Invisible Comments on Suggestions?

٠•● Pollen Zest

This is as simple as it sounds, on multiple suggestions for some reason it shows that it has more comments than it actually does like this.

https://gyazo.com/780ac5a63aee1f808d160acc48909694

And just to show I'm not crazy here's the rest of the suggestion.
https://gyazo.com/e1274031c7210a54a5114c2ec869743a

I just want to know what's causing this glitch.

They're private mod comments. You'll often see them on suggestions that have been open for a month or so, I presume, to be used as note taking about whether a suggestion should be kept up for longer to get more sales or whether there's doubt about a suggestion to be accepted.

Example:

https://backpack.tf/suggestion/5b57e661cf6c752c0d1c2fe5 - 8 comments said to be here, but only 6 visible

43 minutes ago, Mengh facepalms. said:

They're private mod comments. You'll often see them on suggestions that have been open for a month or so, I presume, to be used as note taking about whether a suggestion should be kept up for longer to get more sales or whether there's doubt about a suggestion to be accepted.

Example:

https://backpack.tf/suggestion/5b57e661cf6c752c0d1c2fe5 - 8 comments said to be here, but only 6 visible

Well thanks, it's kinda pointless that they show up at all though, isn't it?

8 minutes ago, ٠•● Pollen Zest said:

Well thanks, it's kinda pointless that they show up at all though, isn't it?

Eh. I guess you could use it as an indicator as to check that suggestion in the next coming days and provide further updates to convince the almighty price moderators to accept your suggestion.

27 minutes ago, Mengh facepalms. said:

Eh. I guess you could use it as an indicator as to check that suggestion in the next coming days and provide further updates to convince the almighty price moderators to accept your suggestion.

I suppose, but as they are private the mods could be talking about literally anything.

11 minutes ago, Woifi The Viking said:

We could, and we are, and you will probably never know muhaha. Anyways I don't think its a problem.

Yeah it's more of a minor inconvenience if anything, I was more curious as to what was going on. 

1 hour ago, ٠•● Pollen Zest said:

Yeah it's more of a minor inconvenience if anything, I was more curious as to what was going on. 

It is a secret to everybody, you will never know.

• 1 month later...

Why do the mods do this anyway? Wouldn't it be better to let the comments be known to the suggester, or at least make it so the hidden comments are hidden to everyone besides the suggester and mods?

10 hours ago, regi said:

Why do the mods do this anyway? Wouldn't it be better to let the comments be known to the suggester, or at least make it so the hidden comments are hidden to everyone besides the suggester and mods?

I agree, if there's reason to delay accepting a suggestion, the suggestor should know instead of being in the dark.

• Administrators

They're usually quick thoughts when a mod doesn't have time to fully research something, to make it easier/quicker for another mod if they do. Any that are more concrete should be posted as regular comments, I agree, and I've encouraged mods to do so.

3 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

They're usually quick thoughts when a mod doesn't have time to fully research something, to make it easier/quicker for another mod if they do. Any that are more concrete should be posted as regular comments, I agree, and I've encouraged mods to do so.

Well I guess that is something, still, A mod should say what this thing want researched is, as anyone else could help in finding the information they want. 

Though an easier solution though would be disabling them, though I don't even need to ask to know that is impossible.

5 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

I don't want them disabled, they serve a purpose sometimes. 

Pretty much what I expected, maybe returning to the original purpose of this thread then, their existence should be a little more clear, (A mention in the suggestion guide if there isn't one already) and perhaps when a suggestion is accepted they should either disappear, or become visible.

• Administrators

While it is usually best to discuss openly, there are also many cases where extra information does not necessarily clarify something to a suggester. This is where we utilize moderator comments (aka "invisible" comments) to prevent cluttering up a suggestion.

Many such comments are also moderators discussing a certain suggestion. If we have our doubts about specific events (and for instance want to gather opinions), or if the suggestion relates to or even completely hinges on another suggestion, we want that overview for ourselves.

Some of the comments are literally just a link to another suggestion to show that they are related and/or that they share the same issue (e.g {link} this first, {link} see issue here). We could leave those comments publicly and confuse everyone that reads it (including the suggester himself), which really only leads to unnecessary questions.

Others can be mods showing their view on a suggestion, and asking what other mods think. We have a discord channel for this as well, but to keep everything related to a specific suggestion concisely available (especially when there are multiple suggestions under discussion) is very helpful for us to have all opinions situated there too. Here too, it would only confuse people - primarily the suggester - in situations where we aren't sure how to deal with a certain situation yet, and want to make a uniform decision as a team.

Then, there's a very commonly used "leave up/ wait for more sales", mostly accompanied by a reason as to why it should wait (barring the obvious). This includes current (mostly young) sellers; showing which history it concerns and who owns it. It's a means for us to track how a current seller lists his items and whether or not they're relisting. Doing this privately is to avoid unnecessary resuggestions when it ends up quickselling or when the listing goes inactive. If we already know it's going to be an issue, or if it is sure that a resuggestion is needed, we will leave these comments publicly.

These are just a few examples of how they are typically used. Overall, I see it as beneficial. I do not see any harm done and as such removing/disabling them serves no purpose. If we believe it's better to discuss something with the suggester, or discuss it for all to see, then we will.

6 hours ago, Foamy the Fearsome said:

These are just a few examples of how they are typically used. Overall, I see it as beneficial. I do not see any harm done and as such removing/disabling them serves no purpose. If we believe it's better to discuss something with the suggester, or discuss it for all to see, then we will.

I agree that serve an alright purpose, if they didn't, they wouldn't exist anymore, my issue still lies with their visibility, as having the comment tally rise when one happens is kinda pointless, considering that we generally speaking, can't see them.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, ٠•● Pollen Zest said:

I agree that serve an alright purpose, if they didn't, they wouldn't exist anymore, my issue still lies with their visibility, as having the comment tally rise when one happens is kinda pointless, considering that we generally speaking, can't see them.

Why is this important?

8 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

Why is this important?

It's the original reason why I made this thread, and it's important, since if the comment total didn't rise, I honestly wouldn't have an issue here.

3 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

I still really don't see why this matters remotely. 

My point was that having the comment total rise for mod comments is unneeeded, and thus matters as the suggestor can't see them anyway, But I see that this will be just another back and forth point, so I give up, this probably wasn't worth it anyway.

• ٠•● Pollen Zest locked this topic

Archived