Wanted to bring attention to new halloween unboxing and users.

Payback

Like every new update, people, like some high-tier traders seem to be on the hunt.

For what?

Just some new halloween effects they can snag off inexperienced users, and then resell for large amounts. 

I know it's 'buyer beware' and such, but is it really that hard to pay a fair price?

These hats aren't able to be priced by users yet due to lack of sales, and users are inconveniencing people by sharking these high-tier new effects.

https://backpack.tf/suggestion/5bd0e550cf6c7556217987fd

Guess it's just a personal pet peeve, but profiting off others' inexperience is a pretty low thing to do. 

The backpack.tf moderators/administrators are encouraging this behavior by their complete lack of action to protect new traders. Giving negative reputation points is irrelevant to people like Jhejh because most of the users they're scamming don't even know this website exists. So what's to stop people from copying sharks when they find out they can quintuple the value of their backpack in a year with little to no consequences?

5 hours ago, mehhhhhh said:

Repeat sharkers should be banned from using premium search imo

This. It's frustrates me to no end how this is not a thing. The premium search is such an enabler in itself...

iirc the justification of premium search was that it was meant to use update prices & is more for the community. The unintended side effect  is that it is a tool that enables veteran traders to hunt down usually inexperience traders because people can value whatever their item's value. 

I have a tough time understanding why tougher penalties don't apply to these users. If it's help the community (especially newer traders) then it shouldn't come at the cost at someone else expense when it's usually the 1 guy doing it over  & over to new users..

https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198197739413 this user was (rightfully) banned. What separates him from jhejh or iTrade or any of the high tier shakers. I honestly don't understand why they ban the demo guy but not the others, I'm not saying he shouldn't be banned by any means, but just why aren't the others banned? They do exactly the same thing time and time again.

13 minutes ago, Ninjah said:

https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198197739413 this user was (rightfully) banned. What separates him from jhejh or iTrade or any of the high tier shakers. I honestly don't understand why they ban the demo guy but not the others, I'm not saying he shouldn't be banned by any means, but just why aren't the others banned? They do exactly the same thing time and time again.

perhaps burden of proof?  from the ban note on the profile you linked, it sounds like they've seen chat logs and such

you are correct. iTrade had added me within 24 hours of opening the only strange purple energy pithy professional some time ago and quoted buy order prices for standard unusuals as current prices... I posted a picture of this on bptf and i got a warning for it!!!... and he got off scott free, not even a slap on the wrist.  you are correct. If you are in "their" pockets then the devs are biased towards their "employers" essentially. so to clarify the term, their employers would be high tier traders who pay for and use premium search in such manners..

they can also easily track who uses premium search and for what means. it would only take a few lines of code, a new db table with 4 or so fields.... but its not in there best interest to make premium users feel they cannot use something they have paid for..... so the tool itself even insights sharking. quite a conflict of interests across the board really.

4 hours ago, Ninjah said:

Note that I've actually had a conversation with this person before. He claimed he wouldn't be banned for his actions, and that all his -trusts would be removed except for a mods'. 

Oh boy, was he wrong.

Then again, he did shark a Burning Starboard for a 9 key taunt, so it makes sense, but it really doesn't matter how much it's for.

I use premium constantly to price unusuals, and recently noticed that they HAVE implemented a feature to stop people from sharking.

Basically, if you search for an unusual, you need to put an item definition. This most likely prevents sharkers from finding the newest unboxed unusuals, and heavily cuts down on the process. 

Despite this, there needs to be more done. Users like Jhejh need to be punished harder for these kinds of things.

Archived