How does "adding to friends list" trading work?

DiscoDonuts

I'm getting into trading and I've seen people with trades that say "Add me". I've never done this because I don't understand it but I forgot that it works both ways and that if I'm gonna sell stuff, I have to know how methods of trading work because other people are gonna add me.

Somebody (ending in trade.tf so I assume it's for a trade) added me to their friends list. How does friends list trading work? What should I know? What should I do? How does it end?

Thanks for help!

Not sure whether your question is a troll or not, but I’ll assume it isn’t. 

People add others or want others to add them when trading because of a few reasons. The biggest reason though, is that they can discuss about the trade. If you the unusual you want to buy has low buy orders, so you want them to lower their price, or whether you think they’ll be interested in a certain unusual, or how low you can negotiate their price down to, these are all things that wouldn’t be possible just by sending trade offers. I was confused by your post and kinda believed it was a troll because I’ve never heard of someone that only trades through offers (except some collectors and weirdos) 

if you didn’t know that people usually talk through a trade though, you most likely shouldn’t be trading in the first place....all you’ll do is lose profit, not kidding.

21 minutes ago, R3SP4WN said:

if you didn’t know that people usually talk through a trade though, you most likely shouldn’t be trading in the first place....all you’ll do is lose profit, not kidding.

I'm new to trading and no one's ever tried to add friends before. It's only been through trade offer links.

12 minutes ago, Jambles said:

I'm new to trading and no one's ever tried to add friends before. It's only been through trade offer links.

I'll try and add a bit more on what R3 has already said.

The main reason for someone adding you as R3 already mentioned is them wanting to hopefully debate your price, or you debating the price they are selling from. Just because someone is selling something for X amount it doesn't mean it's 100% fixed and the price cannot be lowered by chatting and discussing the trade.

I can see your profile is pretty much 'naked', i'd suggest to make public your comment section so people can actually comment before adding you so you know what they want. Change your bio too and express if you wish people to leave a comment before the add, some people will be smart enough to read and comment, others will just add without looking at your profile. As far as i understand, you received an Australium Ambassador today, congrats if you were playing MvM and got it from there. 

Now, since you don't seem like a knowledgeable trader, people will try and offer less on it so they can easily make a profit from your inexperience.

Please do not sell your australium before consulting yourself with the backpack.tf community price, which you can find here,  CLICK ME. The ambi is being sold for a low of 9.71 Keys and the highest buyer is for 9.07 Keys, personally being an item you have received i would keep it as i assume it has some form of sentimental value as being the first australium you received from the MvM mode.

You mentioned you only trade by trade offers, i'd try and move away from that and do your best to debate the price of an item that is being sold so you can get the best price for your money!

If you need any more help, feel free to quote me on here or however you want to reach me and i'll do my best to explain in further details what i said or other questions you may have!

Have a good day, and don't get your items scammed/sharked!

3 hours ago, R3SP4WN said:

People add others or want others to add them when trading because of a few reasons. The biggest reason though, is that they can discuss about the trade. If you the unusual you want to buy has low buy orders, so you want them to lower their price, or whether you think they’ll be interested in a certain unusual, or how low you can negotiate their price down to, these are all things that wouldn’t be possible just by sending trade offers. I was confused by your post and kinda believed it was a troll because I’ve never heard of someone that only trades through offers (except some collectors and weirdos) 

To add on to this, even if I'm on a trade server with a set deal in place I often prefer to add the counterparty for one of us to send a trade offer instead of the in-trade window. There are instances where it can be buggy. Furthermore, if you're dealing with a large number of keys and/or metal it helps to use an internet browser window to either zoom out and count the items or use scripts.

Archived