[What if scenario] The $1M exit scam

Wsdea

Hey everyone,

I would like to share a very unlikely but still theoretically possible scenario where Marketplace.tf just exits the game by selling our items on their own website.

This kind of swindle has to be fast and sneaky. Here is how I would see it :

Let's say you are selling a Golden Frying Pan at 2500$. 
    1) Marketplace.tf will sell your item under the hood to the first buy order without displaying the sale on the stats nor telling you it has been sold.
    2) At this point, your listing is still up and you don't know your item has already been delivered to a random guy. 
    3) Meanwhile Geel keeps the money of the sale.
    4) Steps 1 to 3 can be repeated until there are no more buy orders.

That would also be funny if the buyer from the buy order tries to sell again on marketplace.

This could be applied to every item on Marketplace.tf. Considering that about 1M$ is spread across their 148 bots (537932 keys at the time of writing this), this would be a nice scam, and probably the biggest in the history of TF2.

Let me know your thoughts ! In your opinion, what would be the consequences of this on the TF2 economy ?

Thank you for reading

-Wsdea

It with crash the entire trading economy for a significant amount of time, and create a precedent that would more or less make it hard if not impossible for any sort of large centralized 3rd party market to exist again, if only because of the memory of the scam.

However, that being said, pulling an exit scam would be one of the dumbest things imaginable to do. The site more or less generates steady income via commission, and throwing all that work away for a one time scam is stupid when you consider that the credit card companies can reverse charges and that the money you can get from the scam is probably less than just running the site legitimately for a couple years. Not to mention that you'll be making a ton of enemies. Most of the exit scams that you see are typically in crypto, because the charges can't be reversed, people are anonymous, and there isn't even a logical business plan in the first place for the vast majority of those operation. Marketplace.tf can't pull a fast one on Visa, people can find Geel if they want to badly enough, and it has a business plan that can reasonably make money.

3 hours ago, FeelZ said:

Not to mention that you'll be making a ton of enemies.

Not only would you be making enemies with the staff / users who wouldn't be in on it, it could escalate to the point Valve themselves would take notice.

Not to mention that a couple people here would go as far as tracking you down irl. (This has happened before, a few times)

5 hours ago, FeelZ said:

However, that being said, pulling an exit scam would be one of the dumbest things imaginable to do. The site more or less generates steady income via commission, and throwing all that work away for a one time scam is stupid

You have a point here, but if in like 10 years, far less people are trading, the website might not be a profitable business plan and it would be a solution, kind of ^^’

This will never happen. One of the main reasons, They are a registered business and have directors CFO etc details listed so have an address and recourse to aim for should it even happen.

4 minutes ago, DanielDee said:

This will never happen. One of the main reasons, They are a registered business and have directors CFO etc details listed so have an address and recourse to aim for should it even happen.

I’m not saying it will happen :) 

32 minutes ago, flirganovski said:

Oh my god, again some apocalyptic scenarios and black clouds! Whats wrong with people?  :) 

I’m just giving ideas to our fellow Geel

29 minutes ago, Wsdea said:

I’m just giving ideas to our fellow Geel

Yeah, I see but i think they still make a lot of money this way.  TF2 game and economy are far from dead and wont die soon, people love this $hit.   :) 

I can see I worried some of you ^^’ there is nothing to be worried about right now, as long as they are able to have lots of sales on their website. 

I would be a bit more worried about Mannco.store 🙃

Archived