I was stupid and traded with a scammer a long time ago and I want to track down my items

DiscoDonuts

The story: So I was stupid and fell for the gambling site scam. The one where you always win because they can make you win. Anyways, there were 3 items that I really wish I never traded and now I'm trying to track them down and see if I can buy them from whoever has them now (if the scammer still has them then I guess I'm in a pickle).  What I'm asking for is just guidance/advice on how to find these items and whose inventory they are in. I could premium search for them but for one of the items (and probably the others as well), there's 21k of them and I'm not gonna sit here looking through pages for the ONE item I want. I have the backpack.tf page and steam profile page of the scammer as well as history of the trade. It's been a few months btw. I never considered finding the items because it took me two months to realize I had been scammed.

The question: Any ideas where to start? Is there a way for me to check the histories of items all at once or something?

TL;DR I got scammed and now I want to track down my items, is there anything I can start with?

Use your own bp.tf inventory site and set date for when you had the items, the check history of each to see who current owner is.

If there are 21k of an item, why is it so important to get that exact one back? Any possible tags and custom name/description is most likely gone anyway

3 minutes ago, LeROY said:

Use your own bp.tf inventory site and set date for when you had the items, the check history of each to see who current owner is.

If there are 21k of an item, why is it so important to get that exact one back? Any possible tags and custom name/description is most likely gone anyway

There were no special tags. One of the items was my first Australium, the other was a carbonado botkiller knife (they both have meaning to me), and I suppose the strange ullapool caber that I also want back doesn't really matter too much

Thanks for the tip.

31 minutes ago, Jambles said:

The one where you always win because they can make you win

So, you knew that they were going to scam someone and you were ok with that.

15 minutes ago, Jambles said:

(they both have meaning to me)

Apparently not if you added them to a gambling site. 

1 minute ago, Mrs TS said:

So you knew...

No, I didn't. Not at the time. I do now considering I never won my items back

Apparently not...

I was told I would win them back and was naive enough to believe them so I wasn't worried about losing them. They also used the rushing tactic so I tried to find expensive items to increase my chances of winning (which sounds stupid now since they said they could make me win anyways)

Dont hate me for not believing you, but the way all those people work is, the add you out of thin air, and in their opening statements they tell you that they will let you win a certain amount of times per week if you advertise for them. That means from the beginning you knew it was a scam site and people were having their items stolen from their fraudulent gambling site.

2 minutes ago, Mrs TS said:

Dont hate me for not believing you, but the way all those people work is, the add you out of thin air, and in their opening statements they tell you that they will let you win a certain amount of times per week if you advertise for them. That means from the beginning you knew it was a scam site and people were having their items stolen from their fraudulent gambling site.

I'm not hating you but it's a mistake I made because before then, I had never ever seen a scammer, let alone known what they'd say. To my eyes, it seemed like a fair deal, I advertise and get rewarded. It seems obvious to those who have heard stories and warnings about these people but I had none of this. I just started trading and didn't know what to expect.

i feel the same as you. tho in my position the only thing i wanted to track down was my first unusual that i unboxed.i found the person but inactive for the past 2-3 years already.feelsbadman

13 hours ago, Mrs TS said:

Not necessarily. I got scammed once by a dude who wanted me to "verify" my items on some skins site. His spiel was that putting them on the site would prove that they were clean and tradable, and that I could get them right back. He told me to try putting up some cheapo item, and it worked. I got it back. Then he asked me to put up my precious unusuals, and they were gone instantly. Still not quite sure what he did; it was some time ago. TL;DR not every trading site scam works the same way. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Pineapple Pizza said:

Not necessarily. I got scammed once by a dude who wanted me to "verify" my items on some skins site. His spiel was that putting them on the site would prove that they were clean and tradable, and that I could get them right back. He told me to try putting up some cheapo item, and it worked. I got it back. Then he asked me to put up my precious unusuals, and they were gone instantly. Still not quite sure what he did; it was some time ago. TL;DR not every trading site scam works the same way. 

Mrs TS is not saying that anyone who gets scammed by any method bears any responsibility, she is talking only about this type of scam. The fact that someone says to you they will fix gambling pots in your favour demonstrates that they're a scammer already, in essence you are vulnerable for agreeing to work with them out of greed.

Archived