(opinion) Searching for specific unusuals shouldn't have to require you to pay money

XenSakura

While i realize that backpack.tf still needs a way to make money, I personally do not agree with having to pay money in order to find unusuals. First off, this can cause a headache for novice price suggesters who want to get into the price suggesting scene. Secondly, this prevents people from getting their dream unusuals. For example, I am currently looking for a frostbite tyrolean, but there's none on Classified's and without backpack.tf premium, it'll be impossible to find it.

But hey, that's just my opinion, what's yours?

my opinion is that premium costs, like, $5 a month and if you can't afford that then whatever unusual you can't find on classifieds is outside of your price range

1 hour ago, Mew2! said:

I personally do not agree with having to pay money in order to find unusuals.

So you think that they deserve no compensation for the time and effort and expense required to provide and maintain the service.

Cool.

3 hours ago, 3.50 said:

So you think that they deserve no compensation for the time and effort and expense required to provide and maintain the service.

Cool.

I realize they require money, but this part of backpack.tf premium is too useful for only premium members to use...

so...

😕

1 hour ago, Mew2! said:

I realize they require money, but this part of backpack.tf premium is too useful for only premium members to use...

so...

😕

It's already been addressed that they'll provide necessary info for price suggestions, so the only argument you have left is that you really want it but don't want to pay money for it.

1 hour ago, Mew2! said:

So, you're saying that it's a rather valuable feature? Perhaps valuable enough to charge a premium for?

53 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

It's already been addressed that they'll provide necessary info for price suggestions, so the only argument you have left is that you really want it but don't want to pay money for it.

However, overall it just makes the whole process to complicated when you should be doing it independently.

44 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

So, you're saying that it's a rather valuable feature? Perhaps valuable enough to charge a premium for?

nvm

2 hours ago, Mew2! said:

so...

😕

This is one of the main reasons to pay for premium, and coupled with stuff like the deals section, it makes paying for it very worth it.

1 hour ago, LSO said:

This is one of the main reasons to pay for premium, and coupled with stuff like the deals section, it makes paying for it very worth it.

I feel that using valve's data and locking it behind a paywall is kindof dumb.

33 minutes ago, Mew2! said:

Its not valve's data, bp.tf cant just search for an item by using valve's data, items only appear on bp.tf premium when they get registered on the site, which is when someone views the item on the site, via looking at someones backpack on the site, looking at their own backpack on the site and otherwise. If it was just valve's data you could easily do it yourself without the use of premium

2 minutes ago, shaunleewenjie said:

Its not valve's data, bp.tf cant just search for an item by using valve's data, items only appear on bp.tf premium when they get registered on the site, which is when someone views the item on the site, via looking at someones backpack on the site, looking at their own backpack on the site and otherwise. If it was just valve's data you could easily do it yourself without the use of premium

35 minutes ago, Mew2! said:

Which is why you see so many "missing" items or items which have decreased in number of existence or one of ones that turn out to be one of two's or otherwise.

If searching for specific unusual was free on here it would make a shark's job a lot easier and I could easily see it increase the number of sharks. As someone who's been sharked before and known sharks well I am strongly against this. 

4 hours ago, Lexi said:

If searching for specific unusual was free on here it would make a shark's job a lot easier and I could easily see it increase the number of sharks. As someone who's been sharked before and known sharks well I am strongly against this. 

I know sharks use it, but they buy backpack.tf premium anyways. This technically means backpack.tf is helping sharkers and accepting their money, so...

It's a convoluted web.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea that the 5 dollar fee reduces the amount of sharking when really it just makes the people that are serious about sharking have the whole pool to themselves. 5 bucks ain't nothing when you make 50 bucks on your first shark.

On 9/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, Mew2! said:

While i realize that backpack.tf still needs a way to make money, I personally do not agree with having to pay money in order to find unusuals. First off, this can cause a headache for novice price suggesters who want to get into the price suggesting scene. Secondly, this prevents people from getting their dream unusuals. For example, I am currently looking for a frostbite tyrolean, but there's none on Classified's and without backpack.tf premium, it'll be impossible to find it.

But hey, that's just my opinion, what's yours?

Those $5 are easily worth the amount of time you spent probably looking for the hat and the convenience it gives. Also, it isn't impossible. I already tracked one down:

https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Unusual Vintage Tyrolean?filter=frostbite

Steam market ones are a pain in the ass to track down to an account but very possible. 

Archived