fact you ignored warnings.

Thankfully the temp trade ban has the unofficial feature / benefit of also temp banning people attempting to abuse the feature / use the feature in unintended ways.

• Density locked this topic

Archived