Not sure about this user...

Philip

Okay so a random person added me on Steam.

Their profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/NewWaves/

They said they added me so they would have someone to play with in TF2. They didn't mention trading at all, however, which was weird because most random adds are trade based. I've checked their reputation and it was clean.

I've also checked their profile history:

https://steamid.uk/profile/76561198172029821

It is apparent they changed their profile A LOT, each to a similar degree. However, I didn't see anything malicious yet.

I need a bit of advice. I'm not sure who this person is or what they really want. I suspect they are trying to scam me, but I can't really think of any scam attempts that would really work in this situation. I'm good with avoiding the majority of scams, but I'm a little wary of hijackings which have been going around.

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

-

If anything, they look like an alt of https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198402391329 (maybe a new account because of a vac ban? idk)

You dont have to worry about phishing as long as you dont click links sent to you by this user and really, if you dont want to get a random add just for playing (which is normal for most people to not want), you can just unfriend him :) 

Rule for trading:

If something seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Never give your items without receiving anything in the trade window

3 hours ago, Zeus_Junior said:

If something seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Except all the lucky trades bigger traders get xd

10 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

Luck has nothing to do with it.

No indeed. Inbetween them getting bargains from scammers the hat usually ends up in a bot site first then as if by magic. Straight to the top. Check any histories for high tier hats that they have. you can guarantee 50% and over had a scammer owner which was then flipped to a trading bot then boom. ends up in the top 10 backpacks. Ive seen hundreds of instances of this. so master throne has a point

9 minutes ago, DanielDee said:

No indeed. Inbetween them getting bargains from scammers the hat usually ends up in a bot site first then as if by magic. Straight to the top. Check any histories for high tier hats that they have. you can guarantee 50% and over had a scammer owner which was then flipped to a trading bot then boom. ends up in the top 10 backpacks. Ive seen hundreds of instances of this. so master throne has a point

No, yes, absolutely.  That's precisely what I was implying. 

1 hour ago, 3.50 said:

Luck has nothing to do with it.

Luck has a ton to do with it, when i said that i referred to the crazy overpay deals bigger traders do from time to time and meant from experience aswell. I dont sometimes make ~200 keys from 2 trades just cause of skill.

59 minutes ago, DanielDee said:

I have no idea what youre talking about lmao. I speak about reputable big trades, not some gamblers who appear from nowhere/some coverups of trading scammers or some conspiracy theory like that xd

52 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

No, yes, absolutely.  That's precisely what I was implying. 

Well, i wasnt xd

12 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Except all the lucky trades bigger traders get xd

Im with master throne on this one, something sketchy is def going on..  🤣  😛

15 minutes ago, LeROY said:

Im with master throne on this one, something sketchy is def going on..  🤣  😛

Whats up with all of these people overthinking xd

When you have more hats (and better hats) like most high tier traders you tend to make better trades since you have more hats and thus more potential good offers (Sometimes at the cost of volume). Poor traders tend to have less desirable hats (and less of them) so naturally they get less "amazing" offers, but they might make more trades (with less profit of course). More expensive the hats you have, and the more of them you have = more room for profit

8 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Luck has a ton to do with it, when i said that i referred to the crazy overpay deals bigger traders do from time to time and meant from experience aswell. I dont sometimes make ~200 keys from 2 trades just cause of skill.

Most larger traders invest a lot of time, have a lot of experience, obviously have a lot of resources, and (in some cases) know precisely how to operate around the edges of the rules without crossing the line and being banned.  In my experience, those lucky trades usually happen because a person puts their self in a position to take advantage of them when they do come along--and I'm referring to both the honest traders and the shady ones; both are represented in high tier trading.  So perhaps lucky, but to at least some extent you make your own luck. 

2 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

but to at least some extent you make your own luck.

Who makes, who doesnt. I meant traders like me: only honest trading. But ofc outside that, you have a point, the point just hasnt got anything to do with what i initially commented.

Archived