Warn users that festive items are different to their festivized variants

Mengh.

Pretty much what the title says.

It's getting more and more common for there to be victims of this scam where festivized items are misrepresented as their festive variants, mainly tricking new users. Backpack.tf can't prevent these scams from happening, but the best way for there to be less victims is to tell people that festive items are different from their festivized variants upon festive item stat pages (since they are more accessible) and to educate them about the fact that there is a difference.

OVqUv7i.png

It is quite difficult to get the pricing of festivized items as they don't even show up in the Backpack.tf price search bar, leading to users believing that it is the same item as its festive counterpart. Much like how Backpack was able to provide info boxes upon the profiles of users that are impersonated regularly, you could employ the same tactic here but with item stat pages.

FExUf9G.png

Clicking on "Strange Festivized Scattergun" in the alert box will lead you to the harder-to-find page of the Strange Festivized Scattergun like so: https://backpack.tf/stats/Strange/Festivized Scattergun/Tradable/Craftable

From there, they can compare the prices between the two variants and really see that there is a difference, making them be more cautious.

This would most likely help new users, but in my experience many of the users who are scammed this way don't know how to properly use the search function. This will help mitigate the problem, but more importantly they need to be more visible in the search bar. As of now, you should be able to view to stats of a festivized weapon by just simply searching it in the search bar. However, you get no result.

OVqUv7i.png

Instead, I propose adding a prompt that explains the differences when you search for a festive or a festivized item. Another variation of this could have two buttons: one that takes you to the festive variant and one that takes you to the festivized version. This would greatly help new users avoid the scam.

PRSlOuO.png

10 hours ago, Mr Mundy said:

This would most likely help new users, but in my experience many of the users who are scammed this way don't know how to properly use the search function. This will help mitigate the problem, but more importantly they need to be more visible in the search bar. As of now, you should be able to view to stats of a festivized weapon by just simply searching it in the search bar. However, you get no result.

Same argument can be made about the impersonator banner. Alot of people who fall for impersonation scams will fall for it anyways, same effect as people putting "impersonated" in their name and writing a paragraph about how they have no alts ect. The warning you suggested just seems rather annoying for the majority of people

14 hours ago, Torb | Elite Spell Trader™ said:

The warning you suggested just seems rather annoying for the majority of people

You could include a button that turns it off permanantly. Maybe phrase it like “I understand the risks and would not like to see this message again.”

Archived