Marketplace.tf scammer deals?

Anteater Supreme

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I can't seem to find any information about this situation.

What I'm talking about is that a lot of unusual hats under the Deals section have very recent histories of scammers tied to them and the sellers are selling them at absurd discounts in order to sell them away fast.

Does Marketplace.tf check for marked people before accepting deposits or something? Also, if you place a buy order on an item and buy an item automatically that was placed and sold by a scammer, can you get banned for that even though it was automatic?

Sorry if asking an obvious question, I've been noticing too many suspicious history items on the website's deals section lately and just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

if its automatic, i can 100% say that you won't be banned. you have no way to control who sells to your buy order.

I do know people have been banned for actively searching for scammed unusuals (because they know they can get great deals), but i'm not sure about MPTF's way of dealing with scammers / ALTS.

It's most likely people who got banned for gambling with scammers. Not actual scammers.

Those items might have an absurd discount on them but they are not good deals at all.

steamrep marked users cannot trade on marketplace.tf but marketplace does not have a system in place to ban alts. If you find someone you suspect of being a scammer alt report them

most scammers on steamrep are also banned from selling on marketplace. however I have seen items uploaded to marketplace that have been removed by geel and he took them to sell on scrap.tf unu bot. If I can those history links ill edit my post. but you should be safe from a ban on marketplace. 

6 hours ago, saveriocello said:

I have seen items uploaded to marketplace that have been removed by geel and he took them to sell on scrap.tf unu bot.

Geel stole hats from scammers?  If that's true, it could be considered an unprecedented abuse of power, although certainly amusing.

7 hours ago, saveriocello said:

most scammers on steamrep are also banned from selling on marketplace. however I have seen items uploaded to marketplace that have been removed by geel and he took them to sell on scrap.tf unu bot. If I can those history links ill edit my post. but you should be safe from a ban on marketplace. 

And steamrep says scamming a scammer makes you a scammer 🤔 so we can report geel and get him banned from his own site

2 minutes ago, Mokky said:

And steamrep says scamming a scammer makes you a scammer 🤔 so we can report geel and get him banned from his own site

That's not how mafia works.

2 hours ago, 3.50 said:

Geel stole hats from scammers?  If that's true, it could be considered an unprecedented abuse of power, although certainly amusing.

1 hour ago, Mokky said:

1 hour ago, S T E W said:

That's not how mafia works.

I cannot confirm or deny he stole them but the history's i saw went

*scammer*

MP BOT #XXX

Geel

Scrapunu bot

like I said ill look for links

2 minutes ago, saveriocello said:

The Bonk Boy went back to the scammer after Geel had it.  Not sure what precisely happened in either case, but that makes me think he isn't just confiscating hats and selling them.

Maybe Geel identified them as a possible scammer, took the hat, personally gave it back to them and said, "gtfo with your hat, you can't sell it here"...?

3 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

The Bonk Boy went back to the scammer after Geel had it.  Not sure what precisely happened in either case, but that makes me think he isn't just confiscating hats and selling them.

Maybe Geel identified them as a possible scammer, took the hat, personally gave it back to them and said, "gtfo with your hat, you can't sell it here"...?

possibly I cant assume just looks odd

Got this answer when using bp issue tracker after mplc buy-order bought from scammer. Doesnt show mplc in history (unless deposited at earlier date oc) so history is scammer - me..

OverduePixels commented 3 days ago

Hello, there isn't much you can do other than notify us, if things like this does occur. As you had no control who can sell you things over at Marketplace, you won't be penalized for it. If future report does come up against this, please do keep the screenshot you provided handy. We also often reach out to users if we suspect something is amiss. I have kept a note of this, thank you for notifying us.

This is reply for OP. Im not associated with any other topic or people in that topic. Me and my family have learned from my previous mistakes

15 minutes ago, LeROY said:
Got this answer when using bp issue tracker after mplc buy-order bought from scammer. Doesnt show mplc in history (unless deposited at earlier date oc) so history is scammer - me..

OverduePixels commented 3 days ago

Hello, there isn't much you can do other than notify us, if things like this does occur. As you had no control who can sell you things over at Marketplace, you won't be penalized for it. If future report does come up against this, please do keep the screenshot you provided handy. We also often reach out to users if we suspect something is amiss. I have kept a note of this, thank you for notifying us.

This is reply for OP. Im not associated with any other topic or people in that topic. Me and my family have learned from my previous mistakes

Oh that makes me feel so much better and pretty much clears up my biggest fear. I was always worried about placing buy orders on unusual items as I always feared about getting some fenced good and looking like I traded directly with a marked scammer/alt. If this ever happens to me, I will contact admins/mods about the item. For now, I always check the history on any unusual hat I'm interested before purchasing.

Archived