'Rebuild Unusual Headgear' blueprint

Puddilicious

I think a great way to revitalize the Unusual hat market is to allow players to combine 2 Unusual hats into a random Unusual hat. This would greatly reduce the number of Unusual hats and would also remove almost all of the low tier Unusual hats from the economy as well as raise their value. The only downside is that higher tier hats will lose some value, but that should be offset by the increased value of the lower tier hats. Opening crates will become more profitable as even low tier hats will be worth a fair bit.

This would greatly increase the demand for Unusual hats in general and increase the value of Unusual hats as a whole.

Is there a guy that's in charge of TF2's economy or something? If so someone should teach him some basic economics. The unusual overabundance problem has been bothering me for a while now, they are supposed to be rare but according to this thread from 2013 there are more unusuals than people currently playing the game today. 

I really like your idea, and in addition to this feature Valve should make something that would basically be the unusual equivalent of chemistry sets, rare drops that would allow you to take say, 100 unusuals and convert them to 1 unusual hat that could be any hat and effect combo you want. It would basically be like paying 1000 keys for a god tier with the added benefit of taking a lot of garbage hats out of the market.  

If this idea were to be done would it be with current unusual effects or some new orgasm inducing effects also I would think that it would be better so that along with this trade up thing you use a class token to get a random hat out of a pool of new ones that are fire af for that class so basically expensive selective unusual unboxing that isn’t super specific though I do like the idea of having the ability to pick a hat and effect kind of thing I would do that solely to get a time warp mask of the shaman

Other downsides: low tier 1-3 existing hats getting deleted.

I really doubt the market would run out of low tiers making them pricier unless you could get limited hats and/or limited effects.

High tier traders will lose their backpack value, a lot of people will run away from trading and that would ruin the economy.

Such a drastic change that wasn't approved by the whole community would be a negative one, trust would diminish.

I think the influx of every hat in game would make unusuals unattractive, why would the common player buy a hat that will lose 40% value soon? For example all all-class hats are losing value after valve's additions so people are more interested in rare hats that can't be unboxed like certain halloween ones.

That would just kill value of all mid tiers and high tiers. Way i see it is we need like ~70ish or comparable number of keys to score random unusual hat - by combining 2 <10 keys hats that would drag random unusual unbox expense down close to factor 4x. This would probably do massive damage to whole economy and produce effect similar to all class crates - only this time to whole market.

The rich will just get richer, all the lower tier unusuals would be bought up and because the demand for them will be so high the prices will increase which will make the prices for higher-tier unusuals increase more.

19 hours ago, soz said:

Other downsides: low tier 1-3 existing hats getting deleted.

I really doubt the market would run out of low tiers making them pricier unless you could get limited hats and/or limited effects.

High tier traders will lose their backpack value, a lot of people will run away from trading and that would ruin the economy.

Such a drastic change that wasn't approved by the whole community would be a negative one, trust would diminish.

I think the influx of every hat in game would make unusuals unattractive, why would the common player buy a hat that will lose 40% value soon? For example all all-class hats are losing value after valve's additions so people are more interested in rare hats that can't be unboxed like certain halloween ones.

Low tiers (7-9 keys) will definitely disappear because numerically, you will average at least 14-18 keys with the results of the blueprint. You lose nothing by using low tiers in the blueprint and have the potential to gain a lot.

I don't really consider there to be an overabundance of unusuals out there, as even the most common ones (taunts, mercenary grade hats with limited effect pools) are still only around 100 or so in existence, which is still quite rare in the grand scheme of things. Besides, unusuals aren't there to be a monetary investment, they're there to make your merc look pretty.

Also, another major downside not yet mentioned is that this would be a godsend for scammers. Scam two low-tier hats like they normally do, trade 'em to a private account, craft them, and now they have laundered their ill-gotten gains into a fresh unusual with no scammers in the history.

36 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

I don't really consider there to be an overabundance of unusuals out there, as even the most common ones (taunts, mercenary grade hats with limited effect pools) are still only around 100 or so in existence, which is still quite rare in the grand scheme of things. Besides, unusuals aren't there to be a monetary investment, they're there to make your merc look pretty.

Also, another major downside not yet mentioned is that this would be a godsend for scammers. Scam two low-tier hats like they normally do, trade 'em to a private account, craft them, and now they have laundered their ill-gotten gains into a fresh unusual with no scammers in the history.

Yes, the ability to make scammed hats disappear is a problem, but that would effect low tier hats mostly. Scammers probably won't craft away a Burning Team Captain.

2 hours ago, Puddilicious said:

Low tiers (7-9 keys) will definitely disappear because numerically, you will average at least 14-18 keys with the results of the blueprint. You lose nothing by using low tiers in the blueprint and have the potential to gain a lot.

or you craft two nuts n bolts and get one nuts n bolts hat 

6 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

This. I like the OP idea conceptually but it's too easy to abuse. 

Although I did always wonder how an Unusualifier craft system would work, where you craft two hats with the same effect and get an unusualifier (with that effect) for some other random cosmetic.

Archived