Help with cashing out

This Particular User

So I'm cashing out...this time I really mean it

was initially going to try and sell stuff slowly on Marketplace in a way where I wouldn't lose like 40% of the potential money by just selling keys...but I really can't be bothered to at this point especially when I know that working literally any minimum wage job for a few months would get me more money than I've ever gotten in TF2.

So to actually get to my question, any recommendations on items I should buy to maximize Steam profits at least? I'd prefer stuff that will sell within a reasonable amount of time, but I have absolutely no idea where to start or what I should buy tbh, especially since there's so many micro-variations of the micro-variations of skins and killstreaked items on SCM.

List at a reasonable price on marketplace, come back a month later. If your prices are just good enough, most should be sold. You won’t get the maximum profit of course, but it’s probably not worth all the trouble to actively sell it for it’s full value. I’d avoid scm if I were you.

To specify my question, I'm basically asking what you'd all recommend I buy to resell with a bunch of refined and keys

maybe I would try using Marketplace again, but I also had issues trading items to their bots and keys (along with a lot of the more marketable items) are ridiculously cheaper on there for some reason and I'm kind of too lazy to trade a bunch of items around tbh

so I want to get some Steam money as opposed to having a bunch of metal and keys laying around at the very very least and I don't know what I should buy

21 minutes ago, This Particular User said:

I don't know what I should buy

If you're trying to maximize your cash, you don't buy anything. You convert it all to pure, then sell the pure.

Also, the general rule of thumb when cashing out, with everything, not just TF2, is that the more effort you put in in selling, the closer you'll get to full value back. If you want cash fast, everything can be quicksold or sold in bulk, but you'll get far less.

Here's a trick for you.

If you sell your Keys for Refined, then sell the Refined on Marketplace.tf, you won't be hit with the 10% fee from the commission as Marketplace.tf doesn't count items like Refined Metal into its fees. So if Keys are selling for $1.75, you sell said Key for 43 Refined, 0.04 x 43 = 1.72. Slightly lower then $1.75, but there's no fees there. You're saving way more money then just selling the Keys outright, it just requires a bit of patience. Hopefully this helps you!

Yep, with the value of his backpack, if he waits like 4 days for all his metal to sell, he will profit an extra 12 cents. Well worth the effort. 🤪

1) buy graded cosmetics for refined/ keys

2) sell on community market since the prices there are usually higher to minimize tax losses

3) $$$

1 hour ago, Mokky said:

1) buy graded cosmetics for refined/ keys

2) sell on community market since the prices there are usually higher to minimize tax losses

3) $$$

No.  Prices are "higher" on the SCM because prices are in a different currency--wallet funds, not real money.  It's like saying prices are higher in CAD than USD because something that's $3 USD costs $4 CAD--sounds good, but not actually true at all.

15 hours ago, This Particular User said:

So I'm cashing out...this time I really mean it

[...]

any recommendations on items I should buy

If you're cashing out, turn everything into keys/ToD tickets and cash out.  You won't regret it, and if you DO regret it, then you know it was a premature cashout and you can always cash back in.

Archived